Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/28/2021 8:04:53 PM EDT
https://www.nny360.com/news/jeffersoncounty/update-alleged-shooter-of-two-people-in-watertown-apprehended-in-franklin-county/article_30ee236c-4fa5-5b28-8424-3c6c82ea9fe2.html
Apr 28, 2021

Update as of 6:05 p.m.: Police have apprehended Barry Stewart, from West Carthage, in connection to a shooting that left two people dead earlier today.

According to the Watertown Daily Times, Stewart was found in Franklin County this evening and suffered a gunshot wound. It's not clear if that wound was self-inflicted.

Watertown Mayor Jeff Smith issued statements online during the manhunt and after Stewart was apprehended. "This is an unspeakable, senseless tragedy, where two innocent people were gunned down in a vicious act of violence," Smith wrote on Facebook.

"My heart breaks for the victims, their families and our entire community who I know share in my disbelief that this could happen here in Watertown."

Original report: Police are searching for a West Carthage man in connection to a deadly shooting in Watertown earlier today.

State Troopers say Barry K. Stewart, 55,  is a suspect in the shooting that left two people dead at the Bridgeview Real Estate office in Watertown.

According to police, Stewart is a real estate agent who works at Bridgeview. It's unclear who the two people are that were shot and killed.

According to the Watertown Daily Times, the shooting was reported over the police scanner around 2 p.m. on Wednesday and by 2:30 p.m. law enforcement was searching for Stewart.

Police say Stewart left the scene in his gray, Ford F-150 pickup truck, with a NY license plate number HUS5491. Law enforcement says it's searching a 70-mile radius in the area. Channel 7 News reported that agents were seen outside Stewart's home on Wednesday.

According to Stewart's profile on Realtor.com, Stewart was retired from the US Army, previously serving at Fort Riley in Kansas. Stewart wrote in his profile he has been living in the Watertown and Fort Drum area for about 14 years.

View Quote

I suspect (don't know for certain) that the shooter used a handgun.

Link Posted: 4/28/2021 11:28:36 PM EDT
[#1]
One of the victims was until recently my landlady and she was just the sweetest woman.
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 9:37:42 AM EDT
[#2]
Male victim was a retired NYS CO from the former Watertown CF, sad day at work yesterday.  I also used to work with the female victims husband when he was an ER doc at Samaritan, great guy.  

Although tragic, I'm super relieved that this didn't turn out to be the multiple victim active shooter scenario that we were alerted about at the prison yesterday.  The rumored victim count got up to at least 9 before the real story came out.  At one point it was a mobile AS, then it morphed into a robbery at Watertown Savings Bank next door to the scene, and then into what it is now.  

Shooter was a retired Army major, and reportedly he and his wife both worked at the realty office and were let go for unknown reasons yesterday morning.  Local news confirmed last night that he died from a self inflicted GSW after crashing his vehicle.
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 6:51:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 6:57:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What a turd. Retired officer starts shooting because he got fired from a real estate job?
View Quote

Updated information today indicates he actually left back in March and started a new real estate company.  Also reported that a third person was in the building during the shooting but was not harmed.  News also made sure to say that Watertown PD declined to comment on whether or not either victim was armed, but did say all shots came from Stewarts gun.  Possible CCW situation there?  The news and PD has also not said a word about Stewarts wife, I had just assumed he had popped her as well before he went to the Bridgeview building but not sure now.

Edit:  News
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 9:00:05 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Updated information today indicates he actually left back in March and started a new real estate company.  Also reported that a third person was in the building during the shooting but was not harmed.  News also made sure to say that Watertown PD declined to comment on whether or not either victim was armed, but did say all shots came from Stewarts gun.  Possible CCW situation there?  The news and PD has also not said a word about Stewarts wife, I had just assumed he had popped her as well before he went to the Bridgeview building but not sure now.

Edit:  News
View Quote

I expect there's a whole lot more to the story than was released.  

On a tangent: it's been a full three months since the 19 year old girl was murdered in Watertown and no charges brought forward.    
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top