Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/2/2019 1:23:01 AM EDT
I'll start off with I'm just about as far right wing as one can get politically. My undergraduate degree is in biology and I'm not a wacko nor a hippy.

Dolphin number three (third in last 15 months) died at the exhibit in Scottsdale of a parasitic infection. The previous two were fungal and bacterial infections. I can say with confidence similar infections in otherwise healthy humans are typically eradicated.

These animals mate for fun, have complex communication, kill for sport, and are extremely intelligent. They're here in the desert, with no nearby saltwater and in finite tanks.

I guess my parting thought is that perhaps dolphins in Arizona isn't necessarily the best idea, or they are procuring second rate specimens in the pursuit of money.
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 1:45:37 AM EDT
[#1]
Yeah, it’s a cool exhibit, but it doesn’t seem like a healthy environment for them.
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 12:59:02 PM EDT
[#2]
With all the more serious problem confronting us and the country I find it hard to give a damn about things like this .
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 2:28:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
With all the more serious problem confronting us and the country I find it hard to give a damn about things like this .
View Quote
As soon as a dolphin comes up with a way to significantly reduce the national debt, improve public education, reduce our dependence on oil and non-renewable resources, create a viable peace plan for the Israel/Palestine region, create world peace, etc...I don't give a flying f*ck how many dolphins die in an aquarium.
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 4:29:50 PM EDT
[#4]
I get it ,but the homeless, border security, the  drug epidemic , and the left trying to kill of the 2nd amendment are far more pressing issues .  IMHO I hate zoos or any place animals are caged and treated as entertainment for profit .
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 4:51:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

As soon as a dolphin comes up with a way to significantly reduce the national debt, improve public education, reduce our dependence on oil and non-renewable resources, create a viable peace plan for the Israel/Palestine region, create world peace, etc...I don't give a flying f*ck how many dolphins die in an aquarium.
View Quote
Why is it the dolphin's responsibility to fix a bunch of human created problems?  It seems to me, that we (humans) could first solve a problem we created for dolphins, bringing them to a fucking desert, and then work on all of our other problems, that we also created.
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 5:57:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Why is it the dolphin's responsibility to fix a bunch of human created problems?  It seems to me, that we (humans) could first solve a problem we created for dolphins, bringing them to a fucking desert, and then work on all of our other problems, that we also created.
View Quote
It's not their responsibility....but the happiness of dolphins should be #365,201 on this country's list of issues.
Link Posted: 1/3/2019 11:27:04 AM EDT
[#7]
Reservation.  Animal care is not a strong suit there.
Link Posted: 1/4/2019 4:15:12 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I'll start off with I'm just about as far right wing as one can get politically. My undergraduate degree is in biology and I'm not a wacko nor a hippy.

Dolphin number three (third in last 15 months) died at the exhibit in Scottsdale of a parasitic infection. The previous two were fungal and bacterial infections. I can say with confidence similar infections in otherwise healthy humans are typically eradicated.

These animals mate for fun, have complex communication, kill for sport, and are extremely intelligent. They're here in the desert, with no nearby saltwater and in finite tanks.

I guess my parting thought is that perhaps dolphins in Arizona isn't necessarily the best idea, or they are procuring second rate specimens in the pursuit of money.
View Quote
Unlike the left, lets make sure because we don't agree with something we present the complete facts when debating our side.  Your comment presents itself to imply the dolphin was fine prior to being in AZ, which is not true.  She has been under treatment for over 6 years, having only been in AZ since 2016, this is nothing that originated due to being in the AZ facility.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/news/local/arizona/2018/12/31/third-dolphin-has-died-dolphinaris-arizona-near-scottsdale/2455665002/

"He said before Khloe came to the facility in 2016, she struggled with a chronic illness caused by a parasite called Sarcocystis. The infection weakens the immune system and causes damage to muscles and the central nervous system.

"Her condition has been managed with exceptional veterinary care for nearly six years as we called on dolphin experts globally to determine treatments that extended her life," he said. "
Link Posted: 1/4/2019 11:55:26 AM EDT
[#9]
Have you not seen the Simpson's episode where Dolphins take over the world!  You better prepare yourself!

While I did take my daughter there for her 7th birthday and we watched the dolphin show, I do agree that AZ is probably not the best place for them with such a small area they have for them....
Link Posted: 1/4/2019 12:56:52 PM EDT
[#10]
They should let us spear the dolphins for sport. That’s an exhibit I’d go check out.
Link Posted: 1/4/2019 1:26:59 PM EDT
[#11]
maybe this will help get ARFcommers on your side:  Dolphinaris Arizona is the first U.S. location for Ventura Entertainment, a Mexico-based company.

Build that wall and keep Mexican dolphins out of our borders...   There ya go, immediate cause for action.

I was completely surprised that in this day and age someone would build a dolphin attraction in the middle of the desert.  Until I saw it was a Mexico based company, no US company would be foolhardy enough to get the negative press.
Link Posted: 1/4/2019 6:36:13 PM EDT
[#12]
For clarification that is a sovereign nation and not Scottsdale.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top