Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/20/2022 10:41:28 PM EDT
Spent quite a bit of time following Tim Anderson a couple years back as many Virginians did.

Got this email yesterday in regards to him not co-sponsoring this bell that he supposedly supported prior to the election.

Anyone have insight if this is legit?

Link Posted: 1/20/2022 10:47:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Video where he reportedly said that a red flag law is ok if a court hearing on competency is quick.

Tim Anderson approves of "short-term" red flag gun confiscation.

Link Posted: 1/21/2022 2:50:50 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/25/2022 8:10:10 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Let's not get ahead of ourselves.

Virginia Constitutional Conservatives (VCC) surveyed Anderson and asked if he would introduced Red Flag.  He said yes.

Anderson introduced a crap load of gun bills, but didn’t introduce that bill.

HOWEVER, Marie March introduced it.

VCC thinks that makes Anderson a liar.

The bill is in.  

We don’t NEED two of the same bill.  

We need Anderson to vote FOR March’s bill.

I think they are needlessly attacking Anderson over what is really a non-issue.

View Quote

This is exactly how I see it.  I met with him for the Saslaw recall and have followed him ever since.  It makes no sense that he would support this.
Link Posted: 1/25/2022 1:59:07 PM EDT
[#4]
The old ARFcom "mah candidate isn't pure enough" crap rears its head again.  Anderson has sponsored a large amount of pro-gun bills.  The Red Flag repeal law has already been sponsored by another delegate.  As long as Anderson and all the other delegates who say they are pro-gun vote accordingly, there won't be an issue.

We are so prone to circular firing squad syndrome sometimes.
Link Posted: 1/25/2022 2:45:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
The old ARFcom "mah candidate isn't pure enough" crap rears its head again.  Anderson has sponsored a large amount of pro-gun bills.  The Red Flag repeal law has already been sponsored by another delegate.  As long as Anderson and all the other delegates who say they are pro-gun vote accordingly, there won't be an issue.

We are so prone to circular firing squad syndrome sometimes.
View Quote

He came out swinging with pro gun bills.  The lack of being a driving force behind Red Flag repeal (which frankly has less than zero chance of making it out of the senate, assuming it makes it out of the house) may be disappointing, but really is not a big deal.  

None of these folks are going to be 100% perfect, and he's a heck of a lot better than the rep he replaced.
Link Posted: 1/26/2022 8:07:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Let's not get ahead of ourselves.

Virginia Constitutional Conservatives (VCC) surveyed Anderson and asked if he would introduced Red Flag.  He said yes.

Anderson introduced a crap load of gun bills, but didn’t introduce that bill.

HOWEVER, Marie March introduced it.

VCC thinks that makes Anderson a liar.

The bill is in.  

We don’t NEED two of the same bill.  

We need Anderson to vote FOR March’s bill.

I think they are needlessly attacking Anderson over what is really a non-issue.

View Quote

Incorrect - we (VCC) asked Anderson to sign on as a co-patron to March's bill  last week and he refused to sign on even though he had committed to sponsoring red flag repeal in his signed VCC survey.

It is not clear why he initially tried to back out - possibly because the Speaker does not want to pass Red Flag repeal (this is speculation - Gilbert has parked it in the Rules committee that has no scheduled meetings).

In any event Tim Anderson saw the light and decided to co-sponsor the bill and we are moving forward on same page.

The real question is - does the Republican leadership really want to repeal the red flag law?

Link Posted: 1/26/2022 8:13:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

He came out swinging with pro gun bills.  The lack of being a driving force behind Red Flag repeal (which frankly has less than zero chance of making it out of the senate, assuming it makes it out of the house) may be disappointing, but really is not a big deal.  

View Quote

Disagree - there are Dems who disagree with the Red Flag law on procedural grounds.  In theory we could flip one Dem and have Lt. Gov Winsome Sears be the tie breaking winning vote.

In any event it is good to get VOTES as it shows voters which incumbents need to be challenged in a primary.  Many incumbents are nervous this year as they have been thrown into new districts - sometimes with two in same district.  This is a great time to get them on record.  

The worst thing the Republicans can do is to sit on pro-gun bills - that has been their MO in past years.

Getting them to take action is not easy.  On positive side there have been a lot of good bills introduced (including some by Tim Anderson).  There is also a bill that would allow 22 centerfire cartridges to be legally  used for deer hunting.

Link Posted: 1/26/2022 8:44:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Disagree - there are Dems who disagree with the Red Flag law on procedural grounds.  In theory we could flip one Dem and have Lt. Gov Winsome Sears be the tie breaking winning vote.

In any event it is good to get VOTES as it shows voters which incumbents need to be challenged in a primary.  Many incumbents are nervous this year as they have been thrown into new districts - sometimes with two in same district.  This is a great time to get them on record.  

The worst thing the Republicans can do is to sit on pro-gun bills - that has been their MO in past years.

Getting them to take action is not easy.  On positive side there have been a lot of good bills introduced (including some by Tim Anderson).  There is also a bill that would allow 22 centerfire cartridges to be legally  used for deer hunting.

View Quote

Are any of those dems on the committee that will kill the bill?  Presuming it’s the same committee that passed RFL out?  
Link Posted: 1/27/2022 12:11:16 AM EDT
[#9]
The real question is - does the Republican leadership really want to repeal the red flag law?
View Quote

I'm going to say NO.
Link Posted: 1/27/2022 8:49:51 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I'm going to say NO.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I'm going to say NO.

Yep. In General the RPV is not pro 2A in a true sense. Also, they saw Youngkin's victory at the hands of Suburban Karen's. Karen's love them some UBC's and Red Flags. Those laws aren't going anywhere.
Link Posted: 1/27/2022 10:44:15 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Yep. In General the RPV is not pro 2A in a true sense. Also, they saw Youngkin's victory at the hands of Suburban Karen's. Karen's love them some UBC's and Red Flags. Those laws aren't going anywhere.
View Quote

That about sums it up.  

Many years ago, I think when McDonnell was still gov and the R's held both chambers, I had a conversation with a long term member of the house about some rather innocuous pro-gun legislation.  He thought it was going to die because in his opinion (and I'm paraphrasing) "the General Assembly hates guns."  Granted, there's been a lot of change since then, but folks like Tommy Norment are still loud voices in the party, and they're only our friends out of political expedience.
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 8:47:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

That about sums it up.  

Many years ago, I think when McDonnell was still gov and the R's held both chambers, I had a conversation with a long term member of the house about some rather innocuous pro-gun legislation.  He thought it was going to die because in his opinion (and I'm paraphrasing) "the General Assembly hates guns."  Granted, there's been a lot of change since then, but folks like Tommy Norment are still loud voices in the party, and they're only our friends out of political expedience.
View Quote

Yup - Norment is part of the problem.

I've teamed up with VCC to push Red Flag Repeal - we plan to be very aggressive in exposing do-nothing Republicans.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top