Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 1/16/2018 3:44:23 PM EDT
In this thread we post pictures of featureless, compliant rifles and post sources of the components.  This thread serves as a resource for law-abiding citizens to assist in complying with the new laws.

I hope this is not deemed to be advertising.  I believe this might help each of us avoid endless, repetitive hours of searching for what is needed for compliance.  If every gun owner saved an hour or two, that is millions of man-hours saved.

ETA - keep this thread to AR-style rifles.  If you want a similar one for AK's, start one.
Link Posted: 3/19/2018 10:46:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Cross Armory - Pin Pal, Pin Pals and Safe Mag Gen 2

All items via this web site

Pin Pal takes the wear and fatigue off the aluminum receiver and puts it onto a bronze bushing (that's good).

Pin Pals pops open the receiver with a simple squeeze (no pulling a pin).

Safe Mag automatically drops the empty mag when receiver opens even a little way.

YouTube video of the system.

This is a very cool set up, almost as fast and just as simple as a regular mag release.

Link Posted: 3/19/2018 10:50:26 PM EDT
[#2]
AR Mag Lock Gen 2

Opens receiver only a small amount, enough to operate the mag release (in the conventional way) without allowing receiver to "flop" open.

Link to Gen 2

There is also a Gen I but it does not restrain the upper.
Link Posted: 3/19/2018 11:03:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Vytamen C Tactical - Cal Lock Kit

Opening receiver allows normal magazine release button to function in normal manner.

Link to Vytamen C web site

Link to YouTube video demonstration of device.

Link Posted: 3/19/2018 11:34:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Hellfighter AR Magazine Lock

Push button opening and restraint of upper receiver with spring-loaded re-closing.

Link to web site

Video of operation is in the list of images on the linked web site.

Link Posted: 3/21/2018 12:41:59 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/21/2018 9:27:31 AM EDT
[#6]
All of my AR's have this setup or a variation of it. It's the cheapest and less intrusive... meaning it gives the most standard AR experience. To me, this is the best, because you aren't hinging the Ar open every couple minutes which makes the upper and lower fit really loose. This also allows you to clear malfunctions and pretty much use the AR as a practical carbine whereas other methods don't allow you to do so and make simple malfunctions a pain in the ass. Remember, if you ever want to use the AR for anything other than punching holes in paper, this is the only way to go... even the bullet button was impractical and I loved watching the tactical guys reloading by putting a little pin into a little hole trying to get their gun into action.

Strike Industries Simple Grip

They are 10$ and come with the lock washer and pistol grip screw. An ARFcom sponsor, Right to bear has them for the best price usually 7-8$ on sale. Right To Bear.com Price

I also use the Aim Sports stock lock.
Link to it.

Usually around 5$. Some pictures show the stock lock being used without the adjustment piece on the stock, which can be installed with the stock lock, but it's purely for aesthetics.
They make stock locks for Magpul, daniel defense, M4 stocks, and Sopmod style.

With those two products, you can use a blank muzzle or add a compensator/ brake for a featureless on any build.

Here are a couple of pictures of them being used on different stocks.

Both the stock lock and simple grip are being used.

I had a picture of a stock lock on the Magpul ACS, but can't find it sorry.

Here are pictures of them on fixed stocks. You have to file a bit off the top to fit correctly. They will work perfectly fine together as the grip will bend to accommodate the fixed stock, but filing it will make it sit flush together.
Colt A2 Stock:

Colt A1 Stock, Type E:

I'm in the retro clone game, so I had to find some alternative muzzle devices. I saw those muzzle devices that are essentially closed end A2s. To me that's a little iffy and a gray area. I decided to contact John Thomas at Retro Arms Work and he created these for me. He took a standard A1 and A2 Flash Hider, bored it out and welded in a steel insert. That makes sure it will never or can never be construed as a flash hider.
FN A2 Flash Hider:

Colt A1 Flash Hider:
Link Posted: 3/21/2018 3:02:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The Comp Mag fixed magazine $65. I've got one on the way.
View Quote
As far as I can see, this is nothing but a 10-round magazine with an extension screwed onto the bottom, right?

