Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 11/10/2018 2:56:23 PM EDT
Hi folks,

Who is up for a get-together at Davenport's Pizza and an afternoon trip to the range, or maybe the other way around?

I figured we could all get together, go shoot, have a late lunch at Davenport's Pizza and goof off.

Thoughts?
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 3:24:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Count me in brother!

Love that pizza, but for whatever reason it just doesn't taste the same when I get it for carry out.

I'm in Hoover and usually go to the free local Helena Cahaba River WMA shooting range that is now being run by ROs, and has been cleaned completely up.  They are closed for whatever reasons on Mondays, and Tuesdays.  The range also closes at 4pm this time of year.

Either way, I think it's a great idea to organize something like this.
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 9:12:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Madison county here, with enough notice, I'd make the trek down that way for a meet and greet. Always good to have a reason to get rid of a few hundred rounds
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 6:00:43 PM EDT
[#3]
I’m down.
ETA, most any Saturday works for me.
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 12:42:17 AM EDT
[#4]
Sounds good.  
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 11:23:14 PM EDT
[#5]
where is this? I am mobile. Deer killing time of year but I am up for warming up some barrels.
DTA
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 10:25:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Ah, the pizza will be in mountain brook village.  I'm not sure where we're going to go shoot yet, though.  Any suggestions?
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 1:25:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Tag.

If we find somewhere NFA friendly and I can make it , Ill bring toys.
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 3:20:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Ah, the pizza will be in mountain brook village.  I'm not sure where we're going to go shoot yet, though.  Any suggestions?
View Quote
CMP Marksmanship Park is a haul from Mtn. Brook.
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 5:58:27 PM EDT
[#9]
I think the Helena Cahaba River WMA free public range is a great place, and other than the 25yd indoor range at Hoover Tactical, it's prob. the closest range to Mtn. Brook.

As far as NFA smile makers goes, I'm sure suppressors are GTG, and have never seen any posted rules saying no happy switches.  It is run now by RSOs.
Link Posted: 11/21/2018 5:49:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Hoover Tactical is owned by an Arfcommer, isn't it?

Maybe we should contact him and ask for advice.  Does anyone know him/his username?  Thanks
Link Posted: 11/21/2018 11:08:32 PM EDT
[#11]
It’s PopSmurf I think.
Link Posted: 11/23/2018 5:59:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Whenever yall come up with a date and time let me know and I will make something happen. No problem.
Link Posted: 11/23/2018 7:31:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Thank you, Popsmurf/Saxplayer,

Guys? what date works for everyone?

December is here quickly.  I'm thinking December 8th or 15th.    The following weekend is too close to Christmas.

Meet at Hoover Tactical at 10AM, shoot until 12:00PM and then get lunch at Davenports.
Link Posted: 11/23/2018 8:13:11 PM EDT
[#14]
I vote for the 15th, as the 8th is the WWII vintage gun event at the TMP where you compete using carbines, Garands, 1911s, etc.

Nice to see the owner of HTF weighing in....I was friends with the first owner's son while at Auburn I believe.
Link Posted: 11/23/2018 11:02:18 PM EDT
[#15]
I can do either of those dates.
Link Posted: 11/24/2018 12:55:35 AM EDT
[#16]
8th works better for me. I have a crane install that is supposed to start on the 15th.
Link Posted: 11/25/2018 9:24:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I vote for the 15th, as the 8th is the WWII vintage gun event at the TMP where you compete using carbines, Garands, 1911s, etc.

Nice to see the owner of HTF weighing in....I was friends with the first owner's son while at Auburn I believe.
View Quote
Not the owner, just the manager.  One of the owners is an occasional arfcommer.
Link Posted: 11/25/2018 9:31:35 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Not the owner, just the manager.  One of the owners is an occasional arfcommer.
View Quote
Either way.....I like being friends with big wigs at LGSs
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 11:17:21 AM EDT
[#19]
potentially
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 8:50:20 PM EDT
[#20]
I’m putting up a poll for the dates. Whichever one gets the most votes we will go with.
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 8:32:01 PM EDT
[#21]
I’d be interested if my schedule works out.
Link Posted: 11/30/2018 11:13:17 AM EDT
[#22]
I'll give everyone a chance to hit the poll, closure date next Wednesday, after that I'll get the ball rolling.  Thanks everyone.
Link Posted: 11/30/2018 4:18:48 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I'll give everyone a chance to hit the poll, closure date next Wednesday, after that I'll get the ball rolling.  Thanks everyone.
View Quote
Thanks again for getting this organized
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 11:46:20 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You're welcome, I'm happy to do it.

