Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/20/2018 3:27:17 PM EDT
I recently purchased my first firearm since receiving my CCL and when the dealer was running the number on my FOID it kept coming back as invalid.

They asked if I had another card, I said no but I had recently acquired my conceal carry license and so they tried running the number on that instead and it came back as good to go.

The numbers on the two are completely different, should I have gotten a new FOID card at the same time since my old one seems to be invalid now?

What is my best course of action here?
Link Posted: 6/20/2018 4:08:03 PM EDT
[#1]
A new FOID arrived in the mail about a week after I got my CCL card in the mail.
(I didn't order a new FOID, it was sent by ISP.)
Numbers matched on the new cards.
Link Posted: 6/20/2018 4:20:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I recently purchased my first firearm since receiving my CCL and when the dealer was running the number on my FOID it kept coming back as invalid.

They asked if I had another card, I said no but I had recently acquired my conceal carry license and so they tried running the number on that instead and it came back as good to go.

The numbers on the two are completely different, should I have gotten a new FOID card at the same time since my old one seems to be invalid now?

What is my best course of action here?
View Quote
Have the FFL run your CCW number.  I had an old FOID number when I was a resident of Hellinois, and when my CCW was issued, my FOID number no longer worked, but the CCW number did.
Link Posted: 6/20/2018 4:28:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
A new FOID arrived in the mail about a week after I got my CCL card in the mail.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Initially, early CCLers did not get new separate FOID cards, but the ISP started issuing new FOIDs so number of digits matched and numbers sync'ed up.   If you run the new number through the ISP FOID verification site, it should come back OK.   The ISP issued an alert about a massive number of FOID cards coming up for renewal at same time so they may be behind printing those.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/Hometown/ISP-warns-of-possible-FOID-renewal-delays-as-wave-comes-due/23-623680/

...In a news release, Illinois State Police Director Leo Schmitz said the agency expects “tens of thousands” of renewal applications as the first wave of the 10-year FOID cards expire.

More than 50,000 FOID cards will expire between June 1 and August 1, he said. ISP said it has already sent renewal notices to those whose cards expire June 1....
If you don't get it soon, I'd try emailing the ISP [email protected]  or [email protected] which will probably be faster than calling and waiting on hold.
Link Posted: 6/20/2018 6:01:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Interesting, well it is exactly two months to the day since I received the conceal carry license so I am guessing I need to email and see what's going on. Thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 6/20/2018 7:36:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Interesting, well it is exactly two months to the day since I received the conceal carry license so I am guessing I need to email and see what's going on. Thanks for the info.
View Quote
Yeah, that is too long especially since you already received the CCL card. Let us know what they tell you.
Link Posted: 6/27/2018 8:25:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote
Same here.
Link Posted: 6/27/2018 10:44:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Has this issue been resolved?
Link Posted: 6/27/2018 11:02:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote
@SageEBR   did you get a response from the ISP?
Link Posted: 6/27/2018 11:19:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
No... sent an email to [email protected] this Monday and haven't gotten any response yet.
Link Posted: 6/28/2018 8:37:57 AM EDT
[#10]
Valinda & I have Meetings with ISP brass and the Governor the first of the week.  If you don't have resolution by Sat. evening, if you get your info to us, we'll check into it.  You aren't the only one having issues with getting ISP response.
Mike
Link Posted: 6/28/2018 9:29:47 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Valinda & I have Meetings with ISP brass and the Governor the first of the week.  If you don't have resolution by Sat. evening, if you get your info to us, we'll check into it.  You aren't the only one having issues with getting ISP response.
Mike
View Quote
Great, I will shoot you an IM if I don't hear anything back by then.

Thank you for everything you do for Illinois gun owners.
Link Posted: 7/4/2018 6:29:57 PM EDT
[#12]
We met with ISP Monday and Governor and staff on Tuesday.  Both were very good meetings.  We had a hand full of examples of folks with ISP issues.  We gave them your info as one of the examples of ISP problems.   Let me know if you hear from them....Or not...

Thanks
Mike
Link Posted: 7/5/2018 1:33:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
We met with ISP Monday and Governor and staff on Tuesday.  Both were very good meetings.  We had a hand full of examples of folks with ISP issues.  We gave them your info as one of the examples of ISP problems.   Let me know if you hear from them....Or not...

Thanks
Mike
View Quote
I will definitely let you know either way.
Link Posted: 7/10/2018 2:01:58 PM EDT
[#14]
I haven't had this specific problem regarding "invalid number", but I got my first ever delay, as far as I know, purchasing a rifle a month ago.  I don't think the dealer received a response.  FOI Bureau must be a disaster right now.
Link Posted: 7/13/2018 1:02:38 PM EDT
[#15]
I haven't heard anything yet - I sent a follow up email today again.
Link Posted: 7/13/2018 4:56:20 PM EDT
[#16]
It has only been 8 working days since we submitted your inquiry.  Since your CCL is now functioning as a FOID, you aren't in any violation or have any limitations.  This is only a records correction but, since it is a manual system at this point (FOID division) and they are running at 1/2 their allotted staff due to hiring and training bottlenecks, lets give them a few more days to work through it.  If we haven't heard anything by middle of next week, we'll bump them again.  After sitting down with the department head for 2 1/2 hours last week, we are a little more sympathetic to their problems and have shared those problems with the Governor.
Link Posted: 7/16/2018 2:34:54 AM EDT
[#17]
There was a story in todays Beacon newspaper  in Aurora that some people are having trouble renewing their FOIDS even without CCLs.
Link Posted: 7/31/2018 9:57:25 AM EDT
[#18]
Got my new FOID in the mail yesterday, which was a bit surprising since I hadn't gotten any response via email or phone (unless they called and didn't leave a message, which is possible) at all yet.
Link Posted: 7/31/2018 12:07:50 PM EDT
[#19]
They are having a lot of communication problems in FOID side....mostly due to IL red tape and turn over.  They are usually pretty responsive when we turn in a concern like yours.
Glad they finally came through!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top