Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/19/2018 10:26:38 AM EDT
I'm trying to remember the name of a shady embezzler, con artist or developer who took people's money from the late 70's/80's in central FL.  He used to own a development off Bear Gully Road east of Winter Park on the SW side of Bear Gully Lake near Goldenrod.  He built a castle on this property, but apparently it's all been torn down except for his boathouse, which is located at  28.624231  -81.274730.

He had a hairlip and I can't remember what his particular crime was but he got convicted for it in the mid-80's after I  had moved to Seattle.

I'm trying to remember his name to find out what ever happened to him.  My best friend in high school, who used to live on Bear Gully Lake about a quarter mile away, couldn't remember his name either.

Anyone here on the FL forum recall who I'm talking about?
Link Posted: 8/19/2018 1:46:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Glenn Turner/Koscot Interplanetary
Link Posted: 8/19/2018 2:24:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Wound up being indicted for fraud...............they took his castle!!

Classic example of Florida developer and real estate genetics.............hair lipped asshole.......fast buck and run types.

Precisely whats ruined this state, and fellas, there ain't no damn shortage of 'em today..............c'mon over to Volusia Co. and I'll show you a bakers dozen!!
Link Posted: 8/19/2018 2:28:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/19/2018 4:35:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
This.  Glen W Turner, Dare to be Great. The Rice brothers (twin little people) were tied in with him
Link Posted: 8/20/2018 10:15:53 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote
"Turner's Castle"!  That's it, that's what we used to call it when we by it back in the day.

Thanks!

ETA:  According to a 2004 Orlando Sentinel article, he was 69 at the time; that means he's83 now, if he's still alive.
Link Posted: 8/20/2018 9:47:50 PM EDT
[#6]
I remember some kids in high school talking about breaking into that place (abandoned at the time)? This was mid 90's
Lake Howell High School. That's all I got.

Now that I think about it, didn't burn down?
Link Posted: 8/22/2018 9:22:27 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I remember some kids in high school talking about breaking into that place (abandoned at the time)? This was mid 90's

View Quote
I don't know.  The castle was there during the 70's when I lived in Central FL, don't know what happened to it after that.  GE shows a typical FL neighborhood now.  The only thing that's left is apparently the boathouse right on the lake.

He must be a real piece of work.  He now lives near Lake Mary, FL and all his things (house, cars etc) are in his wife's name.  I guess to keep any of his old investors he swindled from suing to get their money back.  He's also started another MLM/pyramid company as well (cosmetics just like the one that sent him to prison).
Link Posted: 8/22/2018 3:03:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Just like Tennessee Jay Butcher
Link Posted: 8/23/2018 9:52:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Holy crap, I haven't heard that name in a long time. That cat was a shysters shyster.
View Quote
This.
Link Posted: 8/24/2018 10:18:43 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote
Fun Fact:  The name of the road that goes into the neighborhood where the old castle used to sit:   Old Castle Drive.

The castle used to sit right around where the intersection with Glider Rose Pl is.
Link Posted: 9/8/2018 9:06:11 AM EDT
[#11]
I remember the precious metal scams out of Ft Lauderdale; we used to have some of the world's best con artists here.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top