It looks like December 15th is the date.

Let's get the balls rolling for arranging with Hoover Tactical and Jim Davenport's Pizza.

Let's meetup at 930AM (or what works best with the folks at Hoover Tactical), shoot until 11:30 and then head over to Davenports for lunch.
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 1:42:39 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Let's get the balls rolling for arranging with Hoover Tactical and Jim Davenport's Pizza.

Let's meetup at 930AM (or what works best with the folks at Hoover Tactical), shoot until 11:30 and then head over to Davenports for lunch.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sounds good to me!
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 2:51:42 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

HTF opens to the public at 10, but members can get in at least by 9. We should be able to work something out, but we need to check with them first on that.

My work project appears to be on hold, so I should be on hand the 15th, at least for a little while. There is a auction in Trussville I may go to.
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 5:13:15 PM EDT
[#27]
I’ve IMed papa smurf this morning in follow-up to his posts. If anyone has a line in to Hoover Tactical please reach out.

10am works for me, but if you guys can arrange earlier I’m cool with it.

Thanks everyone
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 8:23:10 PM EDT
[#28]
Sounds like were gonna have good time on the 15th

I'm going to go for the trifecta that day, and after lunch am gonna go by the gunshow at the Hoover Met if anybody else is interested.
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 8:58:11 AM EDT
[#29]
Hi guys,

A big thanks to Popsmrf & Notso for helping to arrange this.

Popsmrf/Notso/HTF have graciously reserved 6 lanes and are opening the facility to us at 8:30AM.

Range fees, ammo etc are all to be paid individually by each member. We can sort that out with them at the time.

I’ll go ahead and call Davenports today and let them know we will be descending upon them at 12ish.  I’ll set the reservation at 10 people, if we have more we can just add chairs.

It’ll be great to see everyone. If you have any questions just let me know.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 12:14:31 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Hi guys,

A big thanks to Popsmrf for helping to arrange this.

He has reserved 6 lanes and is opening the facility to us at 8:30AM.

Range fees, ammo etc are all to be paid individually by each member. We can sort that out with them at the time.

I’ll go ahead and call Davenports today and let them know we will be descending upon them at 12ish.  I’ll set the reservation at 10 people, if we have more we can just add chairs.

Thanks!
View Quote
Bring 9mm and 45 ammo if yall want to shoot toys. .380 too. Ill have a few rifle caliber guns too if yall want to shoot 556 or .308.
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 1:42:49 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Bring 9mm and 45 ammo if yall want to shoot toys. .380 too. Ill have a few rifle caliber guns too if yall want to shoot 556 or .308.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hi guys,

Thanks!
Will they allow us to pick up our brass?
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 2:21:36 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hi guys,

Thanks!
Yeah. The only restriction is staying behind the firing line. Otherwise, no problem.
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 2:38:44 PM EDT
[#33]
Reddane, Popsmrf, and Notso…….many thanks gents!

Now I got a bit over a week to find as much 9mm, .45, and .380 as I can

I can't wait!
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 4:55:51 PM EDT
[#34]
Ya'll had me at Davenports and Cahaba WMA, but lost me at HTF.

Nothing against them as I have only had good experiences there, but I only use there range for pistol shooting - not a big fan of shooting rifles at 25yds.  But, if you want to use your happy switches the WMA isn't the place to go. Every time I have been out there the RSOs have gotten on to people shooting rapid fire.
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 5:31:48 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Nothing against them as I have only had good experiences there, but I only use there range for pistol shooting - not a big fan of shooting rifles at 25yds.  But, if you want to use your happy switches the WMA isn't the place to go. Every time I have been out there the RSOs have gotten on to people shooting rapid fire.
View Quote
Yah, rifles at 50 yards is a bit tight. But the weather inside is much more predictable!

And who wants to shoot slow anyway!  
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 5:51:32 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Yah, rifles at 50 yards is a bit tight. But the weather inside is much more predictable!

And who wants to shoot slow anyway!  
View Quote
Cloudy with a chance of tinnitus?

Your right about slow shooting not being as fun, but when the lead hits that steel just right...

Link Posted: 12/6/2018 5:52:30 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote
I'm still down to meetup and enjoy an afternoon or morning of shooting at the WMA in the future :)  The WMA in Clanton that I go to when I want privacy is the traditional Wild Wild West WMA type range.  No signs or rules saying no happy switches.

Sounds like Notso is gonna make sure we take full advantage of the indoor range that allows rapid fire...how can you say no to that, and pizza so good you'll burn your mouth
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 6:17:40 PM EDT
[#38]
Yeah we will have to set up a day for a WMA shoot.

