Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/23/2021 9:07:59 AM EDT
My wife and I are flying down for a few days in the keys visiting an uncle and then a night up in Hollywood Beach in a couple weeks.  We made the trip a couple years ago.  Spent a day in Key West at the fort, on the beach, kayaking the mangroves, a day snorkeling out of Marathon and at Bahia Honda, and then a couple days working on his house in Big Pine recovering from the hurricane.  We spent an afternoon walking the shops along Hollywood Beach and listening to a band at the clamshell.

While we'd be happy repeating the trip, I'm interested in taking a trip to the Dry Tortugas.  I assume there's multiple companies offering trips.  Are any better than the others?  How's the ride there typically?  Last year going snorkeling we had some crazy waves that got most everyone on the boat sick.  I was fine but my wife didn't enjoy it.  

Open for any advice you got or other must sees down there.  Looking forward to a week alone with my wife, a rarity with 4 young kids at home.
Link Posted: 3/24/2021 10:42:01 AM EDT
[#1]
I went to the dry Tortugas last September. It's amazing and I will go again. No matter if you boat or plane there the rules of the park only allow you 2.5hrs on the island unless your camping. So no matter what you won't feel like you had enough time to see the whole fort and enjoy the beaches. If you can do a 1 night camp out, that is the only way you will feel satisfied with seeing the Fort and enjoying all areas of the beaches. Regardless I encourage you to go and experience it. I've posted some of my pictures on Instagram @floridaonatankful if wanna see them.

Link Posted: 3/24/2021 11:12:45 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks, I'll check that out.  Finally got ahold of someone there and they are booked for the week we'll be there.  I'll book early for the trip back next year.
Link Posted: 3/24/2021 11:21:54 AM EDT
[#3]
It's awesome! The reefs around that area are some of the best in the world. Some friends and I are going to camp there in June for seven days. We are going to fish, spearfish, and dive the whole time. We are taking our own boat so we will bringing plenty of provisions. We do a lot of off-the-grid adventures so we know how to pack what we want and need.
Link Posted: 3/24/2021 12:42:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/24/2021 8:44:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Maybe keep checking to see if they have cancelations. Not that it's the same as dry Tortugas but there are some other things like a alligator reef snorkel trip or a Fury Cruise is a fun day
Link Posted: 3/24/2021 8:45:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It's awesome! The reefs around that area are some of the best in the world. Some friends and I are going to camp there in June for seven days. We are going to fish, spearfish, and dive the whole time. We are taking our own boat so we will bringing plenty of provisions. We do a lot of off-the-grid adventures so we know how to pack what we want and need.
View Quote

Just know the laws about filing and spear fishing around the fort. I think some of that might be prohibited within certain areas.
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 7:41:04 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Just know the laws about filing and spear fishing around the fort. I think some of that might be prohibited within certain areas.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, we know the laws. Spearfishing is prohibited within the park boundary. There is plenty of relief outside of the boundary that we will be in. We are going to dive all around the fort though.
Link Posted: 3/27/2021 12:02:59 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I went to the dry Tortugas last September. It's amazing and I will go again. No matter if you boat or plane there the rules of the park only allow you 2.5hrs on the island unless your camping. So no matter what you won't feel like you had enough time to see the whole fort and enjoy the beaches. If you can do a 1 night camp out, that is the only way you will feel satisfied with seeing the Fort and enjoying all areas of the beaches. Regardless I encourage you to go and experience it. I've posted some of my pictures on Instagram @floridaonatankful if wanna see them.

View Quote

Have you camped there? I am confused that they do not take reservations and say that they will accommodate as many people that show up. Is there enough room there for everyone that might show up?
Link Posted: 3/27/2021 5:26:01 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Have you camped there? I am confused that they do not take reservations and say that they will accommodate as many people that show up. Is there enough room there for everyone that might show up?
View Quote

I didnt look into camping there but did see on the website they have a reservation setup for it.  Maybe I saw something different than what you're talking?
Link Posted: 3/27/2021 9:34:20 AM EDT
[#10]
Been in the fort for a total of 32 days amongst other places.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top