Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/15/2018 11:24:33 AM EDT
Did you inform the NY state police pistol permit office that you vacated NY?

Asking for a friend.
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 11:37:16 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 12:46:47 PM EDT
[#2]
I went to my sheriff's office and turned in my permit after I had moved everything out of state. This was 2017 before I had to recertify. I still own a property in NY and the pistol permit office said I could keep my permit.  I said no way, that most firearms I would own moving forward would be illegal in NY ( standard cap magazines) and I will not deal with recertification nonsense.
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 9:11:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Nope.. I still own a house and pay taxes there. Until I sell I’ll be just a thorn in the Il duces side and keep it
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 9:20:13 PM EDT
[#4]
No.

But I didn’t have a pistol permit.  
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 11:23:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Like everything else pistol related every county will have a different answer- in Erie people were told they would have to ship the pistols to an ffl in new state of residence via an ffl in New York, surrender permit then transfer pistols back to themselves upon arrival in the new state of residence. I called my permit office ( cattaraugus) they told me to mail my permit to them when I arrived in my new state with a letter informing them of relocation. Everything handles at the county level with no state involvement at all. And since I have bought multiple new guns in free America since moving, and my nics went through it appears that worked fine.
Best answer to to call the county permit office the permit is issued by to find out that county’s policy is. If you don’t know already each county marches to a different drummer
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 11:26:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
- in Erie people were told they would have to ship the pistols to an ffl in new state of residence via an ffl in New York, surrender permit then transfer pistols back to themselves upon arrival in the new state of residence.
View Quote
lol....sure That's gonna happen....what are they, insane?
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 3:13:33 AM EDT
[#7]
Erie is smoking.  
Thanks for the replies.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 3:23:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 5:07:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Mail the permit back to the county office, put your phone # and new address on the letter, if they call you and tell you that you broke the law, tell them to send the Troopers after you and that they can suck eggs.  Send pics of all your standard mags, and all the no-ban stuff you bought in your free-state. Problem solved.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 5:13:19 PM EDT
[#10]
On my way out I stopped at the PA welcome station and did a little happy dance.  At some point I suppose NY will figure out I'm gone.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 6:23:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
On my way out I stopped at the PA welcome station and did a little happy dance.  At some point I suppose NY will figure out I'm gone.
View Quote
This alleged hypothetical friend may or may not have prescribed to this theory a few years ago.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 7:18:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Happy Dance...

Heck i pulled over and turned around to NYS and gave Il Duche the universal friendship sign.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 7:38:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Happy Dance...

Heck i pulled over and turned around to NYS and gave Il Duche the universal friendship sign.
View Quote
hahaha, so did I!
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 7:59:30 PM EDT
[#14]
When I move later this year I may send my county a letter saying I moved and misplaced my permit and second card in the move.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 10:33:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Nope. Still have it. Never informed them of shit. I almost feel bad for the people I sold my house to. I’m sure they will love it when someone kicks in their door because I didn’t recertify.
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 7:49:46 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Nope. Still have it. Never informed them of shit. I almost feel bad for the people I sold my house to. I'm sure they will love it when someone kicks in their door because I didn't recertify.
View Quote
If it was NYC I would expect it and truly worry for them. Documented case of that happening with the then recently banned semi-autos in the early 1990's.
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 3:24:54 PM EDT
[#17]
Nassau county said to mail them a notarized letter saying that my guns have taken a one way trip out of the state and that's it.  One would have to be sent to the state police as well if any A-Salt weapons or 50+ year old m1 carbine mags were registered. You're getting out of all of this mess, best not to cause issues for yourself because the FBI thinks you have something outstanding in a previous state.
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 7:52:29 AM EDT
[#18]
I called the Monroe County Clerks office where my permit was issued and informed them I was moving out of state - the woman on the phone said - We don't do anything for out of state residents. ???   Out of extreme caution when moving I called the state police and asked If I can pack my guns and move them myself and they said - just keep them in your cargo.  I asked for her name and contact info if I was challenged and she asked why I wanted it - but then gave it.  Seems like people didn't even look up or quite know what the right answer is.

My NY neighbor was a retired state trooper and said they probably are just guessing - and the should have researched the right info and called back - but in NY - don't expect a government employee to do their job correctly.

So many people guessing and not researching that its troublesome - the cop that pulls you over for speeding may equally be unaware and out of uncertainty arrest and seize your property.
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 10:04:13 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

So many people guessing and not researching that its troublesome - the cop that pulls you over for speeding may equally be unaware and out of uncertainty arrest and seize your property.
View Quote
This is why when I move I'll be carrying several copies of the relevant sections of FOPA.
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 8:56:08 AM EDT
[#20]
Don’t forget to send them their precious license plates, too.

