Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/27/2018 11:20:49 PM EDT
A question  regarding permit holder exiting vehicle on school grounds.

MN 609.66, Subd 1d, paragraph F(#3) says: This subdivision does not apply to: persons authorized to carry a pistol under section 624.714 while in a motor vehicle or outside of a motor vehicle to directly place a firearm in, or retrieve it from, the trunk or rear area of the vehicle;

Well, I have a console holster for my pistol. If I step from vehicle and then place my sidearm in the console holster; have I broken the law?

I ask because the law seems clear in that I would NOT be placing my sidearm in the trunk or rear. Therefore, violation. However, as you can imagine, removing from conceal holster to place in the console can be difficult while seated in the car. Also to put said sidearm in my conceal holster after I get in can be as well. Really should be standing to go either way but according to MN Statue; that is a violation.

Whats your opinion on it?
Link Posted: 9/28/2018 9:36:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/28/2018 11:40:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks Rat. No legal advice needed per se. Just a realization when I was stowing my pistol to go into the school. I was thinking about the woman in the car behind me and wondering how it may go down if she turned out to be a hooplaphobe. My wife and I are very active in the school and volunteer often so most people know us.

However...... In your example I would not be putting the pistol in the rear of the vehicle per state statue. My car has a back seat and a trunk. Would I be able to effectively defend my legal position seeing as my center console is NEITHER the rear or the trunk of the vehicle.
Link Posted: 9/29/2018 7:22:29 AM EDT
[#3]
I am not a lawyer either, but to save yourself from possible trouble, I would try to figure out a way to unholster it without getting out of the car.  If that's not possible, maybe pull into a gas station or store parking lot nearby before you get there?  Even if what you describe does violate the statute, I doubt if you'd end up in any real legal trouble for doing it.  The real issue would be the possibility of someone phoning in a MWAG call, and the resulting scene that could occur in the parking lot.  If you are involved at the school, I'm sure that wouldn't be a good thing.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 10/9/2018 5:26:01 PM EDT
[#4]
You are good to go "legally" if you are storing your firearm in a school parking lot.

That does not mean that someone won't call the cops and that doesn't mean the cops will know the law. As such, I advise my students to be very covert about storing and retrieving a pistol while on school property.

**Disclaimer - I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice**
Link Posted: 10/12/2018 6:46:27 PM EDT
[#5]
You are good to go.    <——not a lawyer
Link Posted: 10/15/2018 11:12:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
A question  regarding permit holder exiting vehicle on school grounds.

MN 609.66, Subd 1d, paragraph F(#3) says: This subdivision does not apply to: persons authorized to carry a pistol under section 624.714 while in a motor vehicle or outside of a motor vehicle to directly place a firearm in, or retrieve it from, the trunk or rear area of the vehicle;

Well, I have a console holster for my pistol. If I step from vehicle and then place my sidearm in the console holster; have I broken the law?

I ask because the law seems clear in that I would NOT be placing my sidearm in the trunk or rear. Therefore, violation. However, as you can imagine, removing from conceal holster to place in the console can be difficult while seated in the car. Also to put said sidearm in my conceal holster after I get in can be as well. Really should be standing to go either way but according to MN Statue; that is a violation.

Whats your opinion on it?
View Quote

If you're outside of your vehicle placing a pistol in your console, as opposed to placing or retrieving it from "the trunk or rear area of the vehicle" I wouldn't say you're covered by Subd. 1d (f)(3).  I'd stay in my vehicle if I were you.

I'm not your lawyer.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top