Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/6/2019 11:01:11 PM EDT
The Army may be moving me to ft. Knox next year.   What do I need to know about ft. Knox. Ranges? What to/ not to live etc..

Any help would be appreciated.

ETA.  Its confirmed.  We are headed to Knox.

Can anyone recommend a real estate agent?
Link Posted: 3/7/2019 6:50:51 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
The Army may be moving me to ft. Knox next year.   What do I need to know about ft. Knox. Ranges? What to/ not to live etc..

View Quote
French Range is nice, although us civie shooters have essentially been kicked out (all guns must be registered at the Provost Marshal).  Knob Creek is just up Dixie Hwy, so that's a plus.
Link Posted: 3/11/2019 5:46:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

French Range is nice, although us civie shooters have essentially been kicked out (all guns must be registered at the Provost Marshal).  Knob Creek is just up Dixie Hwy, so that's a plus.
View Quote
French is in the process of selling off their equipment and shutting down. The registration requirement was probably the nail in the coffin.

ISC has a nice practical pistol and 2 gun match each month March through December. https://irvingtonsportsmen.wixsite.com/iscky
Link Posted: 3/11/2019 6:44:38 PM EDT
[#3]
The town outside the gates (Radcliff) sucks. It's half hillbilly and half ghetto. Elizabethtown is down the road, and isn't too bad. I have lived in both, but it's been 7 or 8 years.
Link Posted: 3/11/2019 7:55:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

French is in the process of selling off their equipment and shutting down. The registration requirement was probably the nail in the coffin.

ISC has a nice practical pistol and 2 gun match each month March through December. https://irvingtonsportsmen.wixsite.com/iscky
View Quote
I can't say I'm shocked, but no gun owner in their right mind would submit to registration to use the range...no matter how nice.

Shame though...
Link Posted: 3/11/2019 9:09:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I can't say I'm shocked, but no gun owner in their right mind would submit to registration to use the range...no matter how nice.

Shame though...
View Quote
When I lived there, a retiree would invite me to join occasionally. Nope lol
Link Posted: 3/11/2019 9:29:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote
I've shot the ISC match, it's nice.  The KY Rifle and Pistol Association used to shoot their CMP matches at the French Range, but they've since moved their matches to Southern Indiana.  Probably because of the mandatory registration at the French Range.
Link Posted: 3/12/2019 6:15:20 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I've shot the ISC match, it's nice.  The KY Rifle and Pistol Association used to shoot their CMP matches at the French Range, but they've since moved their matches to Southern Indiana.  Probably because of the mandatory registration at the French Range.
View Quote
I qualified for my first Garand at Scott Mountain Range on post. Good times.
Link Posted: 3/13/2019 4:00:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The on-post registration was indeed the nail in the coffin for the Meade Co. Sportsman Club program on Scott Mtn. They had an excellent relationship with Range Control but post security was more interested in security theater.

I didn't know KSRPA ever did anything on French. I know they were working at getting back on post but never heard anything about results.
Link Posted: 3/13/2019 6:51:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

The on-post registration was indeed the nail in the coffin for the Meade Co. Sportsman Club program on Scott Mtn. They had an excellent relationship with Range Control but post security was more interested in security theater.

I didn't know KSRPA ever did anything on French. I know they were working at getting back on post but never heard anything about results.
View Quote
I can't see French Range or Scott bouncing back in this day and age.  I wish them all the luck...
Link Posted: 3/15/2019 11:23:35 PM EDT
[#10]
What can anyone tell me about Brandenburg vs Elizabethtown?

The rental market looks like crap and on post is ridiculously small.  Having 5 kids doesn't help.

We home school so schools aren't important.
Link Posted: 3/17/2019 2:04:35 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
What can anyone tell me about Brandenburg vs Elizabethtown?

The rental market looks like crap and on post is ridiculously small.  Having 5 kids doesn't help.

We home school so schools aren't important.
View Quote
Jailhouse Pizza is in Bburg.

I grew up in Brandenburg so I'm a little biased. Etown is 10x bigger and has all the stores but Meade Co is still quiet for the most part.
Link Posted: 3/17/2019 1:43:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Do you intend on retiring here?
Link Posted: 3/22/2019 7:18:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I can't see French Range or Scott bouncing back in this day and age.  I wish them all the luck...
View Quote
So I just got my KY State Rifle & Pistol Association newsletter, page 6 has an announcement on it that they are planning on using the Scott Mountain Range at Fort Knox for marksmanship training this year.
Link Posted: 3/23/2019 6:17:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

So I just got my KY State Rifle & Pistol Association newsletter, page 6 has an announcement on it that they are planning on using the Scott Mountain Range at Fort Knox for marksmanship training this year.
View Quote
Interesting, but what of the registration requirements ?
Loaner rifles?
Link Posted: 3/23/2019 7:10:22 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Interesting, but what of the registration requirements ?
Loaner rifles?
View Quote
The top of the announcement asked 'Do you own a 6.5 Creedmoor or other "High Performance Rifle"?' so I'd say that you could shoot your own personal rifles there, but I'd imagine it still has to be registered with the base.  It didn't get into and said that when the dates and details were worked out, that they would be in their next newsletter and on their Facebook page.
Link Posted: 3/24/2019 2:05:01 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Do you intend on retiring here?
View Quote
Nope.  Probably just a three year stint.
Link Posted: 3/24/2019 9:20:22 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Nope.  Probably just a three year stint.
View Quote
I would probably just live on post then for the sake of convenience alone. I knew I would probably be retiring from here so I bought a place 25 miles or so away. Drive to and from work everyday sucked for nearly two years but being away from post and being close but to too close to a big city influenced my decision. It was early 2009 so it was a buyers market as far as housing went too.
Link Posted: 3/26/2019 7:49:40 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I would probably just live on post then for the sake of convenience alone. I knew I would probably be retiring from here so I bought a place 25 miles or so away. Drive to and from work everyday sucked for nearly two years but being away from post and being close but to too close to a big city influenced my decision. It was early 2009 so it was a buyers market as far as housing went too.
View Quote
We looked but a family of 5 in a 2000 square feet duplex gets old real quick.
Link Posted: 3/28/2019 7:00:34 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote
Well, according to Google maps you should be less than 30 minutes away from Knob Creek.

Directions
Link Posted: 6/14/2019 4:02:04 PM EDT
[#20]
Finally got a report date.  Can anyone recommend an honest real estate agent?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top