Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 12/8/2019 8:30:52 PM EDT
And do you know how to use it?

I am looking at putting together a large group buy for armor, and possibly IFAKs.

Do your shooting buddies not on ARF have these things? And do you know how to use them?
Link Posted: 12/8/2019 8:55:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Our Loudoun group was just discussing this type of stuff yesterday. Many have these items, most also wanted more training.
Link Posted: 12/8/2019 9:15:00 PM EDT
[#2]
PC and helmet yes.  Never pulled the trigger on an IFAK, but yes, I know how to use one.  Well, the old ones anyhow.
Link Posted: 12/8/2019 9:23:32 PM EDT
[#3]
I’m a paramedic, I have tons of IFAKs.  I have chest rigs.  I don’t have PCs or helmets.  Gear is great but we really need training.
Link Posted: 12/8/2019 9:39:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Most of the guys I know have plates of some type.
Med kits and coms not so much.
Link Posted: 12/8/2019 9:48:37 PM EDT
[#5]
IFAKs, yes. Plates, some, but not many. Helmets... not interested. If you’re in the East TN/SWVA area and want IFAK training, I can get you set up if we have 10+ interested.
Link Posted: 12/8/2019 9:52:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Opscore helmet, Crye- CAGE armor, BlueForce gear TraumaNOW IFAK.

I'm good to go.  I appreciate your support.

ETA: I'm also a paramedic / TCCC certified if anyone near Winchester wants to learn.
Link Posted: 12/8/2019 10:37:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
IFAKs, yes. Plates, some, but not many. Helmets... not interested. If you’re in the East TN/SWVA area and want IFAK training, I can get you set up if we have 10+ interested.
View Quote
Out of curiosity, why would you not be interested in a helmet? Especially since they have 7.62 NATO rated lightweight helmets now?
Link Posted: 12/8/2019 10:47:05 PM EDT
[#8]
I would be interested in this.
Link Posted: 12/8/2019 10:57:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Most of the guys I know have plates of some type.
Med kits and coms not so much.
View Quote
I may have the comms issue worked out shortly...see my sig block.
Link Posted: 12/8/2019 11:04:20 PM EDT
[#10]
I would be interested in this. I have an IFAK and have had MARCH training.

I need a plate carrier and plates but not sure which to buy.
Link Posted: 12/8/2019 11:29:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Have armor/helmet. Got a handful of tourniquets, but no training or other med supplies. Saw some mentions of comms - I do have Peltor Comtacs, did grab a Baofeng some time back, but haven't really set it up.
Link Posted: 12/8/2019 11:36:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I am looking at putting together a large group buy for armor, and possibly IFAKs.

Do your shooting buddies not on ARF have these things? And do you know how to use them?
View Quote
PM sent.
Link Posted: 12/8/2019 11:36:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Interested. Please keep me in the loop
Link Posted: 12/9/2019 9:43:33 AM EDT
[#14]
Interested as well
Link Posted: 12/9/2019 9:59:51 AM EDT
[#15]
I have my old ACH from the OIF days and a Spiritus Systems chest rig that holds my med gear as well.

No reason for plates IMHO.  If you do buy bulk IFAKs, makes sure the contents inside hasn't expired or isn't close to expiring.
Link Posted: 12/9/2019 10:11:02 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

No, I don’t have it, and I am interested.
Link Posted: 12/9/2019 10:42:32 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 12/9/2019 11:44:25 AM EDT
[#18]
Yes.
Link Posted: 12/9/2019 12:00:31 PM EDT
[#19]
Interested!  Have been trying to figure out an IFAK.  Keep me posted.
Link Posted: 12/9/2019 12:06:46 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Interested!  Have been trying to figure out an IFAK.  Keep me posted.
View Quote
Interested.
Link Posted: 12/9/2019 4:09:02 PM EDT
[#21]
I've been looking to upgrade/update my first line gear so I'm interested in any group buy. Also might be able to lend a hand with some trauma training but I should brush up on that as well.
Link Posted: 12/9/2019 4:19:37 PM EDT
[#22]
I have a carrier. No plates but am trying to work a deal on a used set now.

Ifak, no. Not a real one.

Helmet, not since..... 1995.
Link Posted: 12/9/2019 4:24:43 PM EDT
[#23]
Recently got a PC and plates. Have a decent IFAK, but am planning on using next year's FSA funds on new medical stuff. FSA Store seems to have some decent options and if I am reading correct Amazon has FSA/HSA approved items you can directly use your FSA card on so you don't even need to fudge with getting reimbursed.

Any idea on what the cost of the helmet is going to work out to?
Link Posted: 12/9/2019 4:35:49 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Recently got a PC and plates. Have a decent IFAK, but am planning on using next year's FSA funds on new medical stuff. FSA Store seems to have some decent options and if I am reading correct Amazon has FSA/HSA approved items you can directly use your FSA card on so you don't even need to fudge with getting reimbursed.

