Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/27/2021 12:03:55 PM EDT
Any Elgin residents here who can tell me a little bit about your town.

Crime.
Schools.
Flood/Tornado.
Liberal blocks to avoid.

What is good about Elgin other than Texas Chainsaw massacre and BBQ?
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 12:08:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Elgin is not bad, just east of ARC (Austin Rifle Club). It is growing,  better it is in Bastrop county over Travis county
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 1:03:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Family and I just looking up other cites to live. The housing market is insane right now!

I appreciate all your feedback. Thanks
Link Posted: 9/28/2021 9:42:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Elgins crime rate is probably higher than Taylor's just due to the fact that is a short drive from east Austin.

Taylor has better bbq.

Link Posted: 9/28/2021 10:38:29 PM EDT
[#4]
My ISD borders both Elgin and Taylor, I don't hear much positive stuff about either.
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 7:35:34 AM EDT
[#5]
I guess Jarrell and Georgetown are my 2 good options.
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 10:33:10 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I guess Jarrell and Georgetown are my 2 good options.
View Quote

Where are you working, and what is your budget. I would put Jarrell and Taylor real close together as far as homes, Georgetown will be a bit more pricy on homes.
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 11:42:09 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Elgins crime rate is probably higher than Taylor's just due to the fact that is a short drive from east Austin.

Taylor has better bbq.

View Quote

Please tell me you're not taking about Mueller's we're going to have to reevaluate our relationship.

I'm a Southside man
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 2:22:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Both Elgin and Taylor are close enough to Austin that they are more or less just suburbs now.  Prices on any decent housing will be pretty close to Austin, and taxes, etc. are probably not far behind.  You've got to go out quite a distance now before you get out of that.
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 4:44:05 PM EDT
[#9]
I live just south of Taylor, rural area, and I do like it.  Some good restaurants, live music, potential for some major growth if, and it is an IF, Samsung chooses Taylor for it's semiconductor plant.  Downtown lots of classic old buildings but in a really dynamic revitalization.  Car show Halloween weekend, like 700 cars two years ago.  Shoot at the Austin Rifle club.  Still a small town feel.  But, I am retired, so, makes a big difference.  Be glad to answer any questions about Taylor or the Austin Rifle club.  Just PM me.
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 5:29:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Please tell me you're not taking about Mueller's we're going to have to reevaluate our relationship.

I'm a Southside man
View Quote

Wow.
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 6:08:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I'm a Southside man
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Taylor has better bbq.

I'm a Southside man

Sorry not sorry.
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 11:26:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Where are you working, and what is your budget. I would put Jarrell and Taylor real close together as far as homes, Georgetown will be a bit more pricy on homes.
View Quote

Retired and I do have my emergency preparedness business. I do Trade and Gunshows here in California.
Link Posted: 9/30/2021 10:15:56 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Retired and I do have my emergency preparedness business. I do Trade and Gunshows here in California.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I ask because commutes in Austin can be brutal. I would look slightly further out since your business is from your home.
Link Posted: 9/30/2021 11:53:36 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I ask because commutes in Austin can be brutal. I would look slightly further out since your business is from your home.
View Quote

Austin commutes can be stupid because of lack of and poorly designed road infrastructure and stupid slow and zombie like drivers.

I live maybe 10-12 miles from the heart of downtown, and getting there at say 5am, takes less than 1/2 hour.  But once the sun is up, that can easily double and worse during the rush hours.  Not singular.  Morning rush starts about 6am and lasts until 10.  Then the noon rush starts at 11 and runs through about 1:30.  The afternoon rush is 3-7.  If you really need to get completely across town it can just become really a nightmare since you have to fight through both sides.  And there aren't really a lot of good ways around that really don't take you way out of your way usually.

There are several streets that should be true freeways that aren't, like Loop 360, 2222 and FM620.  And there really just isn't any good cross town freeway.  There are lots of half measures.  Roads that have parts that are like a freeway, then it just ends and you have one backed up stop light after another.

The years of "if you don't build it, they won't come" turned the Austin area into major sprawl, because the City of Austin was obstructionist and builders just said F-it, we'll just build in Kyle, Buda, Round Rock, Cedar Park, etc. instead.  And the state didn't build the roads to get people to and from those places.

And then there's the drivers...  granola crunching eco morons from CA, OR and WA driving their stupid Priuses thinking they need to get in everyone else's way to slow people down and save the planet.  And all the "undocumented guests" driving their unlicensed hoopty beaters.  And all the potheads and stoners...

Link Posted: 9/30/2021 12:34:32 PM EDT
[#15]
I hear OK is nice.
Link Posted: 10/5/2021 10:51:39 PM EDT
[#16]
And then there's the drivers...  granola crunching eco morons from CA, OR and WA driving their stupid Priuses thinking they need to get in everyone else's way to slow people down and save the planet.  And all the "undocumented guests" driving their unlicensed hoopty beaters.  And all the potheads and stoners.

One of the reasons I'm leaving CA!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top