Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/3/2019 10:11:37 PM EDT
Lots of confusion here.  Its your pistol and you who are exposed to a civil infraction if you mess this up.  
Consider this then.

Michigan has TWO pistol permit "registration" requirements.  1. A permit to purchase (you get from your local PD). 2. A Pistol sales Record (RI 60)(you get on line from MSP).
Pay attention.  There is MCL 28.422 and MCL 28.422a.

The Good News.
MCL 28.422(1) requires a permit to purchase a pistol no matter how you come into possession.  
MCL 28.432(1)(f), however, establishes one of the exemptions to MCL 28.422(1)  It provides that “[s]ection 2 [MCL 28.422] does not apply to any of the following, including:
"A United States citizen holding a license to carry a pistol concealed upon his or her person issued by another state."  
So if you are a Michigan Resident and a United States Citizen and you hold an Arizona CPL, you are exempt from the permit to purchase a pistol requirement under 28.422(1).
Of course, if you hold a Michigan CPL, you are also exempt.

The Bad News.
MCL 28.422a (1) however, requires a person that comes into possession of a pistol, to file a Pistol Sales Record.  It states: "(2) If an individual described in subsection (1) [MCL 28.422(1)] purchases or otherwise acquires a pistol, the seller shall complete a record in triplicate on a form provided by the department of state police." This is the RI-60 Pistol Sales Record. There is no Arizona or other state CLP exemption to this legal obligation.

You have to file a Pistol Sales Record for a pistol you make.  The law says "purchase or otherwise acquires" a pistol.  If you make a Glock from an 80 percent frame, you have "otherwise acquired" a pistol.   An Arizona CPL does not exempt you from this particular state law.
The Attorney General has also addressed this in part in Opinion 7304.

If you think differently, get a lawyer to put it in writing.   You will need it.
Link Posted: 10/7/2019 4:28:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
You have to file a Pistol Sales Record for a pistol you make.  The law says "purchase or otherwise acquires" a pistol.  If you make a Glock from an 80 percent frame, you have "otherwise acquired" a pistol.   An Arizona CPL does not exempt you from this particular state law.
The Attorney General has also addressed this in part in Opinion 7304.

If you think differently, get a lawyer to put it in writing.   You will need it.
View Quote
The way I understand it from what I've read, if you buy a pistol you will need to fill out an RI-60 but there is no requirement to turn it in.  Now how that would work with a Polymer80 or building an AR pistol from a virgin lower is the real question.  Fill out an RI-60 and not turn it in?  I haven't journeyed into that area yet but probably will soon.

Over on MGO in the Legal Beagle section there are a lot of threads about this.
Link Posted: 10/7/2019 8:57:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Michigan residents must register their handguns. You being the manufacturer doesn't change the fact.

Failure to do so is a misdemeanor.
Link Posted: 10/8/2019 7:53:42 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Michigan residents must register their handguns. You being the manufacturer doesn't change the fact.

Failure to do so is a misdemeanor.
View Quote
That part is wrong.

MCL 28.422(5) - Failing to register within 10 days after purchase is a civil infraction and a $250 fine.
Link Posted: 10/9/2019 7:58:34 AM EDT
[#4]
Filling out an RI-60 and not turning it in is the same as not filling out an RI-60 at all
Link Posted: 10/9/2019 8:56:08 PM EDT
[#5]

The Bad News.
MCL 28.422a (1) however, requires a person that comes into possession of a pistol, to file a Pistol Sales Record.  It states: "(2) If an individual described in subsection (1) [MCL 28.422(1)] purchases or otherwise acquires a pistol, the seller shall complete a record in triplicate on a form provided by the department of state police." This is the RI-60 Pistol Sales Record. There is no Arizona or other state CLP exemption to this legal obligation.
View Quote
28.432 Inapplicability of MCL 28.422; amendatory act as “Janet Kukuk act”.

