Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/8/2020 9:13:22 AM EDT
I don't post a lot, don't say much when I do.  I can't make the trip to VA on the 19th with some of you guys, but have been following multiple threads, several web pages, and other sources of information.  Watching the presenters yesterday at the Prince William county BOS meeting (a county I lived in at one point before coming back home) I was struck by what is happening up there.  I realize we are one of the next states in line for this foolishness.  I realize we were very close to electing a Democrat for our Governor.  I realize the Governor we did elect is a RINO and could likely give 2 shits about you and I.  I realize we are close to becoming the next VA.  I lived there.  I graduated high school in SWVA.  When I got out of the Navy I lived there again until getting the chance to move back home.  Seeing what is happening to the home of many of our Founding Fathers and knowing that the machine behind this movement is here already, but will be coming in force over the next several election cycles, and then watching as 105+ people got up in front of a their elected officials, stated their case, both factually and articulate, only to be ignored, proved what I already knew but hadn't paid attention to.  If we do not get out in front, become more vocal, more forceful, more focused, that tin-foil hat voice in the back of my head telling me we're on the slow march to the cattle car will no longer be a voice, but will be the reality.

I sent the below email to my county commissioner (I'm in Cherokee for those that care) this morning.  I'll be sending similar emails to my state representatives.  I like to be the grey man, as many of us probably do.  For now, being the grey man with a voice to our local elected officials is not, in my opinion, a bad thing.  The issues in VA have brought several eloquent and effective leaders to the front of that movement, and I don't doubt for an instant that we won't see similar things happen down here, but until those people self-identify, I think we do ourselves a disservice by not getting in front of our officials now.  But what I do think is we need to start being more vocal with our local officials.  More gatherings of like minded folks.

This past Saturday I attended the first club meeting of my gun club, Pickens, in the 6 years I've been a member.  I didn't know a soul, didn't recognize anyone, but more importantly, didn't overhear ANYTHING VA related.  That was a bit concerning.  There were 100+ people there at the meeting.  Now, I wasn't trying to butt in and listen to people's conversations, but those standing around me and talking with others, were not talking about what is happening up north.  Then, last night at dinner with my wife and one of my boys, I saw a group of older men sitting together, and I told my wife, that is the kind of group that should be discussing what is happening.  Were they?  Don't know, didn't hear, and wasn't going to butt in.  BUT, from the threads about VA, none of these events up there are happening without that discussion.  I think it's time we ensure that is happening here.  It's easy to start with our close friends and family that are like minded.  Don't have any of those people?  Find a local person to go shoot with, have a beer with, drink some bourbon.  Expand from there.  There are groups all over VA right now meeting up on weekends and hiking and talking.  The same thing can be happening here.  And maybe it is.  Maybe I'm just not hanging around those people.  I don't hang around many folks, don't like most people.  But the time to be a grumpy old man yelling at the clouds shouldn't be right now.  I'm not old enough for that yet.

I'll start.  I'm going to plan to go up to Picken's this Saturday around 0900, weather pending (supposed to be bad).  If you're a member and want to meet another member, I'll try and be at the pistol pit by 0930.  I drive a black F250.  I'll probably shoot some pistol, maybe my AR on the 100-yard line, and if no one else is around, I wanna try shooting skeet, that looks like a hoot.  And I bet it's a ton of fun with a pump-gun....

Thanks for reading the book.
Brian

My email to Harry:

Harry,

I hope you are following the events that are transpiring in VA, specifically around the proposed gun legislation expected to be voted upon during this next General Assembly session.  Additionally, I hope you are aware of what many of the counties, cities, and municipalities in that state are doing, specifically around 2nd Amendment Sanctuary resolutions.  If not, I recommend you take some time and look into the goings on up there.  I’m curious on your opinion around what is happening at the local level in VA and your thoughts on similar events happening in our State, and county.

While the Attorney General of the state of Virginia has indicated he does not feel the local resolutions will hold water, they do provide a statement to the larger state Government that the people are upset.  There are a lot of issues that need addressing across our state and several impacting our county; fighting over a right enumerated in our Constitution should not be one of them.  That said, I am of the opinion that a similar fight is coming to our state in the very near future.  I would like to think we are learning from the mistakes/actions of others and getting prepared.  As such, I’d like to hear your opinion on the matter.  If you’d like to discuss in person, that would be great as well.
Link Posted: 1/8/2020 7:49:03 PM EDT
[#1]
@binga
Outstanding post, sir. Thank you very much. I would love to come shoot with you but thats a full ride for me. I'm in Augusta.
I would love to see something like this happening around here.
Link Posted: 1/11/2020 10:28:07 AM EDT
[#2]
Forgot the club was hosting a shoot.  Changing plans, going to shoot at Appalachian Gun.  If anyone wants to shoot, say hi.  UGA hat and black shirt.
Link Posted: 1/11/2020 11:59:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Hey, I just saw this (and wouldn’t have been able to make it today, anyway), but I live in Cherokee and I’m a member at Pickens and Appalachian.

