Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/14/2020 12:09:18 AM EDT
What do you have to do when you chop a pickup truck and turn it into a trailer? Will dmv just issue me a trailer plate or do I have to jump through hoops?

Reason I'm wanting to get the trailer plate is I'd still need insurance if I kept the regular plates on it.
Link Posted: 9/14/2020 2:36:37 PM EDT
[#1]
If it’s a single axle trailer in Oregon, you aren’t required to have a license on it nor insurance.  Unlike our neighbors to the north in Washington.
Link Posted: 9/14/2020 5:57:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If it’s a single axle trailer in Oregon, you aren’t required to have a license on it nor insurance.  Unlike our neighbors to the north in Washington.
View Quote

Can you show me where it says that in the regulations? I'm under the impression that only trailers under 1800lbs are exempt.
@mpmax
In my search I've seen other people on other forums say the same thing you said, but I've read the regs and I'm seeing 1800lbs.
Link Posted: 9/15/2020 8:16:29 AM EDT
[#3]
“With a load weight of 1800 lbs.”.
I’ve never seen a trailer in the state of Oregon with a single axle with a license plate.

You’re making a single axle trailer out of a pickup bed?  If you’re going to haul a ton in it, you need a bigger trailer.
Unless I’m misunderstanding your plan.
Link Posted: 9/16/2020 2:04:40 AM EDT
[#4]
It's a 1 ton dually with a box van body. I think it says "loaded weight". I think the trailer weighs over 1800 empty.
Link Posted: 9/16/2020 7:25:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It's a 1 ton dually with a box van body. I think it says "loaded weight". I think the trailer weighs over 1800 empty.
View Quote

Well that adds a level of difficulty.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top