Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/5/2021 3:01:33 PM EDT
Just a FYI for everyone. Had to review our agency policy on red flag laws.... Florida law gives the owner an option to turn weapons over to another party. Police will still be required to collect the weapons and ammo but your third party can collect them from the agency's property division. There is also no requirement that the agency inform you of this option... So be aware if you are ever targeted by one of these unconstitutional court orders...

Hopefully you will at the least be able to save you property from the band saw, recycling bin or ocean.
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 8:45:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Just a FYI for everyone. Had to review our agency policy on red flag laws.... Florida law gives the owner an option to turn weapons over to another party. Police will still be required to collect the weapons and ammo but your third party can collect them from the agency's property division. There is also no requirement that the agency inform you of this option... So be aware if you are ever targeted by one of these unconstitutional court orders...

Hopefully you will at the least be able to save you property from the band saw, recycling bin or ocean.
View Quote

Good info.

We opt to offer the provisions of subsection (9) and won't take the firearms/ammo if there is a qualified person available at the time. Subsection (7) includes the word "except" and then refers to the provisions /allowances of subsection (9).

Because the word "except" contained in subsection (7), we believe the SO does not have to first take the items and then, after the fact, transfer them to a qualified person of the respondent's choosing.

Will your agency allow that or do they require you to take them first and transfer them after the fact IAW subsection (9)?

Link Posted: 3/6/2021 3:58:11 AM EDT
[#2]
nvm
Link Posted: 3/6/2021 11:52:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Good info.

We opt to offer the provisions of subsection (9) and won't take the firearms/ammo if there is a qualified person available at the time. Subsection (7) includes the word "except" and then refers to the provisions /allowances of subsection (9).

Because the word "except" contained in subsection (7), we believe the SO does not have to first take the items and then, after the fact, transfer them to a qualified person of the respondent's choosing.

Will your agency allow that or do they require you to take them first and transfer them after the fact IAW subsection (9)?

View Quote

Our agency requries that the items be "inventoried" on property receipts. I would have to re-read the part about when they can be turned over. There is not much difference between turning them over if someone is available at the time and having to take them to property. Turning them over at the scene would save huge amounts of time and resources due to the packaging and transportation requirements.
Link Posted: 3/7/2021 4:31:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Red Flag Laws are unconstitutional and pure BS as written. I’m sure from the sound of it some of you have seen the way law enforcement handles firearms with complete disrespect. They pile them in the trunks of their cars on top of one another bang them around etc. even my tactical weapons are well taken care of and not beat up. I’m sure there is no provision for recovering for any damage caused by law enforcement during a red flag confiscation. I have not had the displeasure of being red flagged but 20 years ago while going through a divorce my ex wife filed a complaint with the court saying I was stalking her while I was camping at a state park and she was staying with a friend nearby that I had no idea of until we saw her riding on a golf cart. I had our now grown kids with me at the time. Fortunately the judge threw her request out when I explained what happened. As I stated before that was 20 plus years ago. Today they could take my firearms and ammunition under those same circumstances.
Link Posted: 3/7/2021 8:45:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Red Flag Laws are unconstitutional and pure BS as written. I’m sure from the sound of it some of you have seen the way law enforcement handles firearms with complete disrespect. They pile them in the trunks of their cars on top of one another bang them around etc. even my tactical weapons are well taken care of and not beat up. I’m sure there is no provision for recovering for any damage caused by law enforcement during a red flag confiscation. I have not had the displeasure of being red flagged but 20 years ago while going through a divorce my ex wife filed a complaint with the court saying I was stalking her while I was camping at a state park and she was staying with a friend nearby that I had no idea of until we saw her riding on a golf cart. I had our now grown kids with me at the time. Fortunately the judge threw her request out when I explained what happened. As I stated before that was 20 plus years ago. Today they could take my firearms and ammunition under those same circumstances.
View Quote

Just so you know, some of us cops will go above and beyond to make sure firearms and ammo are packed and stored as if they were our own so as to provide the best possible protection.

All firearms at my agency must be packed separately in an approve gun box.

Some years ago a fellow ARFCOM'er posted how he was pleased how I packeged multiple firearms of his that were recovered during a crash on I-75 where he and his daughter were transported to the hospital...
Link Posted: 3/10/2021 11:01:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Just so you know, some of us cops will go above and beyond to make sure firearms and ammo are packed and stored as if they were our own so as to provide the best possible protection.

Some years ago a fellow ARFCOM'er posted how he was pleased how I packeged multiple firearms of his that were recovered during a crash on I-75 where he and his daughter were transported to the hospital...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So you are saying you will confiscate them and then store them safely?

Thanks for your service
Link Posted: 3/11/2021 2:52:06 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

So you are saying you will confiscate them and then store them safely?

Thanks for your service
View Quote

If that's your take away from my post... so be it.

ETA- my comment was directed towards how some places/cops take great care with personal property, including firearms, regardless of the many ways we might come into possession of it. I guess you just skimmed over my post that referred to the safe keeping of a fellow ARFCOM'ers firearms while he and his daughter were taken to the hospital.
Link Posted: 3/16/2021 12:57:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

That’s great that you go to the lengths you do to take care of peoples firearms, and I thank you for that. As I stated in my original post many don’t. I saw the evidence storage room of my local Sheriffs department Polk County Grady Judd when I went to claim a stolen handgun of mine. And I told the person that got my handgun from the shelf I would appreciate if he would be a little more gentle with how he was handling it. The magazine was removed and he was holding my handgun and magazine in the same hand and I ended up with some small scratches on it. Our local police department’s evidence storage was a portable shed behind the police station and that’s where they stored all evidence including firearms. It mysteriously burned to the ground one day! I know this from a close friend that works as a K9 officer for that police department.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top