At some point, I’d love to meet up—I’ll probably be at Pickens tomorrow afternoon, but not sure when. I drive a silver Lexus SUV. I’ll keep a lookout for a black F250.

And the email is on point. I’ll have to send my own here shortly. Can’t hurt to start building a shelter before it’s needed.
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 8:39:51 PM EDT
[#4]
It was a meeting for new members to learn the range rules and be welcomed in.

Nothing was stopping you from bringing it up, or the other meetings. Six years ago was during the Obama administration. Where was your anger then?

If you want to become politically involved, there are entire groups dedicated to that. They are called Political Action Committees, or Political Parties.

I'm not expecting a bunch of people at a range to form the Georgia 42nd Volunteer Regiment.
If you are really concerned with the defense of the State of Georgia, the Georgia Army National Guard is always willing to help people accept the burden of responsibility as a citizen-soldier.
Link Posted: 1/13/2020 1:12:19 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Hey, I just saw this (and wouldn’t have been able to make it today, anyway), but I live in Cherokee and I’m a member at Pickens and Appalachian.

At some point, I’d love to meet up—I’ll probably be at Pickens tomorrow afternoon, but not sure when. I drive a silver Lexus SUV. I’ll keep a lookout for a black F250.

And the email is on point. I’ll have to send my own here shortly. Can’t hurt to start building a shelter before it’s needed.
View Quote
Scott,

Sorry, couldn’t make today.  Coach my son’s baseball team and we had practice.  I’ll shoot for next Sat.
Link Posted: 1/13/2020 1:32:02 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/13/2020 1:38:19 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
It was a meeting for new members to learn the range rules and be welcomed in.

Nothing was stopping you from bringing it up, or the other meetings. Six years ago was during the Obama administration. Where was your anger then?

If you want to become politically involved, there are entire groups dedicated to that. They are called Political Action Committees, or Political Parties.

I'm not expecting a bunch of people at a range to form the Georgia 42nd Volunteer Regiment.
If you are really concerned with the defense of the State of Georgia, the Georgia Army National Guard is always willing to help people accept the burden of responsibility as a citizen-soldier.
View Quote
Yea, I know, just was the first meeting I chose to attend.  Wanted to get a refresh on some of the range rules.  Want to shoot skeet and could not remember how things worked.  Plus, it’s time to be more active.....

Not sure what you mean.  Anger?  Had that for a while, but no worries

I know the political process.  It’s a little jacked up.  What is your point?

Nor am I.  Nor did I suggest this.

Too old for the GANG, and I’ve already spent time in uniform, so I’m good.

Actually, not sure if you are shitposting, calling me out, or being a dick.  If the first, nice job it was cool.  If the second, not the first time and won’t be the last.  If the last, again, not bad, but not harsh enough.

All I’m looking for are like minded folks that wanna shoot and discuss what is going on.  We need to be ready as a community.  As a community, we are more reactive than proactive.  In my opinion, we as a state need to view the goings on in VA as a first warning.  VA flipped in a very short cycle.  We almost put a Dem in the Governor’s mansion.  How long before what is happening there happens here?  I have decided to be more vocal in my opinion.  Is that an issue?
Link Posted: 1/13/2020 1:42:21 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I hope that if nothing else happens as a result of the stuff in VA, I hope we all expand our circle of friends (especially those you can trust in a pinch) and we all spend more time talking together and thinking about the future.

No one can foresee what is going to happen to us and our state/county/city/community, but I think most of us are unhappy with the direction we’ve been taking for a while.

To paraphrase MLK, the best time to act to prevent things we don’t want to happen was years ago; the second best time is right now.
View Quote
This was the main reason for my post.  To expand our circle.  I really wish I could join you in VA.  My point in making this thread was to try and kick start that coming together.  I’m going to do try and expand my “circle of trust”.  I hope some of you dudes join it....
Link Posted: 1/13/2020 12:12:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Hey OP,  I don't want to jump on you or call you out.  Your post sort of made it sound like folks at PCSC don't care about what's going on, which is not at all true.

As you know, the Club was forced to raise dues by $100.00 this year.  We normally lose about 20 members per year, but this year we lost about 80.  Very few regular members attended the January meeting because we all knew it would be standing room only with so many new people.

