Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/19/2021 9:30:53 AM EDT
Desecration

Know what it means?

Monday morning, I'm going to work in Enfield and across Fermi High school there is a site underway. There is equipment striping the topsoil and a work trailer in place. Driving by there is a flag pole with the USA flag flying upside down. Totally screeched my tires and almost broke my transmission going into reverse. There is a guy filing a machine with gas and I asked him why is the flag upside down. He said "there fixing it right now". Seem to be the only guy there but who knows. I called the Enfield Police, which is a 1/2 mile away. They said they send someone over asap.

HOW CAN YOU FUCK UP HANGING A FLAG?

That is the definition of Desecration.

I love this country but am disliking people more and more.
Link Posted: 7/19/2021 11:11:31 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Desecration

Know what it means?

Monday morning, I'm going to work in Enfield and across Fermi High school there is a site underway. There is equipment striping the topsoil and a work trailer in place. Driving by there is a flag pole with the USA flag flying upside down. Totally screeched my tires and almost broke my transmission going into reverse. There is a guy filing a machine with gas and I asked him why is the flag upside down. He said "there fixing it right now". Seem to be the only guy there but who knows. I called the Enfield Police, which is a 1/2 mile away. They said they send someone over asap.

View Quote

The flag being flown upside down was a sign that things are not right in America. It’s been done before and it’s been done historically.
Link Posted: 7/19/2021 11:14:36 AM EDT
[#2]
I mean, it's free speech on the part of the business if they want to do it.

Not sure it's worth calling the cops over...
Link Posted: 7/19/2021 12:24:29 PM EDT
[#3]
"Not sure it's worth calling the cops over..."

Well I do, seeing it does not seem anyone else cares.

I served my country, If you did you would care as much as me.
Link Posted: 7/19/2021 2:40:41 PM EDT
[#4]
My dad flew his flag upside down for like most of the Obama administration.
Link Posted: 7/19/2021 3:26:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My dad flew his flag upside down for like most of the Obama administration.
View Quote

It’s a symbol of protest- free speech and all!

Modrapos, you should move this to GD! It will prove worthy of several bans, timeouts and a lock. Hilarity will ensue
Link Posted: 7/19/2021 4:53:43 PM EDT
[#6]
I agree with nutter
Link Posted: 7/19/2021 5:28:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Modrapos, you should move this to GD! It will prove worthy of several bans, timeouts and a lock. Hilarity will ensue
View Quote

This ^^^

Would be fun to watch the hilarity that would commence. Make sure to include some MS Paint type drawing too.

But seriously though, while hanging a flag upside down is generally considered a sign of distress, some do it as a protest. Be it the current occupant of 1600 Penn Ave in DC or for some other reason (like these days, BLM, Antifa, etc). Do understand why it would piss some off, particularly and rightly so if the flag pole was on town/city property.
Link Posted: 7/19/2021 8:46:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

I did. For almost a decade, as a matter of fact. Thank you for your service and your very intense patriotism. Do you also have a sign out front telling people not to shoot off fireworks around your house? You're acting like a Karen. Don't be a Karen.

Concur with nutter.
Link Posted: 7/19/2021 9:22:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Was the flag made in China?  If so I don't care if someone pisses on it and burns it.

Link Posted: 7/19/2021 11:10:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Op
Nothing good will come from this! I suggest a link close and a delete . It’s up to you how you want to go but again… nothing good will come from this!
Link Posted: 7/19/2021 11:40:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 7/19/2021 11:43:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 7/20/2021 5:43:30 AM EDT
[#13]
I hope you called the non emergency line.  

If anything, corrective action should have been to either instruct in the proper displaying of the flag, or do it yourself.   Maybe some knife hands for effect.  

I would suggest you not drive down hazard ave.  There is a business flying a a flag higher then US flag.

Quoted:
Desecration

Know what it means?

View Quote
Link Posted: 7/20/2021 6:01:42 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
There is a business flying a flag higher then US flag.
View Quote

Seen that from time to time in my travels. Also seen flags at half mast when there isn't a "declared" reason. Nothing like seeing the local fire department's flag at full mast and the USPS office next door have theirs at half mast. Sometimes people are just lazy and or don't know better. Some simply don't know the flag flying etiquette. Many years ago use to see one home that had the POW and US flag reversed for ages before it was corrected. Then of course there is the flag on all manor of clothing and other items.

