Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/27/2023 7:30:18 AM EDT
Just a quick question and not trying to make it a debate but hopefully someone can put some light on it. I have two deeded easements to my ranch. We had a ton of work to do on my place and planned on shooting some hogs - just enjoy being out this weekend away from the ladies in our life.
BUT mother nature stepped in and I can't get to my front gate from either easement and had to cancel.

We've done some chainsaw work before on the easements, just so we don't rip up our trucks but the question is -  who is responsible for the upkeep to make it at least drivable? I know I can't hunt on it but is it on me to rent a skid steer, clear it and have gravel laid down or the city? Both are about 1/4 mile easements.

I figure I'll make some calls next week but I was wondering if someone here would know.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 5/27/2023 8:16:26 AM EDT
[#1]
Probably on you, but the easement document will spell it out.
My experience mostly relates to easements to utility and pipeline cos, but the responsibilities for maintenance fall to the grantee. Could of course be some other unusual language in there.
Link Posted: 5/27/2023 10:18:09 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Probably on you, but the easement document will spell it out.
My experience mostly relates to easements to utility and pipeline cos, but the responsibilities for maintenance fall to the grantee. Could of course be some other unusual language in there.
View Quote

You're probably right, that's probably why my father never had it fixed when he was alive. I'll check and see what the deed says.
When we lived in Katy we had a utility easement at our house that backed up to a bayou. Our property line showed we "owned" all the way to the edge of the bayou but were not allowed to build on it, so we just shot our bows and had BBQ's on it.

ETA - Oh but one thing about the house in Katy was the city (I assume) took care of all of the maintenance - i.e. mowing, clearing, etc.  I wonder what the difference is. I'll have to dig through the file cabinet plus I'll make some calls to friends I have in the area. I live 3 hours from there so it sucks if you plan a trip, drive all the way to the ranch and can't even drive on it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top