View Quote
You should be able to get into a solid helmet new for ~600 or less. Signicifantly less for one that is used. Just keep in mind that your head is kind of important.
Link Posted: 12/9/2019 4:48:17 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
You should be able to get into a solid helmet new for ~600 or less. Signicifantly less for one that is used. Just keep in mind that your head is kind of important.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've been told my head is pretty hard, so I should be good!

Helmet is next on my big purchase list.

When are you looking at trying to do a group buy?
Link Posted: 12/9/2019 6:55:42 PM EDT
[#26]
I'm interested in a second set of plates if you think you can discount them.
Link Posted: 12/9/2019 7:18:03 PM EDT
[#27]
Who makes good helmets?
Link Posted: 12/9/2019 7:22:39 PM EDT
[#28]
I don’t have any of this stuff and don’t know what an IFAK is. I’m intrigued, though, and I now express my interest.
Link Posted: 12/9/2019 7:46:16 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I don’t have any of this stuff and don’t know what an IFAK is. I’m intrigued, though, and I now express my interest.
View Quote
IFAK is an Individual First Aid Kit- specifically it is a first aid kit focused on life threatening gunshot wounds and other major trauma.
Link Posted: 12/9/2019 8:11:12 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Out of curiosity, why would you not be interested in a helmet? Especially since they have 7.62 NATO rated lightweight helmets now?
View Quote
Not just me but the guys I train with. IFAKs are a necessity, but with the terrain and weather, plates and helmets don’t make sense. Some guys have plates, but we don’t wear ‘em, and we don’t usually use chest rigs either, just belt kits.
Link Posted: 12/9/2019 9:47:38 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Not just me but the guys I train with. IFAKs are a necessity, but with the terrain and weather, plates and helmets don’t make sense. Some guys have plates, but we don’t wear ‘em, and we don’t usually use chest rigs either, just belt kits.
View Quote
I mean...I have spent a lot of time in the area around Roanoke, and in the Rocky Mountains, and other...worse places.  I always wear plates and nearly always wear a helmet...cause getting shot sucks.
Link Posted: 12/9/2019 10:04:25 PM EDT
[#32]
I think I'm leaning away from the used ESAPI plates, and moving toward the RMA armor III+ ones. same price once I buy backers.

But they are like... 12 week lead time.
Link Posted: 12/9/2019 10:09:10 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote
Have all of the above, but for someone who does use them in their day job I definitely need to stay current with training.

Something I started doing since the Pearl Harbor Day hike is wearing my plates (slick carrier concealed) everyday. Nobody notices but it really helps get accustomed to wearing them— the weight, driving, etc. For those in a similar situation you might consider it.
Link Posted: 12/9/2019 10:14:21 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Have all of the above, but for someone who does use them in their day job I definitely need to stay current with training.

Something I started doing since the Pearl Harbor Day hike is wearing my plates (slick carrier concealed) everyday. Nobody notices but it really helps get accustomed to wearing them— the weight, driving, etc. For those in a similar situation you might consider it.
View Quote
@RockHard13F

But I’m still up for a group buy if you get one together..
Link Posted: 12/9/2019 10:15:32 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I mean...I have spent a lot of time in the area around Roanoke, and in the Rocky Mountains, and other...worse places.  I always wear plates and nearly always wear a helmet...cause getting shot sucks.
View Quote
I definitely understand your reasons for wearing them, but right now it doesn’t seem like the trade off with mobility and weight is worth it. Depending on the future, I might decide otherwise though...
Link Posted: 12/9/2019 10:21:27 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I definitely understand your reasons for wearing them, but right now it doesn’t seem like the trade off with mobility and weight is worth it. Depending on the future, I might decide otherwise though...
View Quote
All this to say that I would probably be interested in a group buy for plates and maybe carriers, if the wallet will cooperate
Link Posted: 12/9/2019 10:27:46 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

All this to say that I would probably be interested in a group buy for plates and maybe carriers, if the wallet will cooperate
View Quote
Honestly, a good helmet (AS600?) would be far more valuable even than a plate carrier.  Now that there are lightweight helmets that stop 7.62 rifle rounds, protecting your noggin is key.  I, or any number of members here, can stop bleeding for a chest wound.  If you take one through the dome?  Well....bad day.

My caveat with that, would be if you get 5.56 stand alone rated plates that are legit concealable, and actually wear them, that is a huge deal.
Link Posted: 12/9/2019 10:40:30 PM EDT
[#38]
interested as well
Link Posted: 12/9/2019 11:08:09 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Honestly, a good helmet (AS600?) would be far more valuable even than a plate carrier.  Now that there are lightweight helmets that stop 7.62 rifle rounds, protecting your noggin is key.  I, or any number of members here, can stop bleeding for a chest wound.  If you take one through the dome?  Well....bad day.