Personally, I prefer just using the small 10-round magazines: takes up less space in the range bag, makes the whole rifle lighter, and works just as well.  Looks less tacticool, and might take a tad longer for tactical reloads, but I don't shoot 3-gun anyhow, so that doesn't matter to me.  What's your opinion on these extended magazines?
Link Posted: 3/21/2018 3:33:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Speaking of muzzle devices ...
For the last 10 years, when featureless rifles had to have no features, I was super careful to not use any muzzle device that could be wrongly interpreted as a flash hider.  Matter-of-fact, most of the time I kept a thread protector and nothing else on the barrel.  I also tried the "Levang Linear" compensator, because supposedly it works well, and it can't be mistaken for a flash hider.

Now that some of my ARs are registered assault weapons, I'm free to put any crazy muzzle device on them.  What I want is something that does two things.  Less important: Not send any of the gases downwards, because when shooting prone, I hate having dirt kicked up all over.  More important: redirect the sound forward as much as possible, to make it more pleasant to shoot (for me, and for the guy next to me on the line, who is typically my son).  Ideally, I would love to have some compensator that is as close as possible to a silencer while still being legal.  Yes, I know that compensators will never really "silence" a gun (that can't be done with baffles and internal spaces, which are illegal), but I want the noise to be going away from me as much as possible.

Any good suggestions for such a device?  Is the Levang Linear the best we can do?  I don't care at all about looks, just function.
Link Posted: 3/21/2018 6:05:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
As far as I can see, this is nothing but a 10-round magazine with an extension screwed onto the bottom, right?

Personally, I prefer just using the small 10-round magazines: takes up less space in the range bag, makes the whole rifle lighter, and works just as well.  Looks less tacticool, and might take a tad longer for tactical reloads, but I don't shoot 3-gun anyhow, so that doesn't matter to me.  What's your opinion on these extended magazines?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, it is fixed in place by a screw (you have to open the action to remove the screw).

It has a loading gate, so it loads kinda like a Krag.

To load, pull the knob down and latch it, then open the side gate and insert rounds. Then close gate and unlatch knob.

It is tricky to load, because the rounds can slide around and not line up properly. With practice it would be OK. One benefit to this is that it allows you to have an otherwise proper rifle that can be returned to full capability simply by removing the allen head screw that retains the magazine.
Link Posted: 3/22/2018 1:09:42 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Push button opening and restraint of upper receiver with spring-loaded re-closing.

Link to web site

https://www.ar-15lowerpartskit.com/wp-content/uploads/magictoolbox_cache/feabb61ae2a71c1844359f7cbe8b5d82/8/4/847962/thumb1000x1000/3397595382/Hellfighter-CA-Compliant-AR-Magazine-Lock.jpg
View Quote
I have this system.  It's the tits as far as mag-lock systems go: $60.00 with the pin and maglock.  I believe Cross Armory's is just the mag lock for $60 and the pin unit is like $130.00

I can reload in about 1.5 - 2 seconds.

I can activate the take down button with my thumb, the mag release with my finger, reload with left hand, tap the hand grip up and charge the bolt.

The action only opens less than a cm.

I need an extended latch for my charging handle so I can slide my left hand through it after I close the action for best results, but the standard CH is workable.

If you go the mag lock route, reserve it for the range gun; if you get a jam of any kind that prevents the action from opening, then the release button won't work and the mag lock will still be locked.

My mag lock system is my range gun and I'm building a Thordsen Gen III stock lower for the duty gun.
Link Posted: 3/22/2018 1:19:31 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 3/24/2018 3:42:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 3/24/2018 5:06:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
If you're going featureless, why are people talking about a Mag lock system? Going featureless allows you to use the standard Mag release with 10 round mags.

Picking nits, are we?  

The idea is to catalog the components available to Californians so we can comply with the new legislation.  I modified the title as a result of this valid comment.

(snip)

As for stocks, how many people are using a Hera stock (see info and picture below)  to get around that issue. One rifle I'm using a Magpul PRS stock so all I need to ad is one of those finned pistol grips.

Hopefully most people will go featureless and give CA lawmakers the middle finger like they deserve!!! Don't give in and register anything, we've been oppressed long enough by them! At some point in time people need to ask themselves if they're a subject or a free man!

