Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/12/2023 4:56:49 PM EDT
Quick question guys
My son is giving me a S&W Shield. He is in Florida. I know he can give me a firearm and I only have to file the family transfer form per CA law, BUT he is in Florida. He will need to ship it to an FFL. Since it goes to an FFL, I then need to go through the entire process anyway right?
Or can he ship it to me and I file the CA BOF 4544 Intra-Familial Firearm Transaction form? Is this form only for CA to CA transfer?

This is CA Penal Code 27875:
(a) Section 27545 does not apply to the transfer of a firearm by gift, bequest, intestate succession, or other means from one individual to another, if all of the following requirements are met:
   (1) The transfer is infrequent, as defined in Section 16730.
   (2) The transfer is between members of the same immediate family.
   (3) Within 30 days of taking possession of the firearm, the person to whom it is transferred shall submit a report to the Department of Justice, in a manner prescribed by the department, that includes information concerning the
         individual taking possession of the firearm, how title was obtained and from whom, and a description of the firearm in question. The reports that individuals complete pursuant to this subdivision shall be made available to
         them in a format prescribed by the department.
   (4) Until January 1, 2015, the person taking title to the firearm shall first obtain a valid handgun safety certificate if the firearm is a handgun, and commencing January 1, 2015, a valid firearm safety certificate for any firearm,
        except that in the case of a handgun, a valid unexpired handgun safety certificate may be used.
   (5) The person receiving the firearm is 18 years of age or older.
(b) Subdivision (a) of Section 27585 does not apply to a person who imports a firearm into this state, brings a firearm into this state, or transports a firearm into this state if all of the following requirements are met:
   (1) The person acquires ownership of the firearm from an immediate family member by bequest or intestate succession.
   (2) The person has obtained a valid firearm safety certificate, except that in the case of a handgun, a valid unexpired handgun safety certificate may be used.
   (3) The receipt of any firearm by the individual by bequest or intestate succession is infrequent, as defined in Section 16730.
   (4) The person acquiring ownership of the firearm by bequest or intestate succession is 18 years of age or older.
   (5) Within 30 days of that person taking possession of the firearm and importing, bringing, or transporting it into this state, the person shall submit a report to the Department of Justice, in a manner prescribed by the
        department, that includes information concerning the individual taking possession of the firearm, how title was obtained and from whom, and a description of the firearm in question. The reports that individuals complete
        pursuant to this subdivision shall be made available to them in a format prescribed by the department.
Link Posted: 5/13/2023 12:03:21 AM EDT
[#1]
If you use the dealer it will have to go through the whole process.  CA doesn't care if it goes through the FFL, but the Feds do, so that's how it'll have to be.  Make sure you use an FFL who understands the intrafamilial transfer for the roster exemption if off-roster.  Some don't and may not do the transfer for you and cause headaches.  Other than that, it's like an ordinary interstate transfer through an FFL in CA.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top