Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/17/2018 6:20:48 PM EDT
https://petitions.moveon.org/sign/eliminate-wv-motor-vehicle

Im not affiliated with this,  just passing along what showed up on my FB yardsale site.

Anyways..i think it should go, they did away with inspections in Florida about 10 years ago. So many ppl complained because they would buy brand new car and then have to go get it inspected.

I drive older truck and have to get modified sticker but even around here, most have newer cars or are Farm Use only..and some stations have a blind eye anyways, slip em a $20 and your good to go.
Link Posted: 3/17/2018 9:26:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Have to respectfully disagree. Some of the worst junk on the road comes from states with no MVI. There are still a few "drive through" inspection stations, but that once a year look see by a set of trained eyes is the only look a lot of vehicles ever get. And yes, I am a licensed state inspector.
Link Posted: 3/17/2018 10:02:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/18/2018 8:52:26 AM EDT
[#3]
LoL..while trying to keep this from GD type thread, its interesting that the 2 ppl against doing away with it are inspectors...

The problem is, a lot of inspection stations are trying to drum up business by saying things are wrong that simply arent, things they know the average person wont understand or know about, like suspension and steering components.

I have to get a modified sticker for my truck. Prior to me finding a shop ,I already set up my dialogue when I went in , they knew I I knew everything about my truck because I do most of the work myself or have it done professionally, so fortunately they cant play those games with me. But ive heard from numerous ppl where shops do that.
Link Posted: 3/18/2018 9:13:00 AM EDT
[#4]
Doubt that we will get to GD's level here. Maybe the 2 ppl against are of that opinion because they have seen things. Scary things. I agree there are stations that use the inspections to drum up business. If they properly fill out their log sheets, that pattern would become obvious to the state pretty quickly. You have to list the dollar amount of repairs performed. I see the state police officer in charge of inspection stations in my area once a year usually. More manpower is needed, but that's not likely with the state's current fiscal situation. Besides, the state can't afford to loose the $3 bucks a piece for stickers with the teacher's raise to pay for.
Link Posted: 3/18/2018 9:21:47 AM EDT
[#5]
Someone on FB where I seen that posted said something about raising registration fees by $3 to make up for it. Of course id be all for it, providing thats all its raised by.
Link Posted: 3/18/2018 9:55:58 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/18/2018 10:09:02 AM EDT
[#7]
LoL..yea yea...as far as modified, my truck is BARELY modified, I guess going up 1 tire size from factory is considered modified.

Anyways, i still say ditch it the inspections..I doubt they will but we'll see.
Link Posted: 3/18/2018 10:51:58 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/18/2018 10:55:55 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
They'll never do away with it, too much money going into the garages from it, plus the state is making $ from stickers.
View Quote
Probably not, but FLorida did do away with theirs about 10 years ago. Being a "tourist" state, its probably easier for them to play around with funds more so then here.
Link Posted: 3/18/2018 2:32:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/19/2018 9:32:59 AM EDT
[#11]
The places that I take my cars/trucks to are pretty fair.   A few places I go to, they know me, and I show them my registration and insurance and I get a sticker.    But, I have seen some vehicles on the road that have no place being there.
Link Posted: 3/24/2018 2:07:00 PM EDT
[#12]
It should go. It was probably more useful back when cars rusted out in three years but today cars hold up much better. After living for the past 28 years in a state that has no inspections I can say that I do not see a difference in the quality of the cars on the road. From WV to OH. It is just a way for the state and inspection stations to make money. If it was really going to be a useful safety tool it would only be implemented on cars over a certain age.
Link Posted: 3/26/2018 8:23:05 AM EDT
[#13]
I can't see our state cutting out another source of revenue, but with politics you never know.
Link Posted: 4/10/2018 7:45:53 AM EDT
[#14]
I would be all for getting rid of it or have it so that the car must be inspected before it can be retitled (sold). At the least, make the inspection good for 2 years.
Link Posted: 4/25/2018 7:17:43 PM EDT
[#15]
3 more to go and it's at it's goal.
Link Posted: 4/26/2018 10:20:09 PM EDT
[#16]
Looks like I'm #2000.

