Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/3/2021 3:50:39 PM EDT
Hapag-Lloyd container shipping company has announced a booking stop for all ships carrying agricultural (time-critical) products from Latin America to all US West Coast port facilities.
The announcement ocurred April 20th, but there is a delayed effect accounting for ships in transit.
This affects things like coffee, sugar, fresh fruit and vegetables, etcetera.
Plan accordingly...

https://www.hapag-lloyd.com/en/news-insights/news/2021/04/latin-america-to-north-america--west-coast---booking-stop-.html

Once the general public finally becomes aware of this, there will be a huge run on grocery stores.
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 8:33:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Roughly how many TEU's were they moving between those two ports and the West Coast? I looked but didn't see any others pausing service from there.
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 8:51:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Coffee???!

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 10:21:49 PM EDT
[#3]
No idea, but I do know that Hapag-Lloyd has just ordered another 150,000 TEU dry-boxes and reefers to help alleviate the their container shortages.

https://www.freightwaves.com/news/hapag-lloyd-shelling-out-more-than-half-a-billion-dollars-for-containers
Link Posted: 5/4/2021 10:57:15 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Hapag-Lloyd container shipping company has announced a booking stop for all ships carrying agricultural (time-critical) products from Latin America to all US West Coast port facilities.
The announcement ocurred April 20th, but there is a delayed effect accounting for ships in transit.
Plan accordingly...

https://www.hapag-lloyd.com/en/news-insights/news/2021/04/latin-america-to-north-america--west-coast---booking-stop-.html

Once the general public finally becomes aware of this, there will be a huge run on grocery stores.
View Quote

Well.....

I don't drink coffee, sugar is made in Nyssa, and Nampa, Fresh vegetables are grown all around Idaho, and fresh fruit comes from WA/OR/CA almost year round.
I'll miss having bananas I guess.

Many have the ability to start a garden, and can/freeze items they like.
Greenhouse with lights will grow stuff year round.

Food for thought,.....what if this is just another internet rumor so some people can make money on trading futures ??
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 2:29:36 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Plan accordingly...

View Quote

Hapag- Lloyd is a relatively small shipper and is consolidating in order to stay competitive with the bigger players that will pick up this slack.

I work in this industry and have watched Evergreen lower their rates to no profit in order to kill smaller companies like H-L.

It is a cut throat industry.

Most everything going  on right now is due to container shortages in China and US exports will suffer when the Chinese break their shipping agreements to favor Chinese imports.
Link Posted: 5/9/2021 7:21:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Hapag- Lloyd is a relatively small shipper and is consolidating in order to stay competitive with the bigger players that will pick up this slack.

I work in this industry and have watched Evergreen lower their rates to no profit in order to kill smaller companies like H-L.

Most everything going  on right now is due to container shortages in China and US exports will suffer when the Chinese break their shipping agreements to favor Chinese imports.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Plan accordingly...

Thank you, good to know from someone inside the industry.
I agree with your last statement; the ChiComs have broken every treaty and contract they have ever signed, usually before the ink is even dry.

Link Posted: 5/9/2021 11:21:50 PM EDT
[#7]

This!

If you want to talk about food scarcity and famine...Meh.

But the coffee's gone?!?!?!?!?!?!?!  AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top