Hahaha…

Florida sales tax of 35%.

Yeah. That would be wonderful.
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 3:57:07 AM EDT
[#2]
Two hooses, $5200.
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 6:25:50 AM EDT
[#3]
Never pass.  Too many people with big SOH caps (like me ).

Link Posted: 2/10/2024 12:05:37 PM EDT
[#4]
LOL  TANSTAAFL!  How you gonna pay for schools, fire protection, police, road maintenace on the city/county level, libraries, garbage collection, street lights, and on and on.
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 12:50:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Kalashnikov762] [#5]
I hope they aren't planning a VAT tax.  That is a no go for me.  I'd be interested to know where the revenue would be made up and how it gets back to the municipalities. With the amount of lottery sales in this state, that alone should do it.
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 1:58:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Held for years that the one thing that ought to be sacred is one's home!   To that end I'd even support an income tax...........think about it, you DO NOT really own your own property if it can be taken by default of a tax billing.     Hell, yes I'll support it.............anything to diminish the overgrown and burdensome bureaucracy that has become "our" government..............................it was never intended to be this way!
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 3:38:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By dogrunner:
Held for years that the one thing that ought to be sacred is one's home!   To that end I'd even support an income tax...........think about it, you DO NOT really own your own property if it can be taken by default of a tax billing.     Hell, yes I'll support it.............anything to diminish the overgrown and burdensome bureaucracy that has become "our" government..............................it was never intended to be this way!
View Quote

NO income tax....trading one wrong for another is no deal.  Careful what you wish for....the federal income tax rate started a 1%  for everyone.  Look how that turned out.
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 4:12:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Just throw an impact fee on all new houses, gas stations, and car washes and we wouldn't need any other taxes at the current growth rate and we might be able to slow it down.
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 4:48:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Property tax should stay, but there should be caps on it. A family member has a house worth about 3 times
ours and their taxes are 6 times more than ours. We have = impact on schools, roads public services etc.
Why should someone with a more expensive house pay more for the same impact on society as lessor valued
property?
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 7:41:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Mudfoot:
Hahaha…

View Quote

35%????
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 8:45:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Hell no! I already paid taxes on the cash portion of my retirement portfolio. Sales tax is enough already.
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 9:07:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By nowgrn4:
Hell no! I already paid taxes on the cash portion of my retirement portfolio. Sales tax is enough already.
View Quote

Only the discretionary portion of sales tax goes to the county. 6% goes to the State. There is no way to fund
a county on a percent or two.
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 11:26:05 PM EDT
[#13]
I wonder if an attempt to shift from property tax to some kind of consumption tax has anything to do with the apparent explosion in really high density apartment buildings that seem to be going up everywhere around me. I'm guessing there's a breakover between trying to tax property owners to account for the number of tenants they have and just going right for the tenants' pockets instead.

Also huge land owners rejoice. I'd have to do some math but I suspect I'd be on the losing side of a change like this
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 11:28:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Tobysi:

35%????
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Tobysi:
Hahaha…

35%????

Pick your percentage. It was a spitball.
Link Posted: 2/11/2024 1:24:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By FJB247:
Just throw an impact fee on all new houses, gas stations, and car washes and we wouldn't need any other taxes at the current growth rate and we might be able to slow it down.
View Quote

IDK about all counties.  In Lee, where I used to live, I paid impact fees when I built my house.  6 years later, I got hit with more impact fees when they forced water and sewer on us.
Don't  remember the first.  That was incorporated in the house price.  Second was $6500.
Link Posted: 2/11/2024 3:18:50 PM EDT
[#16]
One thing that would be bad is if the program was administered from Tallahassee.  That would grow the state government and we don't need that either.
Link Posted: 2/11/2024 4:12:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Kalashnikov762] [#17]
Originally Posted By Colddeadhands61:

IDK about all counties.  In Lee, where I used to live, I paid impact fees when I built my house.  6 years later, I got hit with more impact fees when they forced water and sewer on us.
Don't  remember the first.  That was incorporated in the house price.  Second was $6500.
View Quote

I so hope that never happens to me.  It happened to me in my last house and ended up costing $90 a month just for sewer.  Rural sewer systems are vast and inefficient....so those on it get fuked.  I'm about 8 miles, as the crow flies, from the nearest municipal pipe.  I hope it's enough.
Link Posted: 2/12/2024 9:53:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Pallas] [#18]
Hahaha…

View Quote

Yeah, it's a terrible idea. It would crush everyone.

