Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Site Notices
Posted: 11/7/2018 3:36:13 PM EDT
With the changing political landscape, I am wondering if there are any areas my company might expand into that need a largish store $1-2 million in inventory, and a shooting range?

Must have a large enough population base to support such a store/range, a high enough median income, and generally close to major interstates and other retail (car dealerships, malls, chain restaurants) to ensure adequate consumer traffic so as not to be solely dependent upon the immediate communities.
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 3:59:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Akron and youngstown (as well as a few other places) have the Fin. It’s a fun place, but they have a Dicks style pricing structure. So if you’re not charging list price for everything move on in!
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 4:06:27 PM EDT
[#2]
I think you would have a tough time competing with Vance's in Columbus so that is probably out.
Fin Feather and Fur seems to be taking over Northern OH with 6-7 locations currently. Although I do not believe they have indoor ranges.
Point Blank has several locations in Cincinnati/Dayton but I don't know much about them. They just opened a location near Columbus also.

I'm always for more gun stores but I don't see any massively under served areas.
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 4:42:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Akron and youngstown (as well as a few other places) have the Fin. It’s a fun place, but they have a Dicks style pricing structure. So if you’re not charging list price for everything move on in!
View Quote
I'll do some demographic research on those areas, thank you.
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 5:12:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Northern Ohio has the Fin now, central Ohio Vance's.

I was going to say Perrysburg when I read your post but noticed Fin has opened a store in the area. I still think it's ripe for business though as you can be near the 80/75 interchange.

What the situation between Cincinnati and Dayton looking like? Maybe the Dayton area around the 70/75 interchange?
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 7:52:32 PM EDT
[#5]
We go head to head with Field and Stream locally, so we do have experience sharing a market with a big box. I’ve personally never been to a Fin, so I’m not sure how it compares to Field and Stream.
Link Posted: 11/8/2018 12:24:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 11/8/2018 12:25:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 11/8/2018 4:54:21 PM EDT
[#8]
I-675 corridor.
Link Posted: 11/8/2018 5:18:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I would go towards southeast Cuyhoga / Northern Summit County.  Twinsburg, Solon, Macedonia would be the cities to look at.  They would be considered suburbs of both Cleveland and Akron.  There is money there to be spent.

You are not going to find the same population density you would on the east coast, but those areas would draw from a wider area of relatively affluent people with good freeway access.  They would also draw the hunter crowd as they are on the edge of where people would go to hunt.  Hunter tourism is growing here with people skipping the Poconos and just coming to eastern Ohio.  You would also be far enough away from other such shops that you would siphon off customers who don't want to drive 45 minutes to get there.
View Quote
Much appreciated Mike.
Link Posted: 11/8/2018 10:42:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Lancaster/Circleville area imo
Link Posted: 11/9/2018 10:14:57 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote
This. Nothing down here, even in Chillicothe. If you want to buy anything, from guns to reloading supplies it’s an hour drive to Columbus. Oddball shops here and there, but nothing to write home about. Mostly pawn shops or small mom and pops with zero inventory.
Link Posted: 11/9/2018 12:27:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
This. Nothing down here, even in Chillicothe. If you want to buy anything, from guns to reloading supplies it’s an hour drive to Columbus. Oddball shops here and there, but nothing to write home about. Mostly pawn shops or small mom and pops with zero inventory.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Nothing against Lancaster or Circleville, but it doesn't really fit what OP requires

Must have a large enough population base to support such a store/range, a high enough median income, and generally close to major interstates and other retail (car dealerships, malls, chain restaurants) to ensure adequate consumer traffic so as not to be solely dependent upon the immediate communities.
Link Posted: 11/9/2018 4:40:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:Nothing against Lancaster or Circleville, but it doesn't really fit what OP requires
View Quote
Nope, but a selfish plug never hurts.
Link Posted: 11/9/2018 4:43:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Cleveland  Heights. There's an abandoned Walmart building really convenient to my house
Link Posted: 11/9/2018 4:50:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I would go towards southeast Cuyhoga / Northern Summit County.  Twinsburg, Solon, Macedonia would be the cities to look at.  They would be considered suburbs of both Cleveland and Akron.  There is money there to be spent.

