Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/1/2024 8:09:16 AM EDT
[Last Edit: madmacs69]
In case y'all didn't know...

The Missouri GOP Local Caucus in each County and the City of St. Louis will be held on March 2, 2024.

2024 Caucus Overview
The Missouri GOP will be conducting a series of caucuses and conventions to elect delegates to represent Missouri at the Republican National Convention in Milwaukee, WI on July 16-18, 2024, where the Republican Party will elect our nominee for President of the United States and Vice President of the United States. This page will provide you with information relating to the caucus process, selection of delegates, et cetera.

WHO CAN I VOTE FOR AT THE CAUCUS? Currently eligible candidates for nomination are Donald Trump, Nikki Haley, and David Stuckenberg.

https://missouri.gop/missouri-gop-2024-caucus/locate-your-caucus/
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 10:00:01 AM EDT
[#1]
Is this new?
I thought we had primary elections in Missouri in August
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 11:13:32 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Bladeswitcher] [#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By seasprite:
Is this new?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Is this new?

We do have a primary in August, but that is for the other offices (statewide officials,  members of the legislature, etc.). The national parties will have nominated their presidential candidates prior to our August primary.

But yeah, this is a change. We used to have a presidential preference primary in the spring, but the legislature did away with it when it passed an election reform bill in 2022. Missouri political parties prepare for life after the presidential primary

Little known fact: Presidential primaries in Missouri have always been non-binding. Even when we voted, the parties actually selected presidential electors through caucuses and party meetings. The presidential primary was mostly meaningless. The state was spending money on it and it didn't actually do anything. BTW, Missouri's Republican Secretary of State (and gubernatorial candidate) Jay Ashcroft supported eliminating the primary: Secretary Ashcroft calls for eliminating Missouri’s presidential preference primary

“You all know that we have a presidential primary, we spend $9.1 million of taxpayer money,” says Ashcroft. “And then we ignore the results and we have a caucus that actually chooses delegates to choose who goes to the national conventions.” . . .

Missouri’s Legislature adopted the presidential preference primary in 1986, for one PPP to be held in 1988. Some at the time said it was aimed at helping then-U.S. Rep. Richard Gephardt, D-St. Louis County, in his 1988 presidential campaign. Congressman Gephardt ended his presidential run in March 1988, and ran again and was re-elected for his congressional seat.

Missouri used caucuses in 1992 and 1996. Then in 1998, the Legislature approved a PPP with no expiration date. That was Senate Bill 709, which was signed by then-Governor Mel Carnahan.

The state has held presidential preference primaries five straight times: in 2000, 2004, 2008, 2012 and 2016.

Link Posted: 3/1/2024 11:29:33 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Bladeswitcher] [#3]
Originally Posted By madmacs69:
In case y'all didn't know...

The Missouri GOP Local Caucus in each County and the City of St. Louis will be held on March 2, 2024 . . .

[i]WHO CAN I VOTE FOR AT THE CAUCUS? Currently eligible candidates for nomination are Donald Trump, Nikki Haley, and David Stuckenberg.
View Quote

Gee, I wonder who's going to win?

Anyone care to make a prediction? Put me down for Trump with 85%.
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 11:51:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Bladeswitcher:

We do have a primary in August, but that is for the other offices (statewide officials,  members of the legislature, etc.). The national parties will have nominated their presidential candidates prior to our August primary.

But yeah, this is a change. We used to have a presidential preference primary in the spring, but the legislature did away with it when it passed an election reform bill in 2022. Missouri political parties prepare for life after the presidential primary

Little known fact: Presidential primaries in Missouri have always been non-binding. Even when we voted, the parties actually selected presidential electors through caucuses and party meetings. The presidential primary was mostly meaningless. The state was spending money on it and it didn't actually do anything. BTW, Missouri's Republican Secretary of State (and gubernatorial candidate) Jay Ashcroft supported eliminating the primary: Secretary Ashcroft calls for eliminating Missouri’s presidential preference primary

View Quote

Thanks Bladeswitcher
I guess I'll go and check this out tomorrow. Looks like I need to be in the doors by 10:00 am
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 2:08:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Gee, I wonder who's going to win?

