Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/20/2021 6:31:04 PM EDT
Hey y’all need some help deciding when to head down. Have family in Daytona and am usually there twice a year usually mid February to mid March and then again in the fall.

We are used to cool water in Daytona but it’s actually not all that bad by end of February. I think the water temp is usually 60s or very low 70s. And we are usually just fine no wet suits needed.

Done with that area and are going to focus on the 30A to Navarre area as our new vacation / future retirement spot. Are we going to be okay heading down sometime in March or do I need to wait until much much later.

If need be we can just thaw out to Sanibel or Anna Maria which is what we normally do when it’s really cold. We are just really wanting to get to know the Panhandle. Is it doable in March/April or do we need to wait till summer?

When and where is the best area for that crystal clear water and better experience?

Anywhere from Opal beach to near Panama City. Thank you in advance and you can always DM if wanted.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 4:23:37 PM EDT
[#1]
If it helps I’m NOT A YANKEE. My entire family lives in the Daytona area and has for some time and I pretty much grew up down there.

Only stay living up here because of cheap living and better paying jobs (ag industry management) and it’s very safe for my children.

Every year that passes I’m more and more ready to be where I belong. I will also be bringing even more very conservative votes.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 5:53:06 PM EDT
[#2]
My family has a house on 30A at Seacrest Beach.  Weather there is pretty mild (below 80) until June.  Beautiful place without all the riff raff you run into at PCB or Destin.  

20 years ago the area was a hidden gem, but now the secret is out and you see the blue 30A stickers on vehicles all over the Southeast.  

Link Posted: 2/21/2021 10:43:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Yeah unfortunately a lot of Florida’s amazing hidden secrets have been let out the last 5-10 years it seems.

Those are my kind of places. Nice, quiet, safe, no drama.

Link Posted: 2/22/2021 11:24:39 PM EDT
[#4]
I live in Destin.  The 50 mile stretch between 30A and Navarre includes a dozen or so little communities each with a different, in some cases completely different, vibe.  What suits you best will depend on what you value, budget, favorite activities, ect.  i.e. living in Watercolor is a wholly different experience from living in a condo in Crystal Beach or a house in Fort Walton Beach.  Best bet is to spend a few weeks here and stay in different areas.  IM me if you want feedback on any specific areas.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 5:39:33 PM EDT
[#5]
I do plan to travel the entire area and check it out more in depth.

I wouldn’t be wanting to live on the coast I would be quite a bit inland as we would like an acreage with land.

Mostly concerned with water temps and beach conditions for right now as I plan on taking the family down for a vacation and to check things out.

I’m wondering if I go towards the end of March if it will still be too cold.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 11:39:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Ok got ya, yes living inland will be a whole different experience.  With respect to your upcoming vacation, if you’re going to be in the water a lot March is too early to come down and I’d defer until early May.  June is the busiest month with July and Aug nearly the same.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 11:47:04 PM EDT
[#7]
OP, check historical weather info.  Should find sea temps, if that's what you're looking for.  That'll give you info on air temps for the period you want to visit too.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 7:38:30 AM EDT
[#8]
I have been checking data and like the poster above said I have a feeling we would have to wait until April or may until it’s more comfortable.
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 11:29:17 AM EDT
[#9]
68 is the magic water temp for Cobia. They don’t really stray showing up until mid March, but even then in small numbers.  By mid April it’s on fire.

In other words, water is chilly until May. (Chilly for me anyways, I’m an 80 degree guy)

The crystal clear water depends on wind direction.  The pics you see of flat calm, clear as a glass of tapwater are all taken after several days of a north wind during the fall/winter.  It’s probably rough as hell offshore at the same time, you just don’t see it in the pictures.  Water is still beautiful most of the year but if y’all show up after 3 days of 15kts from the south east, it’s going to be a bit stirred up.  March/April can be a bit foggy in the AM.  Todays water temp is about 64, air is currently 69 at my house. It’s a bit foggy but it will likely burn off by noon.

I live on 30A, let me know if you have any other questions.
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 4:18:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Redfish86- Thank you that was a very informative post. We can deal with water from 68-72 degrees as that is what we are used to at Daytona Maybe even less as we are usually there mid February to mid March.

Going to try to avoid crowds and drama. Looking heavily at Grayton / Santa Rosa.
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 6:42:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Really like the Opa beach area too. Way out in the middle of nowhere surrounded by only sand dunes and the water quality looks just as good.

Hmm going to have to think hard on that one.
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 10:33:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Redfish86- Thank you that was a very informative post. We can deal with water from 68-72 degrees as that is what we are used to at Daytona Maybe even less as we are usually there mid February to mid March.

Going to try to avoid crowds and drama. Looking heavily at Grayton / Santa Rosa.
View Quote

Grayton is fun!  We have a permit to drive on the beach so it’s pretty easy for us to cruise down there, drop the taigate, and open a beer.  All in about 60 seconds.  

30A is pretty unique.  We have these coastal dune lakes which only exist in a few places on earth. They periodically break through the beach so saltwater gets in to mix with the tannic freshwater runoff from the rains. The different little communities are unique and fun to explore.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top