Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Iowa
Site Notices
Posted: 12/29/2017 5:01:58 AM EDT
So tell me this doesn't sound shady...

A coworker of mine told me he got on a list at the local locker (a very reputable one) where he is going to get a hush deer and only has to pay the processing fee...

Are lockers giving out and not reporting hush deer so they can get more for processing than the state gives?

He claimed a lot of the lockers have these "lists"

I don't know how hush deer are distributed, but i'm pretty sure this isn't it.
Link Posted: 12/29/2017 2:31:54 PM EDT
[#1]
From what I've seen, I wouldn't want any HUSH deer meat. They aren't exactly processed or handled like the other meat.

Just my observations.................
Link Posted: 12/30/2017 11:00:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Novice question, what's a hush deer?
Link Posted: 12/30/2017 11:03:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Novice question, what's a hush deer?
Link Posted: 12/31/2017 4:11:06 PM EDT
[#4]
HUSH-Help Us Stop Hunger. Hunters donate deer for food pantries
Link Posted: 1/1/2018 11:39:14 AM EDT
[#5]
Sounds shady I know they get paid $60/deer by the state so said locker is probably reporting it then selling it out the backdoor to double dip
Link Posted: 1/1/2018 9:33:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Sounds shady I know they get paid $60/deer by the state so said locker is probably reporting it then selling it out the backdoor to double dip
View Quote
If that were the case, you would expect a sting operation, or even a simple audit should bring state felony fraud charges. That would be a pretty big risk for such a small return.
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 11:24:55 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

If that were the case, you would expect a sting operation, or even a simple audit should bring state felony fraud charges. That would be a pretty big risk for such a small return.
View Quote
Not really. Do you know how many pounds of meat you'll get when you take your deer in? Maybe the turned HUSH deer were all said to be small & skinny! But in reality were much bigger! A few pounds here and there can add up quickly.

From what I've seen, the HUSH deer usually lay around in a pile and get processed last. Some not even being gutted right away. There's little if any special care given to them at all.

As I mentioned previously, I wouldn't want any HUSH deer meat.  
Link Posted: 1/3/2018 1:34:08 AM EDT
[#8]
I investigated through further questions.

he said, people will donate deer to the locker (as opposed to hush) to give away for the cost of processing and the locker donates the untaken deer to hush.

that's the story anyway
Link Posted: 1/4/2018 11:35:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I investigated through further questions.

he said, people will donate deer to the locker (as opposed to hush) to give away for the cost of processing and the locker donates the untaken deer to hush.

that's the story anyway
View Quote
They might sell unpaid deer to recover processing costs too. Don't think they're supposed to do it, since it amounts to 1. selling un-inspected meat and 2. selling game meat-but I don't know all the laws, maybe lockers get an exception. Taxidermy isn't supposed to be sold either, but taxidermists are allowed to sell off mounts that customers stiff them for. Maybe lockers get a similar allowance.
Link Posted: 1/5/2018 1:53:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

They might sell unpaid deer to recover processing costs too. Don't think they're supposed to do it, since it amounts to 1. selling un-inspected meat and 2. selling game meat-but I don't know all the laws, maybe lockers get an exception. Taxidermy isn't supposed to be sold either, but taxidermists are allowed to sell off mounts that customers stiff them for. Maybe lockers get a similar allowance.
View Quote
I think you're wrong about the taxidermy I see mounts for sale all the time and there is a big auction here for such
Link Posted: 1/5/2018 9:41:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I think you're wrong about the taxidermy I see mounts for sale all the time and there is a big auction here for such
View Quote
Maybe it's just migratory birds that can't be sold then-I know I read something about mounts not being sellable.
Page Hometown » Iowa
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top