Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/24/2023 8:28:14 PM EDT
When I make a freedom of information of act request and the attorney generals office enforces it, do they actually read it before sending out to redact?

If I submitted a FOIA request about a supposed teacher student relationship and much to my suprise there was an investigation but police were never notified, did the AGs office just find out about it?

The investigation was BS….
Link Posted: 5/24/2023 8:53:18 PM EDT
[#1]
I think you have to take it to the da and see if they want to investigate...
Link Posted: 5/24/2023 11:07:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Probably not a bad idea to take it to the DA. It might get taken there by other means. Just curious how all of this works. Originally, the FOIA request was denied/delayed or something, then we got a random email from the ISD and the AG saying it was approved but we had to pay. so we paid for it.
Link Posted: 5/25/2023 5:51:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Probably not a bad idea to take it to the DA. It might get taken there by other means. Just curious how all of this works. Originally, the FOIA request was denied/delayed or something, then we got a random email from the ISD and the AG saying it was approved but we had to pay. so we paid for it.
View Quote

The different sections of the AG's office usually stay in their lane.  If for example, you send a child abuse complaint to the civil contracts division while complaining about a civil contract, they'll investigate the civil contract and round file the child abuse complaint.  If you made a FOIA request (technically a TPIA request as FOIA doesn't apply to state agencies) then all they are likely to do is just rule on the request.  You would need to notify the district for an administrative investigation or make a complaint to police to start a criminal investigation.
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 7:42:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

The different sections of the AG's office usually stay in their lane.  If for example, you send a child abuse complaint to the civil contracts division while complaining about a civil contract, they'll investigate the civil contract and round file the child abuse complaint.  If you made a FOIA request (technically a TPIA request as FOIA doesn't apply to state agencies) then all they are likely to do is just rule on the request.  You would need to notify the district for an administrative investigation or make a complaint to police to start a criminal investigation.
View Quote

Administrative investigation was bias and the investigation was done in a way to produce a specific result. They asked director level positions, the student, and the teacher the story.
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 7:44:49 PM EDT
[#5]
I’ll add, I have a few friends that are retired law enforcement who wonder why it wasn’t referred to local LE.

They agree the investigation was BS
Link Posted: 5/29/2023 5:23:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Open Records Requests in Texas are to provide public information to the public that requests the information. The government is not supposed to produce reports, interpret open records or inquire as to why the information is being requested. The custodian of the information is only to provide the information requested within the scope of the request. Does that make sense?

If it heads to the AG's office for review that office will really only decide on the merits of whether or not the redacted information cannot be released. The reasons are many for redaction or not releasing information.

I have been in quite a few AG decisions for Open Records Requests that I filed. The governmental entity withheld, excluded and hid information from my requests. The AG's office was slightly helpful in obtaining the hidden documents which involved the cover up of a crime by the governmental entity employees falsifying records. I nailed them cold. Even made the news.

The AG's office was really not interested in pursuing the issue. They were really only interested if I was given the full set of documents I requested as that would be a violation of my civil rights. For them, the coverup was more of an interesting criminal matter than government employees falsifying reports. They were not interested in interpretation of the data as it was outside the scope of the requirements of the Open Records Request guidelines.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top