Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/29/2023 12:16:19 AM EDT
Me my wife and our four children will be doing a ND-SD—WY (just Devils Mtn) trip for seven days in early April.  Our only planned stop so far is Theodore Roosevelt National Park….id like to hit a few other places while in your state.

Any ideas?

Will it still be snow covered?

I know, 7 days is a pretty short window for this, but we hit most of the normal spots in SD a few years ago so will only be spending two days there this time.
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 3:48:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Originally Posted By ChickenDaddy:
Will it still be snow covered?
View Quote

That is VERY possible.

Link Posted: 2/6/2023 10:40:13 AM EDT
[#2]
The Enchanted Highway is pretty neat. You turn off I94 about 45 minutes west of Bismarck and you can sort of pick your way down into South Dakota’s Black Hills.

Also stop at Salem Sue, also on I94 west of Bismarck. Kids love it. Giant dairy cow by New Salem.
Link Posted: 2/6/2023 5:36:40 PM EDT
[#3]
A lot of the more popular touristy stuff doesn't usually open till around Memorial day weekend, like the Medora musical.  Don't know what your route is but Bismarck has the Heritage center located on the state capitol grounds.  There's a lot of different things still open that time of year, but not it depends what you are into, for instance New Salem has the worlds largest Holstein, you can see it from the interstate, same with Jamestown & their buffalo. I don't know if Custers house & the Fort Lincoln block houses are open that time of the year, but you could check the websites to find out.  Same with Camp Hancock on Main ave in Bismarck.  Washburn has the Lewis & Clark interpretive center that should be open then.  Just really depends on what you are into doing.
Link Posted: 2/7/2023 10:49:27 AM EDT
[Last Edit: couchlord] [#4]

This is about an hour north of I94.  You may have to call ahead to make sure the guide is around.  

https://www.history.nd.gov/historicsites/minutemanmissile/
Link Posted: 2/8/2023 7:28:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Good ideas and thanks!

Our plans changed drastically last night—the wife’s mom is not going to drive anymore due to age/health and they are gifting us their second car, so we will be driving down to MO instead—again—for vacation.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top