Link to a randomly selected supplier
Link Posted: 3/29/2018 1:46:58 PM EDT
[#14]
An AK style 'under-cup' slant  break helps keep dust from blasting up.  I've never seen one threaded for an AR but there might be thread adapters available from 14-1metric down to 1/2-28.
Link Posted: 3/29/2018 4:05:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Please keep this thread focused on AR-style rifles.  If you want a similar thread for AK's, start one.
Link Posted: 3/29/2018 8:07:11 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Please keep this thread focused on AR-style rifles.  If you want a similar thread for AK's, start one.
View Quote
Did you even read his post ?

He may have referenced the AK but his post was about the ar15.
Link Posted: 4/1/2018 1:37:10 PM EDT
[#18]
Here is a link to 33.3 Tactical.  They have an array of CA-compliance products.

I tried to get photos to represent their products but was unable to do so.  You'll have to visit the site.
Link Posted: 4/1/2018 1:40:14 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Did you even read his post ?
View Quote
Yes, actually, I did.

I originally intended this to be about AR-15's but had not thought to clarify that until now.
Link Posted: 4/26/2018 5:56:05 PM EDT
[#20]
Franklin Armory - Detachable Fixed Magazine

Link to FA web site

Link Posted: 4/27/2018 3:47:38 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

http://cdn7.bigcommerce.com/s-54emd301ue/images/stencil/900x1800/products/112/404/PA060212__53193.1507321512.JPG?c=2

It arrived and I installed it in about 20-seconds. Drop the old magazine out, slide the CompMag into place, tighten the screw and it's good-to-go. The magazine is a polymer and feels beefy. The loading door opens and closes with ease. There's a knob on the right side that sticks out about a half an inch. That knob is grabbed to pull down on the spring to allow loading through the loading port. It's marked to index the number of rounds left in the mag. The magazine is turned into a single stack 10-round magazine. For those that like to grab the magazine to use as a forward grip it's sturdy enough for that, lefties will find the knob running into their hand doing that.

I like it.

It's another option that allows the return of the rifle to full function in about 20-seconds should you cross over the state line into America or the zombies start rising from their graves.
View Quote
That’s pretty genius, that’s the option I would choose as it doesn’t damage the gun (pivot pin) and requires no change to the gun.  You could even toss out your bullet button.  Easy to change back for out of state, or if you’re in a CA desert shooting by yourself.  I’m from AZ, but I just like to check in on my neighbors.  I’m rooting for you guys.
Link Posted: 4/27/2018 12:12:49 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
That’s pretty genius, that’s the option I would choose as it doesn’t damage the gun (pivot pin) and requires no change to the gun.  You could even toss out your bullet button.  Easy to change back for out of state, or if you’re in a CA desert shooting by yourself.  I’m from AZ, but I just like to check in on my neighbors.  I’m rooting for you guys.
View Quote
The whole point of the thread is to compile and present to The People the options available to them to comply with the laws.  Let The People chose that which best suits them and their plans.
Link Posted: 5/5/2018 1:27:37 AM EDT
[#23]
This is what I want to try.

Mean Arms developed a speed loader that reloads the rifle through the ejection port. They also make an ejection port adapter but it’s not required. I watched a YT vid that shows it being reloaded faster than changing magazines. They had two shooters, one with the loader and one with magazines, fire and reload three times. The Mean Arms loader was faster.

Mean Arms

Mean Arms MA-Loader Range Demo
Link Posted: 5/5/2018 12:36:24 PM EDT
[#24]
Edit- Never mind
Link Posted: 5/6/2018 3:01:34 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Link to web site

https://www.ar-15lowerpartskit.com/wp-content/uploads/magictoolbox_cache/feabb61ae2a71c1844359f7cbe8b5d82/8/4/847962/thumb1000x1000/3397595382/Hellfighter-CA-Compliant-AR-Magazine-Lock.jpg
View Quote
This one intrigues me. There are a couple of videos on Jugernaut's site. A huge issue with this (for me) is that you effectively lose the ability to release the bolt with the bolt catch. They don't discuss that in their videos.

That said, I wonder how this springloaded rear takedown pin would interact with the Hogue Freedom Fighter?

Those together could be an option so that the bolt catch remains operable. Thoughts?...
Link Posted: 5/6/2018 5:45:26 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
A huge issue with this (for me) is that you effectively lose the ability to release the bolt with the bolt catch. They don't discuss that in their videos.
View Quote
Where did you see, read or hear about this issue?   What is the cause?

For me, this would render it a non-viable option.
Link Posted: 5/8/2018 3:58:00 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
A huge issue with this (for me) is that you effectively lose the ability to release the bolt with the bolt catch. They don't discuss that in their videos.