Sec. 12.
 (1) Section 2 does not apply to any of the following:
 (f) A United States citizen holding a license to carry a pistol concealed upon his or her person issued by another state.
 (i) An individual carrying, possessing, using, or transporting a pistol belonging to another individual, if the other individual's possession of the pistol is authorized by law and the individual carrying, possessing, using, or transporting the pistol has obtained a license under section 5b to carry a concealed pistol or is exempt from licensure as provided in section 12a.
 (2) The amendatory act that added subsection (1)(h) shall be known and may be cited as the "Janet Kukuk act".
Link Posted: 10/10/2019 11:42:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Again, don' t mix MCL 28.422 with MCL 28.422a.  See the "a"? MCL 28.432 (Kukla Act) exempts an Michigan resident AZ CCP holder from 28.422 (permit to Purchase), NOT MCL 28.422a (Pistol Sales Record).

MOC's position is to the contrary.  See MOC Registration analysis.
If you don't register your completed 80 percent pistol, its a civil infraction.

Still, the best test case is a Michigan Resident with an AZ CCP permit only and no Michigan CCP who builds an 80 percent pistol.  The defense there is that section 2a does NOT specifically identify an out of state CCP holder as a person that is subject to the obligation to file a pistol sales record.   My guess is that a judge would nevertheless read the AZ CCP into the statute as the legal equivalent of a Michigan CCP, but that is only a guess.
Link Posted: 10/24/2019 10:01:20 PM EDT
[#7]
I just went through it with a Poly80.

I filled out an RI-60 with me as buyer and seller on all three parts of the form.  I turned that one in the same time I turned one in for a stripped genuine Glock frame I completed.  I had a 40S&W barrel & slide on the Glock & listed it as such on the RI-60.

The Poly80 form was return in the mail with a letter explaining that caliber must be specified and a serial number is required.  I had listed the caliber as "multi" and serial number as "none".  I believed since I could in fact have multiple barrels & slides for the Poly80 that "multi" would be appropriate.  As could be the case with an AR15 lower.
I completed a new form and added 40S&W for caliber.  I engraved a serial number to the frame "PX10-2019" and listed that on the form.

I dropped the newly completed form off about 15 days ago.  Haven't heard anything back & I hopefully I won't this time.
Link Posted: 10/27/2019 5:51:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Just FYI, there is no law that says you must have a serial number as you are not a manufacturer.  You certainly may number it but its not a legal requirement. The MSP have conceded that no SN is needed. Usually the local PD is the one saying you need a SN but can produce no legal support when politely asked.
Link Posted: 10/29/2019 9:30:52 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/17/2020 8:54:30 AM EDT
[#10]
What if you move to Michigan with pistols you aquired, purchased, or manufactured prior to establishing residence here? I posted this question here years ago but never got a thought-through response.  Reading through 423.22,  I dont see where regestration is compulsory  in  this scenario.

-T
Link Posted: 1/17/2020 10:25:36 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/17/2020 11:09:53 PM EDT
[#12]
MCL 28.422  says (1) Except as otherwise provided in this act, a person shall not purchase, carry, possess, or transport a pistol in this state without first having obtained a license for the pistol as prescribed in this section." So if you possess a pistol, you must obtain a "permit to purchase" for each pistol possessed, UNLESS you can find an exception in the Act.

MCL 28.432 list most of the states exemptions.

(1) Section [28.422] does not apply to any of the following:
 (a) A police or correctional agency of the United States or of this state or any subdivision of this state.
 (b) The United States army, air force, navy, or marine corps.
 (c) An organization authorized by law to purchase or receive weapons from the United States or from this state.
 (d) The national guard, armed forces reserves, or other duly authorized military organization.
 (e) A member of an entity or organization described in subdivisions (a) through (d) for a pistol while engaged in the course of his or her duties with that entity or while going to or returning from those duties.
 (f) A United States citizen holding a license to carry a pistol concealed upon his or her person issued by another state.
 (g) The regular and ordinary possession and transportation of a pistol as merchandise by an authorized agent of a person licensed to manufacture firearms or a licensed dealer.
 (h) Purchasing, owning, carrying, possessing, using, or transporting an antique firearm. As used in this subdivision, "antique firearm" means that term as defined in section 231a of the Michigan penal code, 1931 PA 328, MCL 750.231a.
 (i) An individual carrying, possessing, using, or transporting a pistol belonging to another individual, if the other individual's possession of the pistol is authorized by law and the individual carrying, possessing, using, or transporting the pistol has obtained a license under section 5b to carry a concealed pistol or is exempt from licensure as provided in section 12a.