Please do not judge the Club based on conversations by a bunch of of new folks who don't know each other.

Anyway, I'll get off my soapbox.  It is a great club and I'm glad you're going to be more active.
Link Posted: 1/13/2020 3:48:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Good point.  Was not my intent to cast dispersions.  I was merely attempting to point out a seemingly lack of awareness.  Hindsight being what it is, lots of new folks, nobody really knows anyone, prob not the time to discuss certain things with strangers.

My point was meant to highlight a need for us to be more aware as a community.  For sure not to knock the club, I really enjoy being a member.

I’ll try to do a better job or articulating my point.

Thanks for highlighting the flaw in my delivery, I appreciate it, and hope this makes it a bit more clear.
Link Posted: 1/13/2020 9:13:07 PM EDT
[#11]
One thing Pickens deserves credit for it they are very active supporting Youth activities and specifically shooting - that is important because their parents are current voters and the youth are the future. One way you can help is to volunteer to act as a range officer or assistant on the youth shooting events.
Link Posted: 1/13/2020 10:42:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Scott,

Sorry, couldn’t make today.  Coach my son’s baseball team and we had practice.  I’ll shoot for next Sat.
View Quote
I’ll be out of town this coming weekend, but I’ll be back at some point. My favorite time to go is Sunday afternoon-it’s usually a ghost town.

I’ll keep a lookout for a black f250 whenever I’m there, though!
Link Posted: 1/14/2020 6:15:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 1/14/2020 6:56:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Just saw this in one of the VA threads.  This is awesome, and was exactly what I wanted with my email to my commissioner (which I have yet to get a response from, so time to send him the link...)
Link Posted: 1/14/2020 9:22:29 PM EDT
[#15]
@Extorris

Seeing as how you are living up thar near Dahlonega, have you lernt how
to say far(fire) yet ?

Is Jeff Gooch toeing the RTKBA line in the legislature? If he don't, tell
him Boots is going to come back down there & whoop him harder than
his grandma Blanche ever thought about whooping him

Binga, keep up with the pressure on them - Y'all are gonna need to be
ahead of the curve for sure down there because Bloomberg is going
to be dumping money to flip KY, NC, and GA next
Link Posted: 1/15/2020 11:30:39 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
@Extorris

Seeing as how you are living up thar near Dahlonega, have you lernt how
to say far(fire) yet ?

Is Jeff Gooch toeing the RTKBA line in the legislature? If he don't, tell
him Boots is going to come back down there & whoop him harder than
his grandma Blanche ever thought about whooping him

Binga, keep up with the pressure on them - Y'all are gonna need to be
ahead of the curve for sure down there because Bloomberg is going
to be dumping money to flip KY, NC, and GA next
View Quote
Gents,  I wrote to Senator Gooch a couple of weeks ago and received this reply. I believe he is on our side. I encourage all of you to write him as well.

"Thank you for contacting Senator Gooch’s office. I can assure you that Senator Gooch feels as you do, and always stands strong for the 2nd Amendment. This bill will not go anywhere during this legislative session.

I will pass along your message. Please let me know if you have any questions!

Sydney Wilkins
Legislative Assistant
Senator Steve Gooch, 51st District
Majority Caucus Whip
421 State Capitol, SW
Atlanta, GA 30334
404-656-5039"
Link Posted: 1/18/2020 7:53:33 AM EDT
[#17]
Let's Hope so.  But politicians lie and make back room deals for other priorities- lets face that all politicians are subject to abuse through party lines, money and exchanging favors, etc.  Keep up the voice - they might listen and respect your opinion.

When NY went through its first round of aggressive gun control - I wrote and called everyone I could think of - even senators that I know that didn't care.

Senator Chuck Schumer sent an form-letter email very similar to below and how Senator Chuck Schumer supported the 2nd amendment! - They all lie.  We all know Schumer would never and never has supported the 2nd amendment - Just stating Paper never refuses ink so letters can say anything.

The best thing to do is make sure your like minded friends and family vote.  If all the concerned gun owners in VA bothered to vote we might not be facing this crisis in VA.

The state of Georgia is such a nice place - I hate seeing it corrupted by transplants and party line democrats.

Quoted:

Gents,  I wrote to Senator Gooch a couple of weeks ago and received this reply. I believe he is on our side. I encourage all of you to write him as well.

"Thank you for contacting Senator Gooch’s office. I can assure you that Senator Gooch feels as you do, and always stands strong for the 2nd Amendment. This bill will not go anywhere during this legislative session.