You are not going to find the same population density you would on the east coast, but those areas would draw from a wider area of relatively affluent people with good freeway access.  They would also draw the hunter crowd as they are on the edge of where people would go to hunt.  Hunter tourism is growing here with people skipping the Poconos and just coming to eastern Ohio.  You would also be far enough away from other such shops that you would siphon off customers who don't want to drive 45 minutes to get there.
View Quote
If Cleveland Heights doesn't work out, this is a good idea
Link Posted: 11/9/2018 5:31:34 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 11/9/2018 5:59:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Do the cops still carry revolvers and drive green cars?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If Cleveland Heights doesn't work out, this is a good idea
Do the cops still carry revolvers and drive green cars?
Not sure about revolvers but yes to the green vehicles.
Link Posted: 11/9/2018 8:50:48 PM EDT
[#18]
There's no public ranges that you can shoot more than 100yd at around Springfield AFAIK.

Mad River Armory and Range does fair business and has a decent facility, but it's only 20 yards indoor IIRC.

Vandalia has an excellent selection and good range facility but can't support rifles on anything but their 100 yard range.

Fox seems to have a nice place, but I've never shot there.

To get my business you'd have to get me some distance with benches, but also allow me to shoot in regular high power positions, rapid fire (at least high power style), and/or offer a facility where one can engage multiple targets, move, etc. E.g. action shooting practice.

Most people in my area can easily get access to private property to shoot less than 50 yards with pistols or throw some clays up in the air. I hear WPAFB has an excellent clays range, so that market may be cornered.
Link Posted: 11/9/2018 11:50:50 PM EDT
[#19]
I don’t know if Boston heights would let you set up a range, but the Boston heights Costco was supposed to have a bass pro next to it, but it never happened supposedly due to the merger with cabelas.

There’s land all around there, only a Costco and a hotel currently, but right next to the turnpike (Rt 80) and Rt 8 freeway.

The money demographic has to be there though.
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 2:08:59 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I don’t know if Boston heights would let you set up a range, but the Boston heights Costco was supposed to have a bass pro next to it, but it never happened supposedly due to the merger with cabelas.

There’s land all around there, only a Costco and a hotel currently, but right next to the turnpike (Rt 80) and Rt 8 freeway.

View Quote
There's a nice spot where The Coliseum used to stand but I believe it's a protected meadow of Cuyahoga Valley National park.
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 7:48:54 AM EDT
[#21]
Chillicothe (South East Ohio) is really underserved.  I know people in Jackson that drive 2 hours for reloading supplies.

Chillicothe is the hub for about 4 counties.  It would be a good location for a decent store.  It has plenty of restaurants and shopping, easy access on 35 and 23.

It doesn't have the income or population density of southern Delaware county, but it is really underserved.
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 5:39:49 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Chillicothe (South East Ohio) is really underserved.  I know people in Jackson that drive 2 hours for reloading supplies.

Chillicothe is the hub for about 4 counties.  It would be a good location for a decent store.  It has plenty of restaurants and shopping, easy access on 35 and 23.

It doesn't have the income or population density of southern Delaware county, but it is really underserved.
View Quote
Anywhere in the Chilli/Circleville area could be decent in my opinion.
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 7:09:27 PM EDT
[#23]
There is a derth of outdoor ranges open to the public from Cuyahoga county (cleveland) all the way until you get to delaware county just north of columbus.
It was bad enough that I ended up joining a gun club 45 minutes away from me so I wouldn't have to drive 1+ hour to the nearest public outdoor range.

An outdoor range located in summit county with an attached small shop might do VERY well for itself.

How I would set it up:
Indoor 25yd range for rimfire and centerfire pistol cartridge
Outoor 50yd general purpose range; pistols, shotguns, SBRs Full auto, blasting dishwashers, etc...
Then a line of rifle benches with target stands at 100, 200, 300 & 500 yds.
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 8:54:49 PM EDT
[#24]
There are few public ranges (that I know of) between Cleveland, Toledo and down to Mansfield.
Most are private clubs / conservation leagues.
I think there are two small indoor ranges in Lorain.