Anyone care to make a prediction? Put me down for Trump with 85%.
View Quote

I'm wondering how many Democrats are going to vote Haley...  it's not like they can't vote too.
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 2:58:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By madmacs69:

I'm wondering how many Democrats are going to vote Haley...  it's not like they can't vote too.
View Quote

I believe you have to register as a R to be admitted into the caucus; at least I had to attest to being one when I signed up to attend.
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 4:01:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Deuskid:
I believe you have to register as a R to be admitted into the caucus; at least I had to attest to being one when I signed up to attend.
View Quote

So (R) today... (D) tomorrow.
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 4:45:27 PM EDT
[#8]
I started watching one of the videos at the link madmacs69 provided. The video says there's a majority rule for this caucus. If I'm understanding this, if any candidate gets 50 percent or more at any caucus location, it's winner take all for that county. I can't imagine Trump not getting 50 percent in any county. With that rule in place, I don't see how he can get less than 100 percent of the delegates tomorrow.
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 5:50:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Do we get after action reports from those who participated?
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 9:11:47 PM EDT
[#10]
View Quote

I went to the Jackson county one in Lee's Summit. Over 500 people showed up. Wasn't sure what to expect. Had to sign a pledge to the GOP upon entering, then were given a card with the district we live in for the caucus. Started off with some procedural stuff, then moved on to the vote. Trump got over 400 votes between the 3 districts that were there. Hailey received I think around 30 some votes don't remember for sure.

Everyone would chant USA now and then, had a good energy about it. A couple of the Hailey supporters seemed to show a tiny bit of TDS, but everything went alright. After the vote they went on to do some other stuff, something about platforms but we had to go been there 2 hrs as it was and had other things going on, so we left before we could see what that was about.

It definitely needs some improvements, but was the first one so. I do expect they'll have it more dialed in the next time.    

There was a petition going around to recall Frank White, I signed that been wanting to get rid of that punk for a while.
There was also some talk of splitting Eastern Jackson county and calling it Truman county. Wouldn't mind this coming true.

Thats about all I can recall off the top of my head for now
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 11:39:15 PM EDT
[#11]

I went to the Jackson county one in Lee's Summit. Over 500 people showed up. Wasn't sure what to expect. Had to sign a pledge to the GOP upon entering, then were given a card with the district we live in for the caucus. Started off with some procedural stuff, then moved on to the vote. Trump got over 400 votes between the 3 districts that were there. Hailey received I think around 30 some votes don't remember for sure.

Everyone would chant USA now and then, had a good energy about it. A couple of the Hailey supporters seemed to show a tiny bit of TDS, but everything went alright. After the vote they went on to do some other stuff, something about platforms but we had to go been there 2 hrs as it was and had other things going on, so we left before we could see what that was about . . .
View Quote

Probably a fairly uncomfortable place for the Haley folks . . . especially if they were Democrat plants.
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 12:56:35 AM EDT
[#12]

Everyone would chant USA now and then, had a good energy about it. A couple of the Hailey supporters seemed to show a tiny bit of TDS, but everything went alright. After the vote they went on to do some other stuff, something about platforms but we had to go been there 2 hrs as it was and had other things going on, so we left before we could see what that was about.

It definitely needs some improvements, but was the first one so. I do expect they'll have it more dialed in the next time.    

There was a petition going around to recall Frank White, I signed that been wanting to get rid of that punk for a while.
There was also some talk of splitting Eastern Jackson county and calling it Truman county. Wouldn't mind this coming true.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Eastern Jackson County should split.

Clay and Platte county should leave KC.

Leave those nuts to finance their own BS.
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 9:31:52 AM EDT
[#13]
View Quote

As tuned in as you are, I'm surprised you didn't go to yours?  

I'm in the second congressional district [ann wagner] and in St Charles county.  We have ~ 20% of her district's population and, therefore 20% of the delegates.  We went 89% Trump and 11% Haley.  The whole event was friendly, everybody was respectful of each other.  

Had a friend attend the St Louis County gathering and they were 77% Trump and 23% Haley.  

St C head count was 230 and 18 delegates.  StL Cnty was 916 headcount and 84 delegates.  In this state 50% + 1 takes all.  

I saw sausage being made and it was not a smooth running machine, not surprising it being the first time really open to the public.  Has incited me to become more involved.  It is time to get the people involved.
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 1:51:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Bladeswitcher] [#14]
Originally Posted By Deuskid:

As tuned in as you are, I'm surprised you didn't go to yours?  . .  
View Quote

I'm not a Republican. (FWIW, I'm not a Democrat, either).
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 7:41:52 PM EDT
[#15]
My wife and I went to our small town caucus in NE MO…45 votes for Donald J. Trump…8 for Nikki Haley…enough said.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top