The current reality is, even though it angers many, the flag is a political symbol and can be desecrated under one's first amendment rights. (SCOTUS case)
Link Posted: 7/20/2021 6:44:27 AM EDT
[#15]
I lived in that area for over 40 years.  The Desecration you are calling out should be aimed at the destruction of yet another gorgeous piece of agricultural land that is being stripped of the topsoil and haveing some gawd-awful flat building erected in its place along with the requisite amount of asphalt parking lots and white parking stripes.  For all the years we were there and at least 100 before that the crop rotation was enormous ranging from corn to shade and broadleaf tobacco to squash, etc., etc.  The land there was fertile and flat and easy to manage.  Too bad the owner decided to abandon it and continue the march to industrialize Hazardville.  This is one of the reasons we escaped last year and moved to very rural Maine where we have once again fallen in love with our surroundings.  There is some of that "progress" up here but the pace is that of a snail and I'll be long gone before if ever reaches us.

Link Posted: 7/21/2021 3:54:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Unfortunately it will also attract GD gnats to the CT forum as has happened in the past.  We don't want that because many of them are sissies and can't take what we are capable of dishing out.
View Quote
They should witness the power of a fully operational Hometown Forum
Link Posted: 7/22/2021 10:45:43 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

The flag being flown upside down was a sign that things are not right in America. It’s been done before and it’s been done historically.
View Quote

This!
Link Posted: 7/25/2021 7:16:11 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I lived in that area for over 40 years.  The Desecration you are calling out should be aimed at the destruction of yet another gorgeous piece of agricultural land that is being stripped of the topsoil and haveing some gawd-awful flat building erected in its place along with the requisite amount of asphalt parking lots and white parking stripes.  For all the years we were there and at least 100 before that the crop rotation was enormous ranging from corn to shade and broadleaf tobacco to squash, etc., etc.  The land there was fertile and flat and easy to manage.  Too bad the owner decided to abandon it and continue the march to industrialize Hazardville.  This is one of the reasons we escaped last year and moved to very rural Maine where we have once again fallen in love with our surroundings.  There is some of that "progress" up here but the pace is that of a snail and I'll be long gone before if ever reaches us.

View Quote

Think I did something like that in Berlin. They took homes by eminent domain and built a giant building for I think Pfizer.  Once the 10 year tax breaks ran out they left and now it's just a wasteland like Chernobyl
Link Posted: 7/31/2021 9:37:38 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
"Not sure it's worth calling the cops over..."

Well I do, seeing it does not seem anyone else cares.

View Quote

So your service cancels the first amendment? LMAOOOOO!!!!
Link Posted: 7/31/2021 12:40:34 PM EDT
[#20]
https://www.govinfo.gov/content/pkg/USCODE-1996-title36/html/USCODE-1996-title36-chap10-sec176.htm#:~:text=%C2%A7176.,to%20any%20person%20or%20thing.&text=(a)%20The%20flag%20should%20never,danger%20to%20life%20or%20property.

36 U.S.C.
United States Code, 1996 Edition
Title 36 - PATRIOTIC SOCIETIES AND OBSERVANCES
CHAPTER 10 - PATRIOTIC CUSTOMS
Sec. 176 - Respect for flag
From the U.S. Government Publishing Office, www.gpo.gov

§176. Respect for flag
No disrespect should be shown to the flag of the United States of America; the flag should not be dipped to any person or thing. Regimental colors, State flags, and organization or institutional flags are to be dipped as a mark of honor.

(a) The flag should never be displayed with the union down, except as a signal of dire distress in instances of extreme danger to life or property.
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 7:53:56 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
https://www.govinfo.gov/content/pkg/USCODE-1996-title36/html/USCODE-1996-title36-chap10-sec176.htm#:~:text=%C2%A7176.,to%20any%20person%20or%20thing.&text=(a)%20The%20flag%20should%20never,danger%20to%20life%20or%20property.

36 U.S.C.
United States Code, 1996 Edition
Title 36 - PATRIOTIC SOCIETIES AND OBSERVANCES
CHAPTER 10 - PATRIOTIC CUSTOMS
Sec. 176 - Respect for flag
From the U.S. Government Publishing Office, www.gpo.gov

§176. Respect for flag
No disrespect should be shown to the flag of the United States of America; the flag should not be dipped to any person or thing. Regimental colors, State flags, and organization or institutional flags are to be dipped as a mark of honor.