FUNY
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 9:06:28 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

FUNY
View Quote
Oh, yeah, they were all sorts of pissy about that.....
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 10:37:33 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

FUNY
View Quote
There is always a chance those get "damaged in the move", but they'll get them back.
Link Posted: 12/20/2018 1:52:59 PM EDT
[#23]
I keep all my tags.  Handy for throwing on a vehicle in my yard.  
Link Posted: 12/20/2018 11:19:52 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I keep all my tags.  Handy for throwing on a vehicle in my yard.  
View Quote
How well do those Liberty plates work for you?
Link Posted: 12/20/2018 11:34:27 PM EDT
[#25]
I told them Nothing

Link Posted: 12/20/2018 11:51:45 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 12/21/2018 1:58:52 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

FUNY
I actually gave NY back their plate that they charge you $1 to return.
I still have my PA plate though.
Link Posted: 12/21/2018 9:27:27 AM EDT
[#28]
Well NY lost 4 with me.. My last son when he returns from the sand box in Feb he will be moving to NC also.. so a total of 5 with three with very high paying Jobs..

It was all do to the Liberal Communist views of lack of rights and high taxes.

Ill be glad to sell my house and never return back to Communist NY.

Let it go the way of Detroit.
Link Posted: 12/21/2018 10:13:49 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Well NY lost 4 with me.. My last son when he returns from the sand box in Feb he will be moving to NC also.. so a total of 5 with three with very high paying Jobs..

View All Quotes
Quoted:

They lost 2 with me. My kids aren't old enough to work yet. I called my reps and told them how much my wife and I make and how much taxes we pay, and that we where moving it all to another state. Told them a list of reasons why. Of course they didn't care but I got it off my chest. My wife kept her job which was already outside of NY, and I started a business. I made more in the first year here than I did my last year in NY. I still own a rental property in NY and the only reason I kept it was I had excellent tenants.  They have a standing offer from me to purchase the place if they ever decide to, or I will list it in another 10 years and reinvest the money in a rental near me.
Link Posted: 12/21/2018 2:12:11 PM EDT
[#30]
I'm glad so many are moving the skilled workforce out of NY and bums in.

I think the way to go is to simply give NY the liberal support it needs to break it - and break it badly financially.  Let the welfare bums in and let the workers and innovators out.  Lets see how the utopia does with that.  Sooner or later it will run out of someone else's money.   NY tourism won't be the life blood of an economy.  Once NY goes full communist - I'd think it wouldn't keep much of any business there that requires highly skilled persons.

BTW - What is needed by Wall Street and why is it needed in NY?  Not an expert in financial sector - but with modern day networking - is it really necessary to have this skilled workforce HQ in NY City when so many other viable technology hubs exist in lower cost regions?  If NYC turns back into the crime ridden cesspool it was in the 1970s it would be great - let the libs have the utopia they deserve!
Link Posted: 12/21/2018 6:13:01 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote
While most of upstate New York may very well go third world, I cannot fathom that happening in the NYC metro area. With Amazon, Google and a slew of other companies expanding their operations in NYC, they will keep the area afloat. Frankly, the thought of $2 million one bedroom condo's is not something I want to ever deal with. But people are ready to relocate here and these corporations are willing to pay the salaries to get people here. The congestion is insane. We are getting all kinds of surcharges to pay for the subways. Money that will line the pockets of the unions and not produce one iota of real improvement (it never has).

I remember, as a kid, New York City of the 70's when it was going down the tubes fast. What a mess. Subways with graffiti everywhere. Burned out stripped cars on cinder blocks on every other street. Trash, broken street lights, etc. I do not see NYC going back to that.
Link Posted: 12/21/2018 11:04:22 PM EDT
[#32]
Nope NYS gov can go fuck itself
Link Posted: 12/22/2018 10:29:01 AM EDT
[#33]
Well, this thread escalated quickly.  
Link Posted: 12/25/2018 7:20:58 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I called the Monroe County Clerks office where my permit was issued and informed them I was moving out of state - the woman on the phone said - We don't do anything for out of state residents. ???   Out of extreme caution when moving I called the state police and asked If I can pack my guns and move them myself and they said - just keep them in your cargo.  I asked for her name and contact info if I was challenged and she asked why I wanted it - but then gave it.  Seems like people didn't even look up or quite know what the right answer is.

My NY neighbor was a retired state trooper and said they probably are just guessing - and the should have researched the right info and called back - but in NY - don't expect a government employee to do their job correctly.

View Quote
If you want someone to research a legal issue and give you an answer, see a lawyer. Seriously. I'm always amazed at the people who want free legal advice and expect us to regurgitate an immediate answer.
And more than likely they ask us because they DON'T want to pay the fee a lawyer would charge for that service.
The pistol permit folks might "research" an issue by asking the DA for an opinion, but since its not a case-related question, the DA would probably defer on investing any time on the issue.
I doubt that any of the standard pistol permit texts invest any print space on the issue.
Who do you expect them to consult on their research?
More than likely they'd call the NYSP just as you did.
Asking the NYSP for an opinion on anything gun related is a waste of time.
Just look at how they wouldn't give dealers and average citizens any definitive answers on anything SAFE Act related.
Its the same agency that threatens to arrest NY gun dealers if a handgun gets shipped into NYS from anything other than another FFL, despite the Feds saying that an FFL is only required at the receiving end.
So, no, I don't trust the answer the NYSP gives on anything gun related, but that's who your county pistol permit folks will consult with.....