Sydney Wilkins
Legislative Assistant
Majority Caucus Whip
421 State Capitol, SW
Atlanta, GA 30334
404-656-5039"
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/18/2020 6:31:51 PM EDT
[#18]
That is true; all politicians are liars. But, having known Steve personally
for many years, I am going to go out on a very short & stout hardwood
limb & say that he will back RTKBA. He's from Lumpkin County, after all.
Link Posted: 1/19/2020 7:46:40 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

That is true; all politicians are liars. But, having known Steve personally
for many years, I am going to go out on a very short & stout hardwood
limb & say that he will back RTKBA. He's from Lumpkin County, after all.
View Quote
Would Steve consider proposing that GA is a sanctuary State for those US citizens and businesses that have been disenfranchised of 2nd Amendment elsewhere?

Not that you need people flocking here any more than is current - but need to invite more right leaning than left.  Hollyweird comes here grabs a huge tax break for filming, dumps its politics on the state - why not also try to embrace more decent people that respect conservative values?  Incentives are left leaning.

If politicians can make a city or state sanctuary for illegal immigrants why not also US citizens robbed of their constitutional rights?
Link Posted: 1/21/2020 6:36:35 PM EDT
[#20]
Lumpkin County is Appalachia, and all of the folks I know from my 26 years of
living there would certainly back him in that regard.

From the looks of it with what just happened in Habersham County (Demorest,
Clarksville, et al), the 2A Sanctuary movement is off to a good start. And really,
it needs to start out on the local County levels first & then move its way up to
prominence towards Atlanta.
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 3:21:50 PM EDT
[#21]
Finally got my reply from our County Commissioner.  It was "Thanks binga".  Forwarded that over to my District commissioner to get his take.  Next step will be more emails, phone calls, and the good news is I see my district dude a couple times a month out eating, so I can ask in person, along with attending county meetings when possible.  Going to start becoming an asshole until I get told to STFU or see more movement.  I've also asked for a stance on the matter so I can decide who gets my election dollars for next November, which STFU will also kickoff.

B
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 8:21:19 PM EDT
[#22]
Good work, binga !
Link Posted: 1/23/2020 1:17:00 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Hollyweird comes here grabs a huge tax break for filming...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Hollyweird comes here grabs a huge tax break for filming...
Huge is an understatement.

Film Tax Credits and the Economic Impact of the Film Industry on Georgia’s Economy

Though the tax credits represent a significant cost to Georgia’s treasury in terms of forgone tax revenue — $800 million in 2018 and over $4 billion total over the past decade — the subsidy is often justified as providing a significant economic impact to the state.
In summary, this report examines the film industry’s contribution to Georgia’s economy and the impact of its film tax credit program.  Findings indicate that commonly reported estimates of the film industry’s impact on Georgia’s economy are grossly overstated, and this report provides more plausible estimates.

In addition, while film tax credits have increased the film industry’s presence in Georgia, the return on investment appears to be quite small, indicating that resources devoted to the tax credits may have superior alternative uses.
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 10:55:48 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Sydney Wilkins
Legislative Assistant
Majority Caucus Whip
421 State Capitol, SW
Atlanta, GA 30334
404-656-5039"
View Quote
I just typed out a letter to Senator Gooch asking him to support SB 224 in any way he can.
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 11:05:12 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Lumpkin County is Appalachia, and all of the folks I know from my 26 years of living there would certainly back him in that regard.
View Quote
I'm pretty sure the members of the local group Indivisible Lumpkin wouldn't.
ETA: @IndivisibleLum on Twitter, @indivisiblelumpkin on FB.
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 7:01:17 PM EDT
[#26]
Argh... I don't have FB or Twitter... I am going to guess that is some stupid
HWNDI whatever-that-kids-name-from-transformers group or Antifa affiliated
crap.....

I'm going to guess they are based somewhere close to NGC dorm or resident
halls & maybe out at the SW section near 400 & 53..... I don't think they would
do much out toward Porter Springs, Yahoola, Town Creek, Phillipi, Cavender Creek,
Frogtown, Siloam, or Knucklesville.... Sucks to see that they even have a presence
at all there.
Link Posted: 2/1/2020 9:54:17 AM EDT
[#27]
Becoming a 2A sanctuary county like Habersham was brought up at last month's meeting of my county's BOC. I contacted everyone on the board this week and after hearing back from two of them it doesn't sound like it's going to go anywhere.
Link Posted: 2/2/2020 10:11:34 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Becoming a 2A sanctuary county like Habersham was brought up at last month's meeting of my county's BOC. I contacted everyone on the board this week and after hearing back from two of them it doesn't sound like it's going to go anywhere.
View Quote
Nothing back from my district commissioner.  Guess it’s time to get to work to run him out.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top