Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/20/2023 12:19:13 AM EDT
I matched into my #1 choice for residency in Wichita, KS.

I know nothing about the flatlands. I live where there are elk and bear in my backyard.

Obviously I'm going to be busy as hell as a new resident physician, so something close to St. Joseph or St. Francis would be ideal, but I know nothing about what neighborhoods are good and what aren't.

I can take a trip or two out to look at houses. I'll probably rent for at least my first year if not all three years.

Can anyone share about what neighborhoods to look at? I've never lived in the city and I have absolutely no idea what the good neighborhoods are in Wichita.

Residents make about 60k a year so there's at least better budget than a poor medical student, but keeping it under $1200 looks reasonable from my limited research.

Thanks for any advice!
Link Posted: 3/20/2023 9:07:20 AM EDT
[#1]
Both my kids were born at St Joseph. Area around there seems kinda shitty.

You gonna visit first or just show up cold to your new pad?
Link Posted: 3/20/2023 10:43:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Uys] [#2]
apartment or house?

College Hill neighborhood would put you between St Francis and St Jo.  I am not a city dweller either, but Wichita isn't bad to get around.  Commute times aren't bad if you live out of town.

https://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/203-N-Terrace-Dr_Wichita_KS_67208_M90710-53837
Link Posted: 3/20/2023 10:57:21 AM EDT
[#3]
Welcome to Kansas! I hope you enjoy your time here!
Link Posted: 3/20/2023 2:47:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Generally speaking, avoid the city center and start searching outward from those those communities. Maize (NW), Bel Aire (NE), Derby (SE), etc. A bit more driving, but you don't really want to be down near the hospitals. College Hill, as said, is cool, but it's near Wesley Med Center. That said, I have no idea if those areas will have apartments in your range; been a long time since we've been apartment dwellers. Welcome to Kansas!
Link Posted: 3/20/2023 4:05:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Uys:
apartment or house?

College Hill neighborhood would put you between St Francis and St Jo.  I am not a city dweller either, but Wichita isn't bad to get around.  Commute times aren't bad if you live out of town.

https://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/203-N-Terrace-Dr_Wichita_KS_67208_M90710-53837
View Quote

House. Thanks!

I'll take a trip or two out to take a look around before I pull the trigger.

Thanks everyone!
Link Posted: 4/14/2023 10:32:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/30/2023 7:28:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Riverside, Delano, and College Hill have a great look to them and are close to the hospital and activities, but they are also close enough to be within walking distance of rougher neighborhoods. There are  lofts and apartments downtown that might be nice if you're single.

Avoid Oaklawn, anything within 1 mile of WSU, or anything within a half mile of I135 until its outside the city. I personally lived in Sunnyside for a while and never had issues, but I wouldn't recommend it.
Link Posted: 9/9/2023 8:13:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Norinco982lover:

@armoredderp follow this advice.

They're all just 15-20 minutes tops from the 2 via christi hospitals you mentioned.

View Quote

The best thing about wichita is living outside of wichita.  I'm in a small town about 4 miles west of Maize living the small town life. The best way I can think to describe it is that while I was only mildly surprised someone had parked their tractor and bailer in the local bar's parking lot last Saturday night, I can still get anywhere in wichita that I want to be in 30 minutes or less
Link Posted: 9/16/2023 8:38:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Gotta be The Keg in Colwich.
Link Posted: 10/28/2023 6:19:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Commute won't be bad from most places.  

Downtown  and old Town areas at night are not the best.  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top