ETA:  And now I'm getting anti-Trump emails from MoveOn.org that hosted this petition.  I just unsubscribed.
Link Posted: 7/12/2018 11:13:06 PM EDT
[#17]
I see it as just another tax. It serves no purpose on most cars and even those that are unsafe all they need to do is go some place that hands them out like old S&H Green stamps.
I have family driving cars that in no way could have ever passed an inspection but they have a sticker.
Link Posted: 7/13/2018 7:54:16 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I see it as just another tax. It serves no purpose on most cars and even those that are unsafe all they need to do is go some place that hands them out like old S&H Green stamps.
I have family driving cars that in no way could have ever passed an inspection but they have a sticker.
View Quote
Not only a tax, but a pain in the ass tax, especially for those of us that live a ways from inspection stations.
Link Posted: 7/13/2018 12:21:11 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Not only a tax, but a pain in the ass tax, especially for those of us that live a ways from inspection stations.
View Quote
Even worse for me, I run a modified sticker. My truck is "barely" modified, it has 2" lift and 33" tires. You can get bone stock trucks with more lift and bigger tires from factory, but whatever.

They need to do away with inspections and personal property taxes. This state likes to tax us to death and dont really get that, considering its probably one of the poorest states in the union
Link Posted: 7/20/2018 7:22:53 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Even worse for me, I run a modified sticker. My truck is "barely" modified, it has 2" lift and 33" tires. You can get bone stock trucks with more lift and bigger tires from factory, but whatever.

They need to do away with inspections and personal property taxes. This state likes to tax us to death and dont really get that, considering its probably one of the poorest states in the union
View Quote
Yeah, I don't get the personal property tax thing. I don't remember it being around when I was growing up. I leave to join the military and when I come back they want to tax me for everything I own, year after year (as a caveat, the tax ain't much, but it is a pain in the ass to do).
Link Posted: 7/28/2018 2:39:29 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Yeah, I don't get the personal property tax thing. I don't remember it being around when I was growing up. I leave to join the military and when I come back they want to tax me for everything I own, year after year (as a caveat, the tax ain't much, but it is a pain in the ass to do).
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The personal property tax has been in WV as long as I remember paying taxes there. I am 58 years old. You don't get tags on your car unless you pay it.
Link Posted: 8/2/2018 1:30:25 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
The personal property tax has been in WV as long as I remember paying taxes there. I am 58 years old. You don't get tags on your car unless you pay it.
View Quote
I joined the military right out of high school, so that may be why I don't remember it. I guess I never paid much attention to what my parents where paying for taxes. The cars I owned while serving were registered here in WV at my grandparents address, I sure didn't pay a yearly property tax on them (now I'm wondering if my grandparents took care of that and didn't tell me about it). I did have to bring them in for yearly inspections.
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 9:38:16 AM EDT
[#23]
I can see both sides.   Some places its a joke.  In Vermont it's a pita.  any rust on a vehicle and they will fail it.
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 5:20:06 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 8/11/2018 5:10:15 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Here in WV, it's not so much rust, as it is holes in the body.  No holes in the body, be it rust through, cracked bumper, or tailight ect.

If you ever have questions 83rdrecon when you come down  here PM me I am a licensed inspector, or well used to be
View Quote
Thank you sir, I most certainly will!  We stopped by the car dealer today.  Probably will trade my tundra and Subaru in on a little newer (2007) sequoia.   will have the moving company ship the wifes little grocery getter electric car.  I know.... electric car hahahahahah!  has saved us a ton on gas in the past 2 years at about $30 per month in electricity.
Link Posted: 8/19/2018 9:33:26 AM EDT
[#26]
Inspections are a scam.  If everyone has such a safe vehicle, then insurance costs should be less.  They aren't.  It does nothing for safety.  It is a money racket.
Link Posted: 8/19/2018 5:29:52 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 9/8/2018 10:35:45 PM EDT
[#28]
The car on my avatar doesn't get inspected and is registered for 10 years. Has 1968 plates on it too.
When I drive it I have one liberal lady in my neighborhood that complains. (It is loud, basically a race car with plates). No one else in my town complains. I take it to my shop in Virginia and drive it around a little bit and two officers show up because complaints we even work on said officers cars at my shop.
My jeep requires modified inspection but I refuse to do it. Tores are to big. Inspector told me to swap tires on it...not worth it. Sunspesion and frame have also been altered. I figure I will just pay the ticket. In a couple more years I can put antique tags on it to.
Link Posted: 9/9/2018 10:01:20 AM EDT
[#29]
Do antique plates negate the need for inspection sticker ? If so, what year is considered antique ?
Link Posted: 9/9/2018 11:30:49 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 9/9/2018 12:01:30 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

25 years old.  But, there are restrictions on use with those plates...
View Quote
Found the rules....bit still says requires annual inspection
Link Posted: 9/9/2018 12:13:26 PM EDT
[#32]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top