User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/18/2020 5:10:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Wasting Natural Resources?  That’s awesome!  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Just a short story about getting a ticket.....

In August, 1981 I was moving from Virginia to a new job in Everett, WA. I was driving on I-90, just west of Missoula, MT when I got stopped by a Montana State Trooper. He told me to come on back to his car and have a seat. He took my drivers license, and clipped it onto his clipboard with a blank ticket. I could visualize 50 bucks or so going out the window.
Trooper: "Well, Jimmy. I got some bad news, and some good news. The bad news is I got you on the radar at 69 in a 55, and I'm gonna write you a ticket. The good news is that speeding in Montana in the daytime is not a moving violation, the fine is five dollars, and you can pay me now."
He then proceeded to write me a ticket, charging me with "Wasting Natural Resources".
I paid him the $5, and he wrote me a receipt. I've still got the ticket around here somewhere.

Wasting Natural Resources?  That’s awesome!  

From what I was told, the law came about back in the 70's when the feds wanted to set the national speed limit to 55mph to save gas. Montana did not want to go along and only did so after the feds withheld highway funds until montana's speed limit was lowered to 55mph. So Montana dropped the speed limit to 55mph and came up with "wasting natural resource" ticket with a $5 fine in response.

Or so the story went. Heard from several different sources when living out west so I always just assumed it was true. I have no idea if they still do this and I kind of think they no longer do.
Link Posted: 4/19/2020 12:59:42 AM EDT
[#2]
They still post up at the speed trap spots in VB/chesapeake.  I can't say whether or not they still actively pull people over.  I haven't seen it since the kung flu started, but then again I rarely actually saw it before either.

I got a ticket in early February near the WV border, but that was really before it kicked off.
Link Posted: 4/19/2020 1:03:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
A generous arfcommer told me about his secret spot just in W VA, so my friend might try to head over there once of these days.

Maybe he'll stop in Leesburg on the way back, and grab some Doner Bistro!  

... is there some app he can install on his  phone that can pretty accurately track speed via GPS, in case my friend want it for bragging rights?  Alternatively, it can be helpful to the police when they write a giant ticket.
View Quote

I have a friend that wouldn't mind knowing where that is.  He doesn't live anywhere near there, but might make a fun stop on a yearly trip to WV for skiing.
Link Posted: 4/19/2020 11:28:41 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/19/2020 11:56:52 AM EDT
[#5]
I saw an officer parked for a speed trap on Route 3 in Orange before the Wally World. No idea if he was planning to pull anyone over or was just posted as a deterrent.
Link Posted: 4/20/2020 3:31:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I saw an officer parked for a speed trap on Route 3 in Orange before the Wally World
No idea if he was planning to pull anyone over or was just posted as a deterrent.
View Quote

Years ago (double nickel days) Maryland State Police purchased human dummies,
put them in uniforms, and parked the car on the shoulder.

It had their intended effect.
Link Posted: 4/20/2020 8:24:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

An increase in rear-end accidents from people slamming on the brakes?
Link Posted: 4/20/2020 10:54:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I hear that if you make a test run or two at normal speeds and then flip around and open it up, chances that you will be caught are less

If you had  friends they could run ahead and behind you at slightly above speed and block for you and you can take turns. Not that I would know anything about it
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Seen them in their usual hidey-holes in SWVA on 77 and 81.  Don't know if they are actively being active or just waiting for a wreck.

Consult Waze for intel.

Thanks.

If relatively few people are on the roads, then Waze might be unreliable.  

I hear that if you make a test run or two at normal speeds and then flip around and open it up, chances that you will be caught are less

If you had  friends they could run ahead and behind you at slightly above speed and block for you and you can take turns. Not that I would know anything about it