(a) The flag should never be displayed with the union down, except as a signal of dire distress in instances of extreme danger to life or property.
View Quote

So, you get your how to protest info from the government? Ok then….
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 5:59:07 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Think I did something like that in Berlin. They took homes by eminent domain and built a giant building for I think Pfizer.  Once the 10 year tax breaks ran out they left and now it's just a wasteland like Chernobyl
View Quote

New London took houses by eminent domain by Fort Trumbull for commercial development.  It went all the way to the Supreme Court.   The houses were demolished and the area is still vacant.
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 9:09:28 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

Lets go ahead and post the whole thing for context.
§176. Respect for flag

(b) The flag should never touch anything beneath it, such as the ground, the floor, water, or merchandise.

(c) The flag should never be carried flat or horizontally, but always aloft and free.

(d) The flag should never be used as wearing apparel, bedding, or drapery. It should never be festooned, drawn back, nor up, in folds, but always allowed to fall free. Bunting of blue, white, and red, always arranged with the blue above, the white in the middle, and the red below, should be used for covering a speaker's desk, draping the front of the platform, and for decoration in general.

(e) The flag should never be fastened, displayed, used, or stored in such a manner as to permit it to be easily torn, soiled, or damaged in any way.

(f) The flag should never be used as a covering for a ceiling.

(g) The flag should never have placed upon it, nor on any part of it, nor attached to it any mark, insignia, letter, word, figure, design, picture, or drawing of any nature.

(h) The flag should never be used as a receptacle for receiving, holding, carrying, or delivering anything.

(i) The flag should never be used for advertising purposes in any manner whatsoever. It should not be embroidered on such articles as cushions or handkerchiefs and the like, printed or otherwise impressed on paper napkins or boxes or anything that is designed for temporary use and discard. Advertising signs should not be fastened to a staff or halyard from which the flag is flown.

(j) No part of the flag should ever be used as a costume or athletic uniform. However, a flag patch may be affixed to the uniform of military personnel, firemen, policemen, and members of patriotic organizations. The flag represents a living country and is itself considered a living thing. Therefore, the lapel flag pin being a replica, should be worn on the left lapel near the heart.

(k) The flag, when it is in such condition that it is no longer a fitting emblem for display, should be destroyed in a dignified way, preferably by burning.

There are a whole lot of things in there that people are not "supposed" to do with the flag beyond displaying it upside-down. Most don't get outraged over the other things mentioned in there. Burning it or hanging it upside down seem to the two that trigger most. Some (most?) courts will likely, if it hasn't been done so already, extend the Texas v. Johnson opinion to cover hanging the flag upside down as a form of first amendment protest.

Facts and Case Summary - Texas v. Johnson

Facts
Gregory Lee Johnson burned an American flag outside of the convention center where the 1984 Republican National Convention was being held in Dallas, Texas. Johnson burned the flag to protest the policies of President Ronald Reagan. He was arrested and charged with violating a Texas statute that prevented the desecration of a venerated object, including the American flag, if such action were likely to incite anger in others. A Texas court tried and convicted Johnson. He appealed, arguing that his actions were "symbolic speech" protected by the First Amendment. The Supreme Court agreed to hear his case.

Issue
Whether flag burning constitutes "symbolic speech" protected by the First Amendment.

Ruling
Yes.

Reasoning
(5-4)
The majority of the Court, according to Justice William Brennan, agreed with Johnson and held that flag burning constitutes a form of "symbolic speech" that is protected by the First Amendment. The majority noted that freedom of speech protects actions that society may find very offensive, but society's outrage alone is not justification for suppressing free speech.

In particular, the majority noted that the Texas law discriminated upon viewpoint, i.e., although the law punished actions, such as flag burning, that might arouse anger in others, it specifically exempted from prosecution actions that were respectful of venerated objects, e.g., burning and burying a worn-out flag. The majority said that the government could not discriminate in this manner based solely upon viewpoint.

Dissent
Justice Stevens
Writing for the dissent, Justice Stevens argued that the flag's unique status as a symbol of national unity outweighed "symbolic speech" concerns, and thus, the government could lawfully prohibit flag burning.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top