I wasn't aware HTF also had a 50yrd range, so that makes it a better choice than I initially thought, but with Christmas right around the corner I just don't think I'll be able to afford Davenport's, range-fees, and plinking ammo. I'll be around for the next social shoot though
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 6:30:12 PM EDT
[#39]
I completely understand...holidays are busy and expensive!

I'm just tired of not having any true hardcore gun friends....lots of my friends own guns, almost none of them know anything about them.

It's great to build up a local network of friends as well so that we all can be on the lookout for each other's unique things they like.

Anybody got a  Scorpion, B&T, or Sig PCC that you can bring?
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 7:02:01 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Yeah we will have to set up a day for a WMA shoot.

I wasn't aware HTF also had a 50yrd range, so that makes it a better choice than I initially thought, but with Christmas right around the corner I just don't think I'll be able to afford Davenport's, range-fees, and plinking ammo. I'll be around for the next social shoot though
View Quote
Your lunch & range fees are on me, if you'll take care of your ammo.  Worst case, you can hang out. C'mon down.

@Vermicious_Knid
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 9:00:49 PM EDT
[#41]
I need to zero in a new rifle and patrol optic.  It's pretty much just out of the gunsmith's hands.  I haven't had any time to zero it.  If one of you guys could help me do that, I'd be -greatly- appreciative - your lunch is on me and you'll have my never-ending gratitude.

If HTF has good mags for sale, I'm going to pick up a few for my new AR.  I bought a really nice soft-sided case for it at Marks Outdoors the other day.
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 9:29:19 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I need to zero in a new rifle and patrol optic.  It's pretty much just out of the gunsmith's hands.  I haven't had any time to zero it.  If one of you guys could help me do that, I'd be -greatly- appreciative - your lunch is on me and you'll have my never-ending gratitude.

If HTF has good mags for sale, I'm going to pick up a few for my new AR.  I bought a really nice soft-sided case for it at Marks Outdoors the other day.
View Quote
I'm sure the others will enjoy helping as well, but I'd love to help out with that.   I've can bring a bunch of different .223/5.56 factory ammo types to help you find the type of bullet, or specific load that your new rifle likes the best.   We can get a good zero on your rifle, and shoot a bunch of 5 rd groups and then compare.

What kind of rifle and optic we talking about brother?
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 9:31:00 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

I'm just tired of not having any true hardcore gun friends....lots of my friends own guns, almost none of them know anything about them.

It's great to build up a local network of friends as well so that we all can be on the lookout for each other's unique things they like.

View Quote
Ive got a MPX on the cart
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 10:04:49 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote
Fantastic!   I really appreciate you bringing these brother.   It will be very helpful to try one out, and then compare it with a recent experience I had shooting a Scorpion.  All three of those options seem awesome, I'm just wondering if the B&T or the MPX is worth the extra money over the Scorpion.
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 12:16:15 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Fantastic!   I really appreciate you bringing these brother.   It will be very helpful to try one out, and then compare it with a recent experience I had shooting a Scorpion.  All three of those options seem awesome, I'm just wondering if the B&T or the MPX is worth the extra money over the Scorpion.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The MPX is really sweet. Smoother than all the blowback guns I have shot.
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 12:27:55 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hi guys,

Thanks!
What kind of toys are we talking about? Inquiring minds would like to know.
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 10:14:15 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hi guys,

Thanks!
Thompson and Greasegun for the .45

A few different 9mm subguns (MPX, MP5, glock, PPSH)

The .380 is a Polish PM63 that I swapped from 9mak to .380 because it was easier to get a barrel blank.

M16 for the 556 and then a few different .308s. Two are beltfeds if you want to bring that much ammo.
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 12:13:11 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

I couldn't agree more.

Quoted:

Your lunch & range fees are on me, if you'll take care of your ammo.  Worst case, you can hang out. C'mon down.

@Vermicious_Knid
Thanks @RedDane, that is very generous of you. What kind of man would I be if I said no to that?

Quoted:

The .380 is a Polish PM63 that I swapped from 9mak to .380 because it was easier to get a barrel blank.

M16 for the 556 and then a few different .308s. Two are beltfeds if you want to bring that much ammo.
I do have a hundred or so round of old .308 I need to burn...
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 12:33:11 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote
My body is ready...

Link Posted: 12/7/2018 5:07:02 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote
I’ve got an SBR’d suppressed Scorpion that should be in K form by the 15th. And if Popsmrf gets some zeniths in I wouldn’t mind going home with one.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Top Top