@DK-Prof

I’m your huckleberry.  Drop me a line.  
Link Posted: 4/21/2020 8:37:29 AM EDT
[#9]
The high speed run you're looking to do is not a hard procedure to get away with.  You need a very hot day and dry gassy conditions by the road.  BTW, PD cruisers can go in excess of 140MPH.  Follow the steps in this video :) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5KgqyTJNwiM
Link Posted: 4/21/2020 2:33:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No. Traffic slowed down as the CB users spread the word.
Link Posted: 4/21/2020 2:37:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Hope not, guess I'll find out on the dry and sunny day.
I know of a few long stretches with no on ramps and nowhere for a cop car to hide, unless they have 'A bear in the air' to quote the old Convoy CB radio song.
New H-D is close to 150 HP and 144 TQ.
Waiting for Quaker City Motorsports Park to open up.
Link Posted: 4/25/2020 12:57:02 AM EDT
[#12]
Well they certainly went to work in my AO this week.  Saw at least one, often multiple pull overs on every trip to/from work.
Link Posted: 4/25/2020 10:37:06 AM EDT
[#13]
Hadn't seen any on 81 or 64 between white sulphur springs and waynesboro. This past thursday or two weeks ago.

Some cops in WV but they didn't seem to give a shit as usual. I don't think WV will pull you over on the freeway for less than 80mph.
Link Posted: 4/25/2020 12:19:19 PM EDT
[#14]
I always see them on I-64 in Chesapeake but never a traffic stop.  And you go to weekend jail for 100+.  Weekend jail is for the employed, but those are not my days off.
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 2:00:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I always see them on I-64 in Chesapeake but never a traffic stop.  And you go to weekend jail for 100+.  Weekend jail is for the employed, but those are not my days off.
View Quote

Non-consecutive jail can be for any days, judges take work schedule into account.

Link Posted: 5/2/2020 9:11:14 PM EDT
[#16]
Oh Professor, is there anything you want to tell us?

Attachment Attached File

This ticket was issued today supposedly.

Zoom zoom
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 9:57:16 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 6:36:45 AM EDT
[#18]
Coming southwest on 295 yesterday we saw flashing blue lights.  Got closer and thought it was an accident.  Then we realized the sideways car was an unmarked police car with flashing lights, too.

One marked State Police car behind a pulled over motorcycle/rider with the Trooper between the front of his car and the bike/rider.  The unmarked car was sideways/angled in front of the bike/rider with the plainclothes office walking around the front of his car towards the bike/rider.  The rider was already off the bike and standing beside it.

No idea what they pulled him over for but they didn't want him to leave (it looked like).
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 6:43:25 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By brickeyee:

Years ago (double nickel days) Maryland State Police purchased human dummies,
put them in uniforms, and parked the car on the shoulder.

It had their intended effect.
View Quote

Many years ago Maryland was a place all of us stationed at Ft. Myer were warned about.  And I remember driving on I95 and seeing "The Rubber Duck".  The nickname for the semi the Maryland SP would park on the side of the road with the holes in the rear doors.  A combination of radar and cameras (?) and Troopers monitoring speed of oncoming vehicles.  Just around the next curve, or over the next hump would be anywhere from 3 to 5 State Police cars pulling over cars/drivers based on radio reports/descriptions of speed and vehicle description/license plate numbers (?).  It would be a flurry of activity as they took turns hitting the lights/siren, jumping into traffic, chasing someone down to pull them over and write tickets and then hitting the next cut through gravel spot to jump back into traffic going the other way to race back to the starting point to get in place to pull another driver over.

Hell of an operation when you'd see it.  A real revenue generator the way they went at it.
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 5:59:41 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 7:04:05 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 3:40:11 PM EDT
[#22]
Spent half a day in Fairfax Traffic Court with my Attorney on a poorly done reckless charge from a State Trooper.

The judge at him alive for all the tickets that the Commonwealths Attorney had to Nolle pros, including mine.
I had very high clearances at the time, and a Reckless Conviction would put me in a world of hurt.
Like unemployed from a low six figure job.

I saw I guy from Washington, DC that had missed a court date and was speeding 90 over.

The judge sentenced him to 30 days in jail and suspended his Privilege of Driving in Virginia for a year.