At that point, I would move out of the State.

One article I read had some "expert" and he did indeed say the FL sales tax would have to be something like 30%, so you are close.
Link Posted: 2/12/2024 2:00:10 PM EDT
[#19]
Mayhaps thats the solution to our NY/NJ problem!
Link Posted: 2/12/2024 4:10:56 PM EDT
[#20]
Good, property taxes are the evilest of all.
Link Posted: 2/12/2024 7:13:42 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Kalashnikov762:

I so hope that never happens to me.  It happened to me in my last house and ended up costing $90 a month just for sewer.  Rural sewer systems are vast and inefficient....so those on it get fuked.  I'm about 8 miles, as the crow flies, from the nearest municipal pipe.  I hope it's enough.
View Quote

It worked great until cat 5 Ian hit us.  We lost city water.  Good thing I still had a well.  Lift stations were all down.  Sewage backing up out of manholes.
Yea, at my final cost m of 32K.  Had to put in with my taxes.

I'm happy to be out of there.  Right now, enjoying the quiet in Citrus County.
Link Posted: 2/12/2024 9:06:20 PM EDT
[#22]

Right now, enjoying the quiet in Citrus County.
View Quote

Please tell everyone you left behind that Citrus county sucks bigly.
Link Posted: 2/13/2024 8:41:20 AM EDT
[#23]

Please tell everyone you left behind that Citrus county sucks bigly.
View Quote

Oh he'll yea !

I tell everyone that I moved to America, and was sworn to secrecy as to where I am !
Link Posted: 2/13/2024 9:07:53 PM EDT
[#24]
The bill's sponsor said sales tax would raise to 8.5% to make the difference.
Link Posted: 2/13/2024 9:16:51 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By Miami_JBT:
View Quote

I would pay at least 2X at a minimum more in taxes. Screw that
Link Posted: 2/13/2024 10:30:56 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By Miami_JBT:
View Quote

I'd be all for it at that rate increase.  I would love to improve my property without having to get whacked by the county for it.  Where do I sign?
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 3:23:53 PM EDT
[#27]
The counties would probably add an increase of sales tax to make up the difference for money they would not get.  They have done it here in Brevard.  We have 1% added on to the State Sales tax (supposedly for lagoon cleanup and schools). Don't know about other counties but it might happen to them as in Brevard.
Link Posted: 2/17/2024 1:47:48 PM EDT
[#28]

Oh he'll yea !

I tell everyone that I moved to America, and was sworn to secrecy as to where I am !
View Quote

Good, because at the rate people have been moving here it won’t be like this for long
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 9:35:10 AM EDT
[#29]
They will get their money one way or another.
If the govt is giving you money back, its only because they thought up a new way get twice as much out of you.
Link Posted: 3/15/2024 9:12:01 AM EDT
[#30]
eliminate part of the revenue stream, and you can expect other things to be increased.  Sales tax would go up, and you would see calls for a State Income Tax
Link Posted: 3/15/2024 10:01:47 AM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By Mannlicher:
eliminate part of the revenue stream, and you can expect other things to be increased.  Sales tax would go up, and you would see calls for a State Income Tax
View Quote

Correct. TANSTAAFL.  The beast will be fed from one revenue stream or another.
Link Posted: 3/15/2024 9:45:36 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By floridahunter07:

Good, because at the rate people have been moving here it won’t be like this for long
View Quote

It was way better back in the late 80s/early 90s when it was starting to boom but didn't yet have the population density.   Very few traffic lights, easy going 2 lane highways, the bay was still clear.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 10:41:47 AM EDT
[#33]
Good..jack the bed tax another few cents and then exort Disney to pay FL 1B in taxes every year
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 10:48:16 AM EDT
[#34]
Election year antics....I'm not holding my breath.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 4:36:14 PM EDT
[#35]
Election year antics....I'm not holding my breath.
View Quote
Session ended March 8 at 12 noon. The bill is dead and has been dead since then.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top