Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/9/2018 9:04:34 PM EDT
Do gas stations in AZ sell winter mix / blend gas, or is it different depending on where it is sold? I am wondering if the refineries mix all of it this time of year because they don't where it is going to be sold. I like the Maverick station near me because they sell the non-ethanol blue gas.
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 9:23:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Beside the ethanol free stations, I've never heard of any fuel being referred to as "winter blend".

Is that just a lower ethanol percentage?
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 9:28:50 PM EDT
[#2]
https://newsroom.aaa.com/2013/06/what-is-the-difference-between-summer-and-winter-blend-gasoline/

Winter gas is more volatile and evaporates more quickly, so it is ideal for it is used in the colder air of winter. In terms of gas mileage, you get better mileage on summer blends than winter blends because the summer blend gasoline has about 2% greater energy value than winter blend
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 9:36:07 PM EDT
[#3]
I think I might have found my own answer:

Unique Gasoline Blends

The Phoenix metropolitan area, including Maricopa County and parts of Pinal and Yavapai Counties, is required to use special gasoline blends during the winter and summer to meet federal air quality standards. Tucson also uses a special blend during the winter months. The rest of Arizona, outside the metropolitan Tucson and Phoenix areas, uses conventional gasoline year round.

Arizona’s special blends are credited with improving air quality in the Phoenix and Tucson metropolitan areas. Industry analysts and refiners, however, claim these unique blends are expensive to produce, in part because expensive blend stocks and sophisticated equipment are necessary to produce the specialized blends and the number of refineries that produce them is limited.
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 10:50:56 PM EDT
[#4]
There is a winter blend at the maverick in Payson.
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 12:18:12 AM EDT
[#5]
The winter blend is supposed to help get rid of the lingering cloud in the valley during winter months.

I don't drive any of my vehicles enough to notice 2% one way or the other.  I probably wouldn't notice 10% either.  I do mostly in town driving, at about 60 miles a week. A tank of gas in my Civic could last a month...
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 1:22:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The winter blend is supposed to help get rid of the lingering cloud in the valley during winter months.
View Quote
Interesting

Years ago someone that worked at ADEQ told me the cloud was due to particulates comprised mainly of tire rubber from our vehicles on the roads/highways.

Wonder if if we will ever know the true reason.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top