My interpretation of their product after watching their videos. The actual bolt catch is replaced with the part that extends down to partially block the reciprocating movement of the mag catch. It appears that is how they are achieving a non-operable mag release when the upper is fully seated to the lower. Allowing the mag catch to move while the upper/lower are fully together would cause their system to be non-compliant.

Atleast that is how I see it. I may be wrong though because they don't mention this in their videos. This is why I am curious if the Hogue 'Freedom Fighter' spring loaded mag release pin system would operate correctly with just their rear takedown pin. Using the two manufacturers parts together would still allow for a standard bolt release to be used...
Link Posted: 5/11/2018 7:54:38 PM EDT
[#28]
Edit- Never mind.
Link Posted: 5/11/2018 8:37:34 PM EDT
[#29]
Edit- Disregard
Link Posted: 5/11/2018 9:57:23 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Once the mag is dropped and you close the upper and lower prior to inserting another magazine, didn't you just constructively make an assault weapon?

In the Franklin Armory video he mentions that CA DOJ contacted him concerned about the upper and lower being closed without the magazine being inserted and he stresses to make sure you don't close the upper and lower without the fixed mag being inserted.
View Quote
I would say, no.

Why?

Because the rifle does not have a detachable magazine.  It has an attachable magazine but not a detachable one.  That distinction is important, fundamental, really.  If you insert a magazine, you will not remove it or reload it without opening the action.

Words have meanings.
Link Posted: 5/11/2018 11:00:35 PM EDT
[#31]
Edit- Disregard
Link Posted: 5/17/2018 12:53:42 PM EDT
[#32]
Another ejection port loader for fixed mag configuration.

Bear Flag Defense BF-10.

https://www.bearflagdefense.com
Link Posted: 5/17/2018 8:34:26 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I would say, no.

Why?

Because the rifle does not have a detachable magazine.  It has an attachable magazine but not a detachable one.  That distinction is important, fundamental, really.  If you insert a magazine, you will not remove it or reload it without opening the action.

Words have meanings.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Once the mag is dropped and you close the upper and lower prior to inserting another magazine, didn't you just constructively make an assault weapon?

In the Franklin Armory video he mentions that CA DOJ contacted him concerned about the upper and lower being closed without the magazine being inserted and he stresses to make sure you don't close the upper and lower without the fixed mag being inserted.
I would say, no.

Why?

Words have meanings.
My recollection is that the rifle must have a fixed magazine, not lack a detachable magazine, or be in a configuration whereby it is effectively a single-shot rifle.  I think there may even be a statement in the regs, at least for ARs and AKs, that an empty mag well that permits a magazine to be inserted is not considered either and still is an AW when combined with prohibited features.

I've been consulting on a FAL fixed-mag solution for CA and one thing that I found was that the way it worked made it such that if you removed the magazine and then closed the action, you could try to inser the mag all you want, but it will not catch and even if you hold it in place, it will not feed, rendering the rifle effectively single-shot.  I think the system would have to work that way for ARs for an empty magwell on a featured rifle to be legal.
Link Posted: 5/17/2018 8:36:24 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Received my Mean Arms loader.  Works like it shows in their video.

Used a 10 rd pmag in my rifle.

I shoot lefty and found it easy enough to use.

If you don't hold the bolt catch the bolt will go home and chamber a round when you pull the loader out.

Definitely faster then dropping a mag with a bullet button and then inserting another mag.

A few concerns- durability of the plastic they use (doesn't feel as rugged as a pmag). Unloading you have to cycle the rounds into the chamber and then eject them or open your upper and slide the rounds out of the mag individually.

It's also a bit pricey at $39.99 plus shipping.

https://www.meanarms.com/products/detail/ma-loader-for-ar15

If anyone in the North San Diego County area wants to try it out just give me a holler.

@SnowboundinNH
View Quote
Extremely pricey for what is in effect a magazine charger.  It's a good idea, though.

I think that the best solution might be to use that fixed mag that allows you to single load it from the bottom or unload it/relieve spring tension in combination with this device, assuming the user can afford to acquire a meaningful number of them.
Link Posted: 5/17/2018 11:33:56 PM EDT
[#35]
Can we take product reviews and other discussions to different threads.  That will leave this thread relatively uncluttered and more of the CATALOG OF PARTS AND SUPPLIERS, as I originally intended.
Link Posted: 5/31/2018 6:09:49 PM EDT
[#36]
What items need to be changed out?