My advice if someone were to ask me what to do in the case of a departing resident would be to contact the issuing judge and follow their instructions on how to proceed.
Link Posted: 12/25/2018 11:39:27 AM EDT
[#35]
I didn't consult with anyone on how to move my legally owned property out of NYS.  Didn't feel I needed to, or gave a shit for that matter, if someone thought I owed it to them.  I was told I wasn't welcome in the state due to my belief system, so I left.  I simply loaded my safe into a 24ft moving truck, then loaded all my guns, and mags into the safe.  Locked it up and then loaded the rest of my possessions into the truck around it.  You couldn't even see the safe when it was loaded.  Drove it to GA and never looked back.  Had my FL carry permit with reciprocity for all the states I drove thru and carried the whole time.
Link Posted: 12/25/2018 6:40:55 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

If you want someone to research a legal issue and give you an answer, see a lawyer. Seriously. I'm always amazed at the people who want free legal advice and expect us to regurgitate an immediate answer.
And more than likely they ask us because they DON'T want to pay the fee a lawyer would charge for that service.
The pistol permit folks might "research" an issue by asking the DA for an opinion, but since its not a case-related question, the DA would probably defer on investing any time on the issue.
I doubt that any of the standard pistol permit texts invest any print space on the issue.
Who do you expect them to consult on their research?
More than likely they'd call the NYSP just as you did.
Asking the NYSP for an opinion on anything gun related is a waste of time.
Just look at how they wouldn't give dealers and average citizens any definitive answers on anything SAFE Act related.
Its the same agency that threatens to arrest NY gun dealers if a handgun gets shipped into NYS from anything other than another FFL, despite the Feds saying that an FFL is only required at the receiving end.
So, no, I don't trust the answer the NYSP gives on anything gun related, but that's who your county pistol permit folks will consult with.....

My advice if someone were to ask me what to do in the case of a departing resident would be to contact the issuing judge and follow their instructions on how to proceed.
View Quote
I actually asked several lawyers - They said they didn't know even after looking at the statutes and one thought they actually violated interstate commerce laws n some ways - Lawyers are like specialty doctors where they only really know their respective personal specialty and guess at the rest -

As you can see by the recent Buffalo DA also didn't know the SAFE act rules very well either.  Police or lawyers even DA lawyers  don't know the law - but that is expected There are simply too many laws and more coming every day.

I doubt your comment on NY State Police can't be asked about anything firearm related - I believe the NY State Police Ran a website on Q&A on the SAFE ACT and also register your handguns for them - They can't do their job of tabulating data - but citizens can for them?

In NY, firearms issues are often guilty until your proven innocent that is how policing is done in NY and why I am done in NY.  The police state needs its police.

I fully expect NY Police Cars to state " If you want us to regurgitate a legal opinion on a matter - see a lawyer" embossed on every police car that sounds about right for NY.  Glad I don't pay that salary anymore.
Link Posted: 12/27/2018 11:30:32 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Don't forget to send them their precious license plates, too.

FUNY
Ha ha someone else got the suspended license letter for not having NY insurance I see. I had my father turn them in and accepted the suspended NY license for whatever amount of days it had been since I transferred my insurance and plates to Maine.

Man I don't miss that place one fucking bit.
Link Posted: 12/28/2018 8:54:07 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I doubt your comment on NY State Police can't be asked about anything firearm related - I believe the NY State Police Ran a website on Q&A on the SAFE ACT and also register your handguns for them - They can't do their job of tabulating data - but citizens can for them?

In NY, firearms issues are often guilty until your proven innocent that is how policing is done in NY and why I am done in NY.  The police state needs its police.

I fully expect NY Police Cars to state " If you want us to regurgitate a legal opinion on a matter - see a lawyer" embossed on every police car that sounds about right for NY.  Glad I don't pay that salary anymore.
View Quote
Well, if the NYSP can be the go-to resource on firearms stuff, why were they so hesitant to provide any reliable information in black and white after SAFE was passed?
Other than producing a reference document for law enforcement, the silence was astounding.
Oh, and that website you mentioned. Not exactly a stellar resource.
The registration thing is mainly done historically at the county level. When the state demanded to be included in that process its simply adding redundant layers of paperwork to owning handguns in NY, for owners and dealers.

As I said, I think that people want to ask LEOs for opinions on an issue because they aren't willing to pay a lawyer for legal advice. It's a pointless exercise.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top