Can you claim an exemption?
Link Posted: 1/18/2020 12:12:15 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
MCL 28.422.....

.... an exemption?
View Quote
Please stop.
Link Posted: 1/18/2020 4:39:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Please stop.
View Quote
You like remaining in ignorance? Is self-delusion a happy place for you?
Link Posted: 1/19/2020 11:34:01 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Please stop.
Link Posted: 1/19/2020 4:11:02 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote
Ok Redcoat.  Does licking boots make you happy?  We have multiple people and organizations, including the Attorney General state that if you have an out of state CPL you don't have to register.  This is besides the fact that the RI-060 is only for tranfsers not manufacturing.

But if you want to register your pistol "to keep everyone safe" or "go above what the law requires" be my guest.  But that sounds like something Tories would do.  And please don't ever drive above the speed limit and make sure to pay extra taxes to keep the King happy.
Link Posted: 1/20/2020 2:18:12 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Please stop.
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/20/2020 10:39:39 AM EDT
[#18]
Has anyone here mailed the registration form off late to the state?  Any blow back on doing that?
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 11:09:15 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
No registration necessary.
I have tons of pistols from when I moved to MI from Oregon. NONE are registered.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What if you move to Michigan with pistols you aquired, purchased, or manufactured prior to establishing residence here? I posted this question here years ago but never got a thought-through response.  Reading through 423.22,  I dont see where regestration is compulsory in this scenario.
I have tons of pistols from when I moved to MI from Oregon. NONE are registered.
Sorry, I'm probably moving to Michigan this summer and have a TX LTC (CPL). I'm a TX resident (military) but will have orders bringing me to MI, making me a MI resident while I'm assigned there. Could you point me to the legal language that I can reference showing that I don't need to register handguns that I already own when I move into the state? I was under the impression that they all had to be registered, especially any that you plan to carry, but maybe I was reading that for people that don't already have a CPL. I'm thoroughly confused by the MI law and don't want to screw this up. Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/23/2020 3:57:46 AM EDT
[#20]
The posting above, at - 1/17/2020 10:09:53 PM-, was done by a lawyer who is taking the time to try and keep impressionable people out of trouble. He quoted the words of current Michigan law. (Also see the original post).

There have always been self-proclaimed "sovereign citizens" (out standing in their field) quite convinced they know better than anyone else, who spout things they prefer to believe. I've seen it for several decades now, they come and go. You will have to use your own judgement on who you choose to believe.
Link Posted: 3/1/2020 7:24:06 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Has anyone here mailed the registration form off late to the state?  Any blow back on doing that?
View Quote
Yes, plenty of times to my local sheriff and never heard a word....
Link Posted: 3/15/2020 9:05:01 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Ok Redcoat.  Does licking boots make you happy?  We have multiple people and organizations, including the Attorney General state that if you have an out of state CPL you don't have to register.  This is besides the fact that the RI-060 is only for tranfsers not manufacturing.

But if you want to register your pistol "to keep everyone safe" or "go above what the law requires" be my guest.  But that sounds like something Tories would do.  And please don't ever drive above the speed limit and make sure to pay extra taxes to keep the King happy.
View Quote
Your out-of-state CPL isn't honored once you permanently move to Michigan. I think 6 months is considered a "resident". Once you become a resident Michigan law becomes operative. The chip on your shoulder has nothing to do with reality, in fact that attitude is what usually forces law enforcement's hand into making a lesson of you.

Every person has the ability to ignore the law. No person can do so with impunity. Encouraging others to ignore Michigan law does them no good and places them in harms way.
Link Posted: 3/15/2020 9:07:13 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote
Because you didn't do it doesn't mean you are legal. The law requires Michigan residents to register their handguns.
Link Posted: 3/16/2020 5:04:29 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Because you didn't do it doesn't mean you are legal. The law requires Michigan residents to register their handguns.
View Quote
This.....
Link Posted: 3/16/2020 9:28:42 AM EDT
[#25]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top