Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/11/2021 4:58:15 PM EDT
Due for a renewal on electricity plan. Anyone had success with saving on a free night or weekend plan? Normally id skip straight to a standard rate, but checking them out this time a free plan is only about 2cents higher.
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 5:29:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Look at energy ogre.  $10 a month and they auto shop all the places for you.
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 7:56:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Get on the Ercot page with your house info, and you can see your usage throughout each day.  Maybe it would sum up time-of-day info over a year?  Whether a plan is good for you depends on how much time you spend around your house in the days in the summer, or how flexible you can be.  Night/weekend plans don't work for me since my wife works from home, and now I do half the time too.  So gotta keep the a/c frosty all day.  Also, in a house with not a great a/c and crappy ducts, I can't let it get hot since then it takes too long to get comfy again.

What kind of rates are you seeing for the paid hours?  If it's low enough, then it might be worth it.  Gotta do the math.  Maybe with more people stating home, there have been fewer folks using the weekends/night, so electric company deals may be getting better since they really want people to get off peak.

Previously when I have looked, the paid hours had been $0.20 or higher, which didn't make sense when I'm at $0.085/kwh all-in, with 3 year fixed contract.

If I had about 5 Tesla Walls that I could fill up each night with free juice, then run off it all day, that would be cool.  Of a giant reservoir to pump water up to, etc.

Link Posted: 5/11/2021 9:03:55 PM EDT
[#3]
I've downloaded our 15 min electrical usage for summer, winter, and shoulder months, then tried running the numbers on these free weekend and free nights plans multiple times.
Unless we were willing to make significant changes in lifestyle and comfort, they just do not work.
The companies plan on you thinking "it won't be hard"...but it is in the long term.

If you are all electric...don't cook, don't shower, don't do laundry, and don't run the AC weekday mornings and weekday evenings.  Maybe there are folks out there that it works for, but not our family
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 10:05:05 PM EDT
[#4]
I’ve been on one for a the last few years. Free electricity 21:00-06:00.  Wife and I have changed our life to align to this. We’re not normal. We pay for about 1/3 of the energy we use.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top