The Fin moved in down in Milan, and Shelby has the Sportsman's Den. Neither have a range.
Perrysberg has a Finn and Basspro near each other along 75.
Rural King is in Norwalk, Fremont and south of Bucyrus.
Lake Erie Arms is east of Huron.

Of course the area really doesn't have the population density to justify it.

How about a full service range and a small store?
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 8:48:39 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Chillicothe had an Ohio Valley Outdoors, but they all closed up shop not long after they moved in.  The area does seem really underserved with decent gun stores.

Circleville has a really nice club in PCSI, but they want something like $200/year now.  Circleville is closed enough to Columbus that you may be competing with Vance's as well.
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 9:43:41 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Point Blank has several locations in Cincinnati/Dayton but I don't know much about them.
View Quote
Point Blank retail + pricing.
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 10:51:47 AM EDT
[#27]
I say move into the Wilimgton Pk/I-675 vicinity.
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 1:42:50 PM EDT
[#28]
I wouldn’t waste my time in Chillicothe, Portsmouth, or Circleville. The population density is too low.

Columbus is a big market, with Vance’s being the powerhouse.
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 4:46:12 PM EDT
[#29]
Come to Warren county, access to both 71 & 75 and ever-growing population.
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 9:20:17 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I wouldn’t waste my time in Chillicothe, Portsmouth, or Circleville. The population density is too low.

Columbus is a big market, with Vance’s being the powerhouse.
View Quote
Then you have Nash, Blackwing, LEPD and Point Blank to contend with on top of Vance. I haven't been to Vance's in a few years.  Cardinal Center has an outdoor range, with plans to build a retail facility.
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 1:03:58 AM EDT
[#31]
I don't believe any of the local stores you mentioned can compete with Vance's on price. Aside from MAP pricing on a few brands, it's difficult to get anyone to price match them.

My reference point is a recent purchase of an LCP II from them. I don't know if OP just wants to exist, or actually move the volume to compete with Vance's. The Southern towns mentioned are "underserved" because there isn't enough demand. The reloading segment is fractional, and shelf space dedicated to those items collect more dust than my treadmill.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 11:29:38 AM EDT
[#32]
Lake Erie Arms is building a huge new complex just north of the Fin on Rt 250.  It is reported to have indoor pistol range, 100 yard rifle range and a skeet/trap range.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 12:05:03 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote
This is a good area. You are close to both Cle and Akron.   Gander mountain was in Twinsburg.  They went out of business, way overpriced.  Down rt 8 in Cuyahoga falls there is Riverside range Pro armament.  They are members only I think.
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 3:23:48 PM EDT
[#34]
I live in Akron and we don't have much.  the nearest big shop is Fin in canton.  they have decent ammo prices and some good handgun sales, but their rifles and shotguns are over priced.  Also forget it if you want to buy parts for AR's, they have very little and nothing reasonable.  For something like  a simple stripped anderson lower I have to drive all the way out to summit armory in medina.

Also Fin has no range.  The only indoor rifle range I know of is great american shooting sports in canton.  The range is nice but is only about 100 feet, and their inventory in store is tiny. I think i have as many guns as their whole shop.

The only outdoor range less than an hour away is canton rifle and pistol club and you have to be a member.
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 4:52:47 PM EDT
[#35]
Northern Columbus/Delaware/Dublin area maybe?

There is Vance's, but that's on the south side, & Cabela's (which is iffy for shooting goods).

The closer regions to this are mostly private.
Link Posted: 11/18/2018 2:53:47 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I don't believe any of the local stores you mentioned can compete with Vance's on price. Aside from MAP pricing on a few brands, it's difficult to get anyone to price match them.

My reference point is a recent purchase of an LCP II from them. I don't know if OP just wants to exist, or actually move the volume to compete with Vance's. The Southern towns mentioned are "underserved" because there isn't enough demand. The reloading segment is fractional, and shelf space dedicated to those items collect more dust than my treadmill.
View Quote
Point Blank in Cincy West, has taken what they can off on every purchase I’ve made with them. I’ve always left with the feeling I got a fair deal or better.

