Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/5/2018 3:21:05 PM EDT
I have a Toro leaf blower that I haven't used in a couple of years.  It was not drained and the mix has been sitting there all that time.  It tries to fire but will not start after I drained the old mix out and put new in.  It's practically new as it was used very little since I got it but I need it now.  Anything to try or should I just drop it off for a look see?  Thanks.
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 5:11:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 5:52:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Agree sounds like a clogged carb. Heavy spray of carb cleaner hopefully opens it up for you.
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 8:09:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks guys.  I'll give it a shot.
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 8:40:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It could be a dirty or stuck needle/seat.  Have you tried spraying any carb cleaner in there?  Sometimes a nice tap with a mallet can free things up as well.
View Quote
Happy birthday
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 9:52:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Just had this happen to me with a very old Craftsman blower. Tried it again the next day and it fired right up, figured maybe I somehow got the plug wet or got something stuck in the wrong position when I had it upside down draining old mixture.
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 10:54:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Conn, look up your equipment on ereplacementparts.com and cross reference the carburetor number to amazon. I was going to rebuild my stihl blower's carb and the kit was almost $30, shipped, on ereplacementparts.  Amazon had a complete carb for $16 w/ free shipping . No brainer
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 9:00:25 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 8:04:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Once you got it back up and running the box store sell the ethanol free premix gas. That's all I use in my two strokes now
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 8:17:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote
Oh shit happy birthday!
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 8:18:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Once you got it back up and running the box store sell the ethanol free premix gas. That's all I use in my two strokes now
View Quote
Yeeeep. Cost sucks but it’s worth it unless you can find some ethanol free gas in your area to make premix.
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 8:24:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Oh shit happy birthday!
View Quote
Wait, super mod birthday? Why wasn’t there some ridiculous dancing banana thread? Happy birthday!!
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 12:29:53 AM EDT
[#12]
I make my own pre mix for running my stuff but once done and it will sit I empty the ethanol stuff and fill with the pre mix I buy. I use Stihl moto-mix but any of the stuff will work. Wish I could find non-ethanol gas for my four stroke stuff.
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 1:45:57 AM EDT
[#13]
Sounds like road salt rotted away the carb.

Good luck fixing it.  Should have moved out of this state while you had the chance.
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 11:56:56 AM EDT
[#14]
It lives.  Emptied the remaining mix.  Carb cleaner + new mix = zoom-zoom.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 5:59:43 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
It lives.  Emptied the remaining mix.  Carb cleaner + new mix = zoom-zoom.

Thanks.
View Quote
In all seriousness Seafoam actually works pretty good for cleaning up 2 stroke carbs too.  Will usually un-gum them without having to take it apart.
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 11:01:31 PM EDT
[#16]
Glad it worked out!  My hand held Stihl blower I used their MotoMix from day one (they extend the warranty if you buy two cans with the blower)  I only use about a gallon of two stroke fuel each season...  nice thing is there is no 2 stroke smoke or smell!  If you run two stoke engines a lot - stick with the regular mix (more cost effective)  This year I had a 4 stroke Cyclone Rake leaf sucker that had the gas cap compromised (by freeking squirrels ) !and the fuel was mixed with water.  I drained the tank and filled it with the ethanol free trufuel 4 cycle stuff from Home Depot.  I ran a 1/2 tank through it to make sure all the water vapor was gone.  I'll use regular gas this weekend, but my final tank before I put the equipment away for the season will be the ethanol free TruFuel + Stabil.  BTW - TruFuel 4 stroke is $25/Gallon so only use it for storage prep if you can't afford it!
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 9:15:50 AM EDT
[#17]
I get my ethanol free fuel from New England Cycle Center, or New England Racing Fuel. A little pricey in the can, but they can be refilled cheaper at the Race fuel place. You can Google sunoco's fuel finder and they will list what fuel is a available and where.

I prefer Optima because it is ethanol free and not a crazy high octane. About $60 per 5 gallon pail. I have a shake siphon to transfer it to other cans for mixing or for fuel that will be used.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top