Featureless

Other changes
Link Posted: 5/31/2018 6:59:14 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
What items need to be changed out?

Featureless

Other changes
View Quote
Read my post at the beginning of this topic
In general on a standard AR:

• Removal of Flash Hider

• Replacement of Pistol Grip with a compliance grip

• Removal of forward vertical grips or forward pistol grips

• Replacing the stock with either a fixed stock or converting a collapsing stock to fixed

Link Posted: 5/31/2018 8:38:35 PM EDT
[#38]
... and a fixed magazine (no bullet button)
Link Posted: 5/31/2018 9:04:47 PM EDT
[#39]
Its pretty amazing the amount of innovation to keep the guns legal.

Lucky for us the AR15 design is adaptable to these innovative ideas.
Link Posted: 5/31/2018 11:30:19 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote
I said standard AR
but yea
Link Posted: 5/31/2018 11:31:53 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Its pretty amazing the amount of innovation to keep the guns legal.

Lucky for us the AR15 design is adaptable to these innovative ideas.
View Quote
Honestly it's not that hard to convert pretty much any gun over to compliance, especially in featureless fashion. Usually it's just roll pinning the stock, removing flash hider, and adding a kydex wrap around the pistol grip. It pretty much says all you need to know about the effectiveness of CA gun control, as well as the ignorance on the other side.
Link Posted: 6/1/2018 11:45:25 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote
This post is a little confusing to me.

My understanding was that with a featureless AR you do not need a fixed magazine and that a standard mag release button will suffice.  IOW you do not need a fixed mag or a "bullet button."

Did I mis-understand you?
Link Posted: 6/1/2018 3:46:34 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

My understanding was that with a featureless AR you do not need a fixed magazine and that a standard mag release button will suffice.  IOW you do not need a fixed mag or a "bullet button."

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That is my understanding as well. A rifle without the evil, scary, deadly features can be equipped with a standard mag release...
Link Posted: 6/1/2018 3:48:29 PM EDT
[#44]
For featureless, forward grips are a no. What about a handstop?...
Link Posted: 6/1/2018 9:22:01 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Honestly it's not that hard to convert pretty much any gun over to compliance, especially in featureless fashion. Usually it's just roll pinning the stock, removing flash hider, and adding a kydex wrap around the pistol grip. It pretty much says all you need to know about the effectiveness of CA gun control, as well as the ignorance on the other side.
View Quote
I understand converting to featureless is easy, but I was talking about the lock kits and fixed comp mags.
It would be much harder to make these ideas work on other guns.
Link Posted: 6/1/2018 11:26:16 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote
Might be a problem. Picture or have one in mind?   Here are the latest definitions.  (I think.)

https://govt.westlaw.com/calregs/Document/I00A3AC3242EF4DA59B868E70908F9614?viewType=FullText&originationContext=documenttoc&transitionType=CategoryPageItem&contextData=(sc.Default)
Link Posted: 6/4/2018 5:42:17 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 6/5/2018 12:17:10 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Might be a problem. Picture or have one in mind?   Here are the latest definitions.  (I think.)

https://govt.westlaw.com/calregs/Document/I00A3AC3242EF4DA59B868E70908F9614?viewType=FullText&originationContext=documenttoc&transitionType=CategoryPageItem&contextData=(sc.Default)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Arisaka

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

*stock photos from their website...
Link Posted: 6/5/2018 2:55:52 AM EDT
[#49]
" “Forward pistol grip” means a grip that allows for a pistol style grasp forward of the trigger."  Don't think you could get a grasp on that.
Link Posted: 6/5/2018 12:12:40 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
This one intrigues me. There are a couple of videos on Jugernaut's site. A huge issue with this (for me) is that you effectively lose the ability to release the bolt with the bolt catch. They don't discuss that in their videos.

That said, I wonder how this springloaded rear takedown pin would interact with the Hogue Freedom Fighter?

Those together could be an option so that the bolt catch remains operable. Thoughts?...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link to web site

It'll work. This guy did it. He also shows how to clear a doublefeed using this setup.

Best California AR-15 Compliant Option 2018+
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top