The Deputy Sheriffs in the Courtroom cuffed him up and took him to the jail.
Link Posted: 5/8/2020 9:31:40 PM EDT
[#23]
I haven't testified in traffic court in over 12 years but the norm use to be one day in jail for every mph over 100.  That was rare as in I can only remember one or two times over the years.  The look on their face was priceless when the judge said take them away for processing.  Not sure what they have been doing lately but 33 days would be a shocker.  David
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 9:46:15 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By dwhitehorne:
I haven't testified in traffic court in over 12 years but the norm use to be one day in jail for every mph over 100.  That was rare as in I can only remember one or two times over the years.  The look on their face was priceless when the judge said take them away for processing.  Not sure what they have been doing lately but 33 days would be a shocker.  David
View Quote

While not day for day, that's pretty similar to how things run in the 10th.
Link Posted: 5/13/2020 2:18:36 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By M1A4ME:

Many years ago Maryland was a place all of us stationed at Ft. Myer were warned about.  And I remember driving on I95 and seeing "The Rubber Duck".  The nickname for the semi the Maryland SP would park on the side of the road with the holes in the rear doors.  A combination of radar and cameras (?) and Troopers monitoring speed of oncoming vehicles.  Just around the next curve, or over the next hump would be anywhere from 3 to 5 State Police cars pulling over cars/drivers based on radio reports/descriptions of speed and vehicle description/license plate numbers (?).  It would be a flurry of activity as they took turns hitting the lights/siren, jumping into traffic, chasing someone down to pull them over and write tickets and then hitting the next cut through gravel spot to jump back into traffic going the other way to race back to the starting point to get in place to pull another driver over.

Hell of an operation when you'd see it.  A real revenue generator the way they went at it.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By M1A4ME:
Originally Posted By brickeyee:

Years ago (double nickel days) Maryland State Police purchased human dummies,
put them in uniforms, and parked the car on the shoulder.

It had their intended effect.

Many years ago Maryland was a place all of us stationed at Ft. Myer were warned about.  And I remember driving on I95 and seeing "The Rubber Duck".  The nickname for the semi the Maryland SP would park on the side of the road with the holes in the rear doors.  A combination of radar and cameras (?) and Troopers monitoring speed of oncoming vehicles.  Just around the next curve, or over the next hump would be anywhere from 3 to 5 State Police cars pulling over cars/drivers based on radio reports/descriptions of speed and vehicle description/license plate numbers (?).  It would be a flurry of activity as they took turns hitting the lights/siren, jumping into traffic, chasing someone down to pull them over and write tickets and then hitting the next cut through gravel spot to jump back into traffic going the other way to race back to the starting point to get in place to pull another driver over.

Hell of an operation when you'd see it.  A real revenue generator the way they went at it.

I was making an almost daily drive up to NSA from Falls Church Virginia back then.
For the most part I could avoid rush hours.
Set the cruise control and hold foot above brake pedal.
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 10:29:30 AM EDT
[#26]
Considering that is their only purpose, why would they not be ticketing?
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 12:25:02 PM EDT
[#27]
Coleman Bridge between Gloucester and Yorktown on US17 seems to be a prominent target area...45mlh.
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 2:23:41 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By dwhitehorne:
I haven't testified in traffic court in over 12 years but the norm use to be one day in jail for every mph over 100.  That was rare as in I can only remember one or two times over the years.  The look on their face was priceless when the judge said take them away for processing.  Not sure what they have been doing lately but 33 days would be a shocker.  David
View Quote

Some GDC judges will start doing the 1 day per MPH deal at 90 MPH.

State police are definitely out on I-64 in the Richmond Area. Henrico is out on motorcycles today as well, and traffic is pretty much what motor units do.
Link Posted: 5/17/2020 6:01:56 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By Tipsovr:

I always find it funny how everyone thinks that tickets make up a huge amount of money for localities or the state.  If you do the math (other than a few jackass places -cough- Emporia -cough-  Hopewell), you will find that revenue from tickets makes up very, very little of the state or county budgets.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Tipsovr:
Originally Posted By pevrs114:

VSP doesn't get any revenue from tickets at all. It all goes to the state literary fund.

I always find it funny how everyone thinks that tickets make up a huge amount of money for localities or the state.  If you do the math (other than a few jackass places -cough- Emporia -cough-  Hopewell), you will find that revenue from tickets makes up very, very little of the state or county budgets.

Mostly a thing in small towns.

This guy was barreling in a 25 MPH zone.
I safely pulled out in front of him and was doing 25.
As soon as the road widened out in town to two lanes he pulled into the right lane and raced ahead.

The town cop was in his usual position and lit him up instantly.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top