OP also look at areas that maybe underserved by public ranges are being served quite nicely by private clubs.
Link Posted: 11/18/2018 10:18:04 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I say move into the Wilimgton Pk/I-675 vicinity.
View Quote
I second this. All greater Dayton has Point Blank and the Spring Valley range. Point Blank is overpriced and indoor only. There is currently no range longer than 100yards in Dayton
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 12:09:56 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Northern Columbus/Delaware/Dublin area maybe?

There is Vance's, but that's on the south side, & Cabela's (which is iffy for shooting goods).

The closer regions to this are mostly private.
View Quote
Black Wing Shooting Center and Point Blank
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 6:42:37 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Nothing against Lancaster or Circleville, but it doesn't really fit what OP requires

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Are you kidding. Lancaster is perfect. It's the suburbs of Columbus.  Only 10 minutes from downtown. Higher income people has been moving to this area for the last 10 years. Have you even been to Pickerington and Canal Winchester? They are building houses like there is no tommorow.
Link Posted: 12/29/2018 9:20:02 PM EDT
[#40]
@HiramRanger any update on this project you can share?
Link Posted: 12/29/2018 10:11:46 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Are you kidding. Lancaster is perfect. It's the suburbs of Columbus.  Only 10 minutes from downtown. Higher income people has been moving to this area for the last 10 years. Have you even been to Pickerington and Canal Winchester? They are building houses like there is no tommorow.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Uh what? Downtown Lancaster is about 35 minutes from downtown Columbus.
Link Posted: 12/30/2018 10:07:42 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote
Thats what I'm saying, Ohio Valley in Lancaster was pulling in a couple million a year in the slow years before it closed and much more before that, Chillicothe location wasn't far behind. Even with absolutely atrocious inventory, upper management obliviousness ("when did Kimber start making revolvers? Gen 5 glock? whats that?", dont get me started.), and other issues, we had an good customer base that was being far undeserved.  I still think you could put a nice store somewhere within the Canal Winchester/Circleville/Lancaster triangle and it would do good.
Link Posted: 12/30/2018 11:10:53 AM EDT
[#43]
New Phila. could use something like this.

All we have is a Dicks that replaced Sears in the local mall a few years ago, and Wally World.

Neither have crap for reloading.

It would draw in folks from all around. Might even get some horse-n-buggies in the parking lot, those Amish are a frugal bunch

Just to give you an idea about draw from neighboring towns, the Wally World is one of the busiest in Ohio
Link Posted: 1/3/2019 10:04:33 AM EDT
[#44]
This is something I've been thinking about a lot recently, actually. Having formerly been an FFL, I've got a grasp on how the business operates to a degree. It's largely a volume game, and the bigger chain stores and the internet are gobbling up most of that. Gun shows and smaller shops are a dime a dozen.

What NE Ohio is missing, in my opinion (and I'm biased) is a well thought out indoor shooting facility.  We've got terrible weather that forces us indoors more than half of the year, and all we've got is your average indoor store/ranges combos, and some small hunting/sportsmen clubs that have indoor facilities. In other parts of the country (or the world), there are seriously nice indoor ranges. We don't have that.

If we're extrapolating anything form the average indoor gun range business model, it's that money is obviously made from the average person walking in the door and renting a stall for $15-20/hr. But with the right facility, you could do so much more. Ever been to Vegas? Nobody rents MG's here. Matches? Classes? Rifle stalls? Private ranges for members only? Ever seen European or Russian ranges? Kind of unfair, since they're shoehorned into where they can/cant shoot, but they have some of the nicest facilities I've ever seen.

I'm assuming that building a range is probably a huge pain in the ass from the standpoint of legalities/insurances/EPA, not  to mention the start up costs - but I think that it's the one thing that if you do it RIGHT, can't be touched by any of the competition in the area.
Link Posted: 1/3/2019 10:09:21 AM EDT
[#45]
double tap
Link Posted: 1/3/2019 10:23:38 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
@HiramRanger any update on this project you can share?
View Quote
No, sadly I’m facing round two of the cancer fight and have been sidetracked. OH, PA, and TN are three regions we are looking at. I will be evaluating everything you’ve shared and will discuss with the company’s CEO. Sorry for no updates.
Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top