Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Link Posted: 1/9/2022 4:22:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Closing some of the older areas like Eyman, they’ll still have the big SMU unit.
What’s screwed up is the town now wants to raise our utility rates to make up for lost revenue from ASP shutting them down.
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 1:34:21 AM EDT
[#2]
Eyman isn't closing, not even close, as two of the three "modern" max custody units are here. Florence Complex is closing slowly, two units are empty right now. Central Unit is the oldest and will be converted into a museum when finally emptied out - I recommend taking the tour when it's available, interesting place. Cell Block 2 opened in 1930. We do not have a timetable available on when this is going to be done.
This was announced by the Governor some time ago, so it's not a hush hush thing, as he wants that feather in his hat of reducing the prison population enough to close and entire prison complex. I do have to say our population HAS been steadily decreasing over several years, and this will work if done right.
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 3:36:03 PM EDT
[#3]
I was under the impression that they're closing some of the older non Eyman complex Florence units due to age issues and shifting the staff in an effort to actually fully staff an AzDOC unit for once.
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 9:49:31 PM EDT
[#4]
My mistake on the name, apologies.
Never worked there so I guess I was wrong.
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 11:12:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My mistake on the name, apologies.
Never worked there so I guess I was wrong.
View Quote

Most people really have no idea how many actual prisons/detention centers are in this town.
Eyman units are all relatively new compared to Florence, with the exception of CB6/Kasson. We would love to get the staff over here, to be certain.
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 2:38:20 AM EDT
[#6]
I used to go to ASP to interview inmates to determine alien status for deportation.
Plus used their newest maximum security facility that’s way out there before it opened to train my TIAC teams on force cell extractions.
That place is huge.
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 8:16:31 PM EDT
[#7]
ASP? We go by ASPC, for Arizona State Prison Complex, or are you talking about the ICE facility? Just curious.
Our newest max is Rast in Lewis. It is the only lock down I have never worked.
Link Posted: 1/23/2022 12:21:32 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
ASP? We go by ASPC, for Arizona State Prison Complex, or are you talking about the ICE facility? Just curious.
Our newest max is Rast in Lewis. It is the only lock down I have never worked.
View Quote

Same reason you didn’t call my facility the DHS/ICE Service Processing Center which is where I worked out of before retiring.
Didn’t realize the C was that important to some of you, hell, every CO I’ve ever talked to before you has just called it ASP as well.
Link Posted: 1/23/2022 11:06:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Didn't mean to strike a nerve amigo, was just asking. In 20 years I'd only seen ASP on the pillars on the traffic gate at Florence Complex, never heard any of the Complexes called that, worked both Eyman and Florence over the years. No big deal.
Link Posted: 1/25/2022 11:10:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Didn't mean to strike a nerve amigo, was just asking. In 20 years I'd only seen ASP on the pillars on the traffic gate at Florence Complex, never heard any of the Complexes called that, worked both Eyman and Florence over the years. No big deal.
View Quote

Yeah, my post did come off sounding pretty snippy.
Ahh well, off to fight more important debates like beans/no beans!
Link Posted: 1/26/2022 12:42:11 AM EDT
[#11]
Is all good.
Link Posted: 1/31/2022 5:11:02 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Same reason you didn’t call my facility the DHS/ICE Service Processing Center which is where I worked out of before retiring.
Didn’t realize the C was that important to some of you, hell, every CO I’ve ever talked to before you has just called it ASP as well.
View Quote

Did you work at the SPC in Florence? I got two job offers there, one in '07, one in '19. Wished I'd taken one of those offers but at the time I was working in CoreCivic and felt like I had a better deal there.

When that museum opens I'm going to go for sure, other than a few trips to Eyman and to Central for transfers I drove past the the state places and always wanted to go check them out.
Link Posted: 1/31/2022 10:55:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Yeah I retired out of there.
Wasn’t a bad gig, but I bailed as soon as it looked like Obama was going to win, I knew where it was headed.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top