Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/21/2021 12:19:17 AM EDT
Anyone here work for frys? Make good money? Stressful? I posted in gd too but thought i could get some local input too.
Link Posted: 12/23/2021 4:09:53 PM EDT
[#1]
I worked at Fry's as a cashier 15 years ago.

It was typical minimum wage work - never enough got done, never enough employees; hours picked by seniority so lower level staff never enough hours available when picking schedule but people called out on theirs regularly so chances for extra shifts during the week - if you could drop everything and be there in under 30 minutes.  

Good as a second job or retirement job but if you have bills to pay or sanity you like; keep looking.
Link Posted: 12/23/2021 11:58:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Wife and a few of her friends worked there prob 15 years ago.  Cashier, stocking, ect.  They all liked it but don't miss it.  1 of her good friends started as a stock boy, went to the meat counter then produce.  Also went to college and got his degree.  Now frys (kroge moved him to Oregon for some pretty high paying gig).
Link Posted: 12/24/2021 12:35:43 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks guys. Im just looking to make some good money close to home and not work in education anymore
Link Posted: 12/24/2021 3:27:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I worked at Fry's as a cashier 15 years ago.

It was typical minimum wage work - never enough got done, never enough employees; hours picked by seniority so lower level staff never enough hours available when picking schedule but people called out on theirs regularly so chances for extra shifts during the week - if you could drop everything and be there in under 30 minutes.  

Good as a second job or retirement job but if you have bills to pay or sanity you like; keep looking.
View Quote

Sounds about like my first job at pavilions which was owned by vons in late 80s so california.I was 16 but like said seniority got the good hours we got the whats left to fill in.

Then come holiday hours we got shut out and others got the shifts they were great cause they paid triple time so no one wanted to give up a shift.But as just a bagger it was a fun job i got to help in produce often so it got me off the front checkstands.

In my situation now i wouldnt mind going back to supermarket work for part time.
Link Posted: 12/25/2021 6:45:19 AM EDT
[#5]
Have you thought about Costco? My neighbor works there and makes good money. He's worked there for over 25 years.
Link Posted: 12/25/2021 8:21:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Have you thought about Costco? My neighbor works there and makes good money. He's worked there for over 25 years.
View Quote

I have two friends that have worked for Costco for many years and are happy there.

I haven't heard about Frys though OP.
Link Posted: 12/26/2021 11:29:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Frys in CG is hurting for staff so bad they have advertisements on the gas pumps.
Link Posted: 12/27/2021 1:30:59 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I have two friends that have worked for Costco for many years and are happy there.

I haven't heard about Frys though OP.
View Quote

Yea considered it. But the distance from my house and travel time because the traffic at the closest costco is insane
Link Posted: 12/27/2021 10:29:34 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Frys in CG is hurting for staff so bad they have advertisements on the gas pumps.
View Quote

The deli in the Frys by me has been running a shortened schedule for months, closes at 4pm, due to lack of staff. One day last week, the deli was closed all day due to a lack of staff. The day before the butcher area was closed all day, I was told the entire dept. called off that day.
Link Posted: 12/29/2021 12:50:35 AM EDT
[#10]
But the governor said we are above pre plandemic employment now...hmm...
Link Posted: 12/29/2021 12:32:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

costco is kind of weird though, a family friend had 20+ years managerial experience with walmart and tried applying to costco. she was told they don't employ anyone with other retail experience because they only want things done a certain way
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top