My caveat with that, would be if you get 5.56 stand alone rated plates that are legit concealable, and actually wear them, that is a huge deal.
View Quote
AS600 is expensive but does provide excellent protection, my thinking on this (correct me if I’m wrong) is that if you take a direct hit from 5.56 M855, 7.62x51 or bigger, you’ll probably end up with some brain damage or at least a concussion? I would prefer a quick (and heroic if at all possible ) death as opposed to becoming a vegetable or in a coma for years. What level plates were you thinking?
Link Posted: 12/9/2019 11:14:17 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

AS600 is expensive but does provide excellent protection, my thinking on this (correct me if I’m wrong) is that if you take a direct hit from 5.56 M855, 7.62x51 or bigger, you’ll probably end up with some brain damage or at least a concussion? I would prefer a quick (and heroic if at all possible ) death as opposed to becoming a vegetable or in a coma for years. What level plates were you thinking?
View Quote
I am personlly trying to decide on Esapis or iii+ . I don't know how I'd ever conceal that shit though.
Link Posted: 12/9/2019 11:16:41 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I am personlly trying to decide on Esapis or iii+ . I don't know how I'd ever conceal that shit though.
View Quote
Wear a trench coat? Pad your carrier to look really fat under your shirt? Just throwing that out there...

Edit: screw it just get Level IV and the trench coat. Freak ‘em out...
Link Posted: 12/10/2019 12:39:27 AM EDT
[#42]
I have two IFAKs... one a personal purchase from a local training outfit/equipment seller; and the other issued by my agency.  I did the private training on my own dime was paid to go to the second time.

I have an old LBT 6094L-L - it's really strange, it dates back to 2007 but was unissued.  Not sure what plates it's compatible with as I can't find any info on it.
Link Posted: 12/10/2019 2:04:37 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote
unless you really want the protection from ap rounds iii+ plates can be much lighter

i have most everything listed but would still be interested in a group buy , i have some friends that could use some good kit
Link Posted: 12/10/2019 8:29:17 AM EDT
[#44]
I think secure communications or just how to properly setup and use a radio is something which is going to be an important skill. Shoot, move, communicate.

Also, medical supplies. Stopping a bleed. Stabilizing injuries. Moving someone out of harms weigh without causing worse damage. Basic stuff.
Link Posted: 12/10/2019 10:15:45 AM EDT
[#45]
Got an IFAK, issued to me several years ago, have a plate carrier but not a HSLD one. No helmet.
Link Posted: 12/10/2019 5:49:00 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Got an IFAK, issued to me several years ago, have a plate carrier but not a HSLD one. No helmet.
View Quote
Ordered my medium size III+ today, but the only carrier I have is a Eagle L/XL. Best I can do for now.  I'm the poos I guess, plates were 500.00
Link Posted: 12/10/2019 5:57:42 PM EDT
[#47]
Tag for interest. I have plates and a carrier, I would like a helmet and I have no idea what an IFAK is. I also need some guidance on how to set my carrier up with mag holders and what now.

I also need to get in better shape so I can actually function while wearing them, ive started walking more during my break at work.
Link Posted: 12/10/2019 6:54:25 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Tag for interest. I have plates and a carrier, I would like a helmet and I have no idea what an IFAK is. I also need some guidance on how to set my carrier up with mag holders and what now.

I also need to get in better shape so I can actually function while wearing them, ive started walking more during my break at work.
View Quote
The being in shape piece cannot be stressed enough. To put it in perspective, I am 6'3" tall, and fluctuate between 205 and 215lbs. I can run sub 5 minutes for a mile, and can do 25 pullups from a dead hang as of two days ago.

With full kit on, I can be, in relative terms, pretty gassed within minutes of fighting. Am I still functional? Sure...but even when you are fighting with rifles, it is an extraordinarily difficult thing to do. Your heart is pumping at max cyclic rate and you are adrenaline dumping. Being in good shape makes sure not only that you can go beyond the roughly two minutes it can take someone to break down at max effort, but helps you manage the stress and keep your wits about you.
Link Posted: 12/10/2019 7:17:47 PM EDT
[#49]
Two things:
1. Cardio is key to wearing plates, not lifting weights.  The extra poundage of gear wears you out.  Highly recommend just jogging a mile, and working your way up to 3.  I don't really see a point beyond 5.  A Concept 2 rower is a great cardio / all around machine to put in your house if you can afford the few hundred dollars to get a used one on FB Market, etc.  I personally alternate between the two every day.  If you want to get crazy, exercise in your plate carrier once you plateau.

2. Plates and helmets are great; a group buy is awesome. But also start with just your basic chest rig and a battle belt.  Basic battle belt set up is 1 rifle mag, 2 pistol mags, an IFAK with tourniquet, and your pistol holster.  The KYWI mag pouches and BlueForce Gear TraumaNOW IFAK is kinda the standard today.   Chest rig is 3-6 magazines, tourniquet, pouch for coms, admin pouch.

Everything is METT-TC dependent.  Ie: If I'm to ruck for a day strait through the woods to observe something, and not anticipate a firefight, chest rig.  If I'm expecting to be shot at, full armor battle rattle.

Good discussion RockHard; what specifically were you looking at?
Link Posted: 12/11/2019 12:19:38 AM EDT
[#50]
Interested in plate group buy. I missed the RMA III+ deal a while back.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top