Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/21/2023 7:09:14 PM EDT
I noticed there was a public meeting about killing off the Meridian, ID library system.

Anyone know what's up with that?

From what I gather, a group “Concerned Citizens of Meridian” saw the kiddos had unlimited exposure to "adult" and groomy/gay material. From there, if I understand correctly, some people asked the library trustees to stop heavily promoting it, or take it off the shelves completely, make it less accessible to minors by segregating it, or at least just label it as sexually explicit like R rated movies are, etc.

"It claims the MLD has refused to provide financial transparency, shut down public discourse at meetings, refused to discuss minors "access to obscene and sexually explicit materials." It also claims the MLD refused to communicate with speakers at board meetings, have allowed minors to obtain material targeted towards sexualization, that the MLD "continues to provide facilities for sexual indoctrination of minors by the Queer Straight Alliance" and that the board has a member who "supports chemical and surgical castration of minors.' The petition is also asking for a decrease in trustee terms to three years instead of six years and to "segregate" explicit material."

They claim the Library board and Director refused to dialogue about it, give only stonewall first-amendment answers, and say parents need to watch their own kids and such.

So, shut out of debate by the board, the group starts movement to nuke library from orbit, killing off the whole system, so they can start over with a new library system with a new leadership and new rules. Apparently, the directors are elected for like a six year term, and they can't be voted out for quite some time.

I'm not familiar with the case, but it seems like some good people need to run for library director, vote the creepers out, and not necessarily kill the whole thing with fire, but... is there another element of this that prevents that solution?

What I do know is that the wrap-themselves-in-the-Bill-of-Rights Meridian Library District says about their 3D printers and other fabrication tools ("The public will not be permitted to use the Library’s fabrication technology to create material that is: "Unsafe, harmful, dangerous or poses an immediate threat to the well-being of others including firearms, firearm parts or other deadly weapons." They can't even hide behind some law, as firearm parts and accessories aren't ATF-regulated, and Idaho has passed anti-federal versions of a "firearms freedom" act and Eagle, Nampa, and Star are 2A sanctuary cities (I think there's MLD libraries in some of those cities, not sure about Nampa.) (*Idaho's Senate Bill 1332 and HB69 from 2014, which declared certain gun control to be unconstitutional, making it unlawful for any state assets to go toward the enforcement of federal gun laws, sort of de facto nullification, that sort of thing.)

Eh, when the same library system that likes the 1A so much isn't so cool on the 2A, going out of their way to make up new rules to censor things the board arbitrarily doesn't like... it smells fishy and does bring into question what sort of folks comprise the system there.

Side note: One of the groups that showed up to testify was "Gays Against Groomers" which was interestingly dissonant.  :)

Some cold links: https://www.ktvb.com/article/news/local/local-ada-co-hears-arguments-regarding-possible-dissolution-of-meridian-library-district/277-105b882b-b66a-4f93-b30f-a08012181284

https://idahonews.com/news/local/hundreds-show-up-to-meridian-library-district-hearing
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 8:24:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Ya it’s a shit show. Lefturds have figured out that the best way to kill off conservative values and beliefs is to target the public education system and along with it, public libraries. I don’t blame this group for identifying what these deviants are trying to do.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top