Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Iowa
Site Notices
Posted: 12/3/2022 5:57:01 AM EDT
Correct me if i'm wrong but, when constitutional carry was passed it amended the section that exempted the rule about requiring cased unloaded firearms on a public roadway. (Among other hings)

The law never struck this rule from the record, but did effectively eliminate any circumstance in which it would apply to anyone.

Is this a correct assumption?

This just seems "clear as mud" as I head out to hunt and realize I can legally carry a rifle uncased and loaded, but it could lead to an argument and potential court costs with the dnr if I were to choose to do such a thing.
Link Posted: 12/3/2022 1:22:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Email me at [email protected]. I'll ask our lobbyist answer this for you.
Link Posted: 12/3/2022 3:51:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Email me at [email protected]. I'll ask our lobbyist answer this for you.
View Quote

I'd be interested in an answer too.
Link Posted: 12/7/2022 4:26:08 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Correct me if i'm wrong but, when constitutional carry was passed it amended the section that exempted the rule about requiring cased unloaded firearms on a public roadway. (Among other hings)

The law never struck this rule from the record, but did effectively eliminate any circumstance in which it would apply to anyone.

Is this a correct assumption?

This just seems "clear as mud" as I head out to hunt and realize I can legally carry a rifle uncased and loaded, but it could lead to an argument and potential court costs with the dnr if I were to choose to do such a thing.
View Quote
get your permit and don't worry about it.
Link Posted: 12/7/2022 12:15:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
get your permit and don't worry about it.
View Quote

I have my permit
Permits are irrelivant they don't do anything
Link Posted: 12/7/2022 1:30:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I have my permit
View Quote

"don't do anything" isn't quite right.  there are other benefits.

permits do speed up the process for purchasing a firearm as no instant background check needed if you have a permit.  instant background checks have not been very "instant" in the past.  a right delayed is a right denied.

also doubles as a government issued ID when you need to provide another form of ID.

and many states that have reciprocity with Iowa require that you have an Iowa permit to carry in their state.

Dave, I am interested in what your lobbyist has to say about the original posters question.
Link Posted: 12/7/2022 4:31:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

permits do speed up the process for purchasing a firearm as no instant background check needed if you have a permit.  instant background checks have not been very "instant" in the past.  a right delayed is a right denied.

also doubles as a government issued ID when you need to provide another form of ID.

and many states that have reciprocity with Iowa require that you have an Iowa permit to carry in their state.

Dave, I am interested in what your lobbyist has to say about the original posters question.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have my permit

Not to mention, a permit allows you to carry your handgun while bowhunting. It's still in the hunting regs that you can't carry while bowhunting unless you have a carry permit.

But I've been curious about the OP's question myself.
Link Posted: 12/8/2022 11:31:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Richard, our lobbyist, is pretty busy right now drafting proposed legislation for this upcoming session. I'm not sure when he will reply to the request for clarification.

Remember all, we at IFC are all volunteers. I'm sure you could pay a lawyer $1500-2500 for an opinion if you're in a hurry.

But Richard will give you the correct answer when he has time.
Link Posted: 12/10/2022 1:41:50 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I have my permit
View Quote

they let you carry an uncased gun of any type in your car. You will be charged if you don't have a permit.
Link Posted: 12/10/2022 9:24:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

they let you carry an uncased gun of any type in your car. You will be charged if you don't have a permit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have my permit

