Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/4/2021 5:31:33 PM EDT
Hi all,

Absolutely zero traction and just elevation of the idea. I’m taking an RSO course at Isaak Walton FX/ARL chapter. RSOs today brought up me getting involved, mentioned on their own that there was interest in doing suppressed night vision / thermal shoots in the past (of which I have some exposure to). Legally, the range can operate until midnight as well.

Knowing the folks out here that have that stuff, myself included, is this something that folks would do once a month if it was made available? IWLA has been warm to a lot of new things recently. Steel targets are up now, a gong, I shot a grenade launcher on the range with chalk rounds, hornets nest rounds, etc., a month ago, where the RSO and then president was very interested, etc.

I wouldn’t be surprised if it was desired that it could be put in motion during future winter months when the days get short.

Kind Regards,
Link Posted: 12/4/2021 11:22:16 PM EDT
[#1]
I am kind of wondering where you got the info it’s legal for the shooting range to be open until midnight?

I am assuming you mean shooting on the range until midnight, not just holding meetings there or something.
Link Posted: 12/4/2021 11:53:29 PM EDT
[#2]
I’m a member there and go quite often.  No real fun toys for me until I get the last two done with school.
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 3:33:15 AM EDT
[#3]
i've never been shooting there but i would be interested in this
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 12:44:56 PM EDT
[#4]
I’m interested.  Good time of year with early sunsets.
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 7:45:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Range officers said shooting can be done until midnight it just hasn’t been to 1. Keep peace with neighbors and 2. Range lighting isn’t really a thing. Suppressed night vision work be a workaround.

I completed the range officer course today, so I’ll look to make inroads on it. Worst case I RSO for awhile, buy a MAWL or other IR product, then use my suppressor and PVS-14 with it to demo the idea to some folks for a sign off on the idea. My hunch is as long as the rules are tight, it’s all within 7 yards of the berm, or back under cover with 25yd, 50yd, 75yd, and 100yd options they’d be fine. As mentioned, I was lobbing 40mm chalk rounds and 18 22lr shot hornets nest from an M203 not too long ago.

There’s red tape where it needs to be but has all struck me as the place is both prudent and reasonable.
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 8:27:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Range officers said shooting can be done until midnight it just hasn’t been to 1. Keep peace with neighbors and 2. Range lighting isn’t really a thing. .
View Quote

I think the county might disagree with what that range officer told you. Somebody might get away with it shooting suppressed subsonic 9mm or maybe subsonic 300 blk out but start popping off 308 or .223, even through a can, and I would bet the cops will be showing up after the neighbors call.

Link Posted: 12/5/2021 8:52:15 PM EDT
[#7]
I would be interested. Suppressed pistol caliber would likely be the way to go.
Link Posted: 12/6/2021 10:36:36 AM EDT
[#8]
I’m available

ETA if you need IR weapon attachments, I have spares you can borrow
Link Posted: 12/6/2021 11:39:49 AM EDT
[#9]
I'd be in for a monthly night match.

Suppressed PCCs and .22lr would be the best go to firearms. Keep the ranges short and noise level low.
Link Posted: 12/6/2021 4:33:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Interested
Link Posted: 12/6/2021 8:01:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Always up for that sort of stuff.
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 11:50:38 AM EDT
[#12]
Used to be a member there, wasn't using the membership so let it lapse.  Don' have any toys to bring yet, but would be interested.  I was a CRO in another life.
Link Posted: 12/8/2021 10:03:19 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Used to be a member there, wasn't using the membership so let it lapse.  Don' have any toys to bring yet, but would be interested.  I was a CRO in another life.
View Quote

This is the IWLA out on Rte 28, yes?

If so, I too was a member there years back. Have since found private land to use, but it was nice for my needs when I first got to NoVA in 2012 and I could see a night shoot being doable on the 100yd range.
Link Posted: 12/8/2021 10:13:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Would be game.
Link Posted: 12/10/2021 5:26:08 PM EDT
[#15]
I'm in. Got a suppressed mp5 in best mm that I can slap a peq onto for quiet fun
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 11:04:08 AM EDT
[#16]
bump
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 10:03:59 PM EDT
[#17]
I’m genuinely surprised IWLA ARL/FX would even entertain this. I gave up my membership about three years ago after being a member for 25 years when they banned ANY ammunition that had ANY steel content and gave the RSOs magnets.
Link Posted: 2/8/2022 5:31:08 PM EDT
[#18]
Bump. Maybe get elite to allow us to do it with lights off?
Link Posted: 2/8/2022 7:22:22 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I’m genuinely surprised IWLA ARL/FX would even entertain this. I gave up my membership about three years ago after being a member for 25 years when they banned ANY ammunition that had ANY steel content and gave the RSOs magnets.
View Quote

Used to be a member there too. Every time I went to shoot there, no RSO, couldn't shoot. So I went through the NRA RSO class they sponsored. Went to a membership meeting and the head Fudd said even though I took the RSO course and was a good member in standing, no guarantee I would be allowed to be an RSO.   Never went back and let my membership lapse.  

As for shooting at night, the county noise ordinance comes into play.
unfairfax county noise ordinance
Link Posted: 2/10/2022 10:49:20 AM EDT
[#20]
I am a member and have been for awhile. I get most of my use on the shotgun range. The rifle/pistol range is of near zero utility as a pistol range, but is a great place to take my kids with their rifles.

Attachment Attached File

Given the noise rules, I guess if you can keep it under 80 decibels (wherever that is measured) you are good to go after 10pm. And 100 dB from 7am - 10pm. So from just a noise perspective, the rules aren't terrible, especially if measured at someones house rather than on the IWLA property.

That said, there are some very old agreements with the county that prohibit noise at certain times. I would be stunned if anything in their said shooting until midnight is legit, but would love to be wrong.

-shooter
Link Posted: 2/15/2022 8:45:51 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

Bump. I'll send an e-mail.
Link Posted: 2/15/2022 1:26:34 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That could be even cooler, as it'll be about as dark as you can make an environment and force white/IR light use, which really lets you see if your kit is set up properly ref shadows, dead space, etc. you might not have to deal with if natural illum is present.

Seems like it would be the easiest way around the noise limits and neighbors as well.
Link Posted: 2/15/2022 2:09:11 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Used to be a member there too. Every time I went to shoot there, no RSO, couldn't shoot. So I went through the NRA RSO class they sponsored. Went to a membership meeting and the head Fudd said even though I took the RSO course and was a good member in standing, no guarantee I would be allowed to be an RSO.   Never went back and let my membership lapse.  

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

All of this.  Alum here as well; gave up membership when decided ESS had staying power.  That said, great to hear it’s being discussed. Would have been a complete non starter even five years ago, IMO.

Link Posted: 2/16/2022 4:58:38 PM EDT
[#24]
@skydive
@AnvilUSMC
Link Posted: 2/16/2022 9:58:43 PM EDT
[#25]
@mjohn3006

Quoted:

I have thermal. I have suppressed. I have full auto. I also have interest.
View Quote

As do I
Link Posted: 2/16/2022 11:01:26 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
@mjohn3006
View Quote

I have thermal. I have suppressed. I have full auto. I also have interest.
Link Posted: 2/17/2022 7:52:49 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
@skydive
@AnvilUSMC
View Quote

Definitely interested.

Would we need to become members of your IWLA chapter or would it be a fee to shoot? I’m a member of the Loudoun chapter and an rso too.

I don’t know what your experience is with shooting under nods, but safety is a different ball game. Were you thinking of having the range run like a normal sight in range, with everyone shooting from established stations? Or more like a class/competition?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top