Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/8/2024 10:45:25 AM EDT
I need to clean my tile roof as it's looking dirty.  Last time I had it cleaned was standard pressure cleaning about 3 years ago.  I was checking around and it seems there are a lot of cleaners who "soft pressure clean" roof tiles using chemicals.  Anybody have any experience with these new chemical cleaning methods?   I'm afraid of damaging my lawn and garden but they say it's harnless to plants and animals.  Not sure if I believe these guys.  
Anybody have any experience with these new methods?
Link Posted: 1/9/2024 9:42:13 PM EDT
[#1]
I haven't used this on a roof, but it works great for the siding and exterior. Mold Armour

https://www.bobvila.com/articles/best-roof-cleaner/
Link Posted: 1/10/2024 3:18:00 PM EDT
[#2]
I had a contractor clean my roof a few months ago. They were supposedly using chemicals that were safe for grass, and they bagged the downspouts.  I have a dead patch of grass about 3 feet in diameter by each downspout. The roof looks nice, though!
Link Posted: 1/10/2024 10:04:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Had a rood repair done before the holidays.  Asked if they cleaned roofs, and he said yes, with chemicals.  He told me to never pressure wash the tiles.  I guess they are pretty fragile and pressure washing can damage them.
Link Posted: 1/11/2024 10:28:51 AM EDT
[#4]
I have pressure washed and used Wet N Forget. Pressure washing damages the tile eventually. The Wet N Forget takes at least 4 jugs and works overtime, price went up on the jugs, it is a chemical also. In addition pressure washing risk tile cracking from somebody stepping on them. Previous to my new roof I used a pressure washing guy who always took caulking with him to repair tiles. With my new roof I recently applied Wet N Forget, not stepping on a new roof and risking damage.
Link Posted: 1/11/2024 12:30:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Soft washing is a mix of SH/Water/Soap and uses low pressure.

Regular washing is just straight water and high pressure.

Definitely use the soft washing method as its easier on the roof tile. Yea, you might have a few burn spots here and there, but it lasts longer.
Link Posted: 2/1/2024 10:18:40 AM EDT
[#6]
My HOA required it two years ago. I just did soap, brush, pressure washer on my concrete tile roof.

I didn’t honestly see any difference from simply pressure washing.
Link Posted: 2/1/2024 2:53:46 PM EDT
[#7]
If it's mildew on your roof, wet and forget is your friend.  It works with sun and rain cycles so it's a bit slow but it does work.  Don't apply unless totally dry for a day.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top