This get permit even now I still don't know why people wouldn't
Link Posted: 2/22/2023 12:57:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Having recipricary law enacted many think, "well no sense in spending $ on a permit"
there needs to be education on this. should maybe be pamphlets at sherrifs office or online with details mentioned in this thread.
Link Posted: 2/22/2023 6:19:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Plus the ability to bypass NICS check at time of sale. Worth the small fee in my opinion. IFC is currently working on a legislation change for "manner of conveyance "
Link Posted: 2/26/2023 1:28:35 AM EDT
[#12]
One other benefit of having the carry permit is that you will not be prosecuted for driving through a gun free school zone armed, that doesn't mean the school parking lot, but with permit no issue while driving on the public roadway in front of a school which is pretty important.
Link Posted: 3/2/2023 7:05:49 PM EDT
[#13]
I believe the cased gun issue still applies to anyone under 18, since the permitless carry law only covers 18 and up. My kid thinks it's stupid and can't understand why he has to case his gun and I don't. He's getting a good dose of laws that make no sense.
Link Posted: 3/7/2023 5:49:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I believe the cased gun issue still applies to anyone under 18, since the permitless carry law only covers 18 and up. My kid thinks it's stupid and can't understand why he has to case his gun and I don't. He's getting a good dose of laws that make no sense.
View Quote

Pretty sure the Constitutional Carry law is 21+, not 18.

They didn't drop the permit age to 18, that's still 21.
Link Posted: 3/11/2023 1:40:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Now that hunting season is over no need for guns to be in case's.
Link Posted: 3/11/2023 2:52:37 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

Coyote season is never over amd DNR has a huge hardon against mortals carrying loaded guns.
Link Posted: 3/18/2023 9:26:02 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Coyote season is never over amd DNR has a huge hardon against mortals carrying loaded guns.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

We have never had any problem carrying uncased loaded guns during hunting season DNR just asked if had a permit
Link Posted: 3/26/2023 5:34:52 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

@New_Username

I believe I got the age from this article:

https://iowafc.org/2021/04/07/effects-of-hf756-constitutional-carry-bill-you-need-to-understand/

Michael is in the know on most things firearm related in this state, but I suppose he could be wrong.

I believe it is inferred that 18 is the cutoff due to the new sections covering violations for minors and carrying. Everywhere I have looked in the Code of Iowa, a minor is someone under 18.
Link Posted: 3/26/2023 6:35:59 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

@New_Username

https://iowafc.org/2021/04/07/effects-of-hf756-constitutional-carry-bill-you-need-to-understand/

Michael is in the know on most things firearm related in this state, but I suppose he could be wrong.

I believe it is inferred that 18 is the cutoff due to the new sections covering violations for minors and carrying. Everywhere I have looked in the Code of Iowa, a minor is someone under 18.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@New_Username

I was under the impression the only exemption we have for handguns under 21 is when it's in a Professional setting, IE law enforcement. Constitutional Carry follows the same guidelines as our carry permit issuance, 21+

If you are 18, you will have a Professional Permit, and it's a non issue.

If I have it wrong, I have it wrong, and will admit it. Always good to get correct info out there!
Link Posted: 3/26/2023 7:42:16 PM EDT
[#20]
Remember, there are more than handguns that Iowa carry laws cover. Dangerous weapons include all firearms (long guns included), knives, clubs, stun guns, etc. Any of those are available to an 18+ year old to purchase or possess. I don't know why they shouldn't be able to carry them too.
Link Posted: 3/26/2023 9:57:15 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Remember, there are more than handguns that Iowa carry laws cover. Dangerous weapons include all firearms (long guns included), knives, clubs, stun guns, etc. Any of those are available to an 18+ year old to purchase or possess. I don't know why they shouldn't be able to carry them too.
View Quote

Most of those also stipulate having a valid PCW to carry those, Constitutional Carry as I understand it, does not give those a pass.

Having a permit still does grant you many more valid ways to keep guns accessible, despite being Constitutional Carry, it isn't as blanket freedom as most think.

Federal Gun Free School Zone Act comes into mind.
Link Posted: 3/27/2023 8:06:21 AM EDT
[#22]
Constitutional carry in Iowa absolutely covers those weapons, as Iowa carry laws have always covered dangerous weapons rather than just firearms.

I do agree that getting a permit is still probably the best answer for most people. I also think too many people in this state are still used to being told what they have permission to do, rather than what they have a right to be able to do.
Page Hometown » Iowa
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top