Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/26/2020 10:38:06 AM EDT
Only one I found wanted $50?  Is that typical?
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 11:25:22 AM EDT
[#1]
Depends on what you are shipping, and where to.  And what do you mean they wanted $50?  If all they wanted was $50, that could be anything from okay to a steal.  That would be about $25 for a transfer and about $25 for shipping.  That is about par for a rifle.  For a handgun transfer that is very reasonable.  Try shipping a handgun yourself, following all the rules, and you have to pay overnight shipping through one of the major carriers.  I looked into shipping a handgun to NM once.  They wanted $98.

If they wanted $50 plus shipping, then I would say that is not a good deal.  Do an FFL search online and see what you come up with.  Many of them will list their fees up front.  Most decently priced FFL transfer fees are about $15 to $25.
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 1:54:23 PM EDT
[#2]
The FFL I use here in Davie county charges a $10 or $15 transfer fee and only actual Fed Ex shipping. May be a bit more of a drive than you want to do to save a buck though...
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 3:11:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Repent Arms in Concord.
$25 transfer
Handguns are typically $25 shipping. (Haven't shipped a rifle through them.)
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 11:43:10 AM EDT
[#4]
Ship it yourself, its the best way.
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 2:41:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Repent Arms in Concord.
$25 transfer
Handguns are typically $25 shipping. (Haven't shipped a rifle through them.)
View Quote
Called but goes right to VM
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 3:49:57 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Fooboy:
Called but goes right to VM
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Fooboy:
Originally Posted By JStar:
Repent Arms in Concord. 
$25 transfer
Handguns are typically $25 shipping. (Haven't shipped a rifle through them.)
Called but goes right to VM

Guns shops are closed.  They were considered essential at first so they were open like normal.  Then the governor set additional restrictions which forced most to close or severely reduce their operational abilities.  In some cases, it simply became easier to close shop for the time being.

I wouldn't expect most shops to answer the phone like normal.

In either case, the original question still stands.  JStar stated $25 transfer and $25 shipping.  That is $50 total.  If that is what the original shop offered, you are in the same boat as before.  If the original shop wanted $50 plus shipping, then I would shop around all day long.  You will probably still have to wait for a reply but I wouldn't pay any FFL a $50 transfer fee.
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 7:41:54 PM EDT
[#7]
What does "reasonable" mean?   I would expect to pay full shipping costs, plus transfer fees, plus something for the trouble.

Unless you must transfer something through an FFL, there are better options.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top