Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/26/2024 3:07:17 PM EDT
Any suggestions near I-45 better than the parking lot of  Buc-ee's #48?  

Clearly, I didn't think this through. I will be in the Dallas area the weekend before, driving back to the Houston area Monday. Since I'm making that drive on the 8th, it seems silly not to catch the totality.

Google has plenty of suggestions but I'm hoping for some local insight. I'm willing to make a reasonable detour if it makes sense. Also willing to get moving shortly after totality ends, or hang out at a local coffee shop or restaurant for a few hours before hitting the road, depending on traffic. I have an appointment Tuesday morning, so ideally would like to arrive in the Houston area before midnight. Other than that, my schedule is flexible on the 8th.

Thanks for any advice.

Link Posted: 3/26/2024 4:02:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: joemama74] [#1]
Buccee's in Ennis?

If you take that overpass there are 45 where Buccee's is - back into town, you'll run into Lake Bardwell, but it's Army Corps of Engineer's and most of that is fee based. But there's tons of city parks in town, a downtown area with little restaurants, etc. They are planning events, but I don't know who'll actually be there. A lot of the parks are outside downtown.

https://www.ennistx.gov/departments/ParksandRecreation/Our_Parks

There's also a hospital with a fair sized parking lot, right on the bypass that would take you back south to 45 and keep you out of traffic.

https://www.eclipseoverennis.com/view-areas
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 4:46:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bayouhazard] [#2]
Yeah, that's the one.

Much obliged for the suggestions.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 5:10:40 PM EDT
[#3]
If you keep going past the lake, there's a little town called Bardwell. Tiny. I don't think they even have a flashing light. There's a convenience store, a place that sells used washing machines, a volunteer fire department and some homes. It's off the beaten path.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 11:02:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Personally I would try to get off 45, go up through Palestine and Athens until it gets busy.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 12:59:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By mPisi:
Personally I would try to get off 45, go up through Palestine and Athens until it gets busy.
View Quote

As a location to view the eclipse or for the drive home afterwards? i.e. take 287 from Corsicana to Crockett, then cut over to 45 on 19, going back to Houston from Dallas.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 4:08:14 PM EDT
[#6]
There are two little know Wildlife Management areas near Richland Chambers Reservoir... Primitive camping, but it seems only waterfoul folks know about this place.

Richland Creek WMA  https://tpwd.texas.gov/huntwild/hunt/wma/find_a_wma/list/?id=23  

Link Posted: 3/28/2024 10:35:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By bayouhazard:

As a location to view the eclipse or for the drive home afterwards? i.e. take 287 from Corsicana to Crockett, then cut over to 45 on 19, going back to Houston from Dallas.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By bayouhazard:
Originally Posted By mPisi:

As a location for hopefully easier travel.  I would not get near Ennis on a bet, a long distance of 45 approaching from Houston will be a mess I think.  Really I'd go out and in to Houston on 59.  That gives you flexibility to go even farther east to Lufkin and up 69 to Tyler or Athens that way, if needed.  Or if 19/287 is okay then go there, or even 45 is it's really better than expected.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top