Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Site Notices
Posted: 3/31/2019 11:49:21 AM EDT
I emailed my contact at ODNR and they said work was to resume on the range reconstruction this spring. The Range is expected to re-open in the Spring or early Summer 2020. I will take a ride up there in May or June to take a look.
Link Posted: 3/31/2019 4:01:40 PM EDT
[#1]
I live 5 minutes away and drive by it once a week just to see if anything has happened.
Link Posted: 3/31/2019 6:42:59 PM EDT
[#2]
BTW, if you have an ODNR annual range pass you can shoot at The Cardinal Shooting Center pistol range one hour free per visit.  After an hour they charge I think $10/hr, check their site for full rules/limitations, etc.  It's a very nice outdoor pistol range even if a bit Fudd.  You can also shoot .22lr rifles on the pistol range, no other rifle calibers allowed.
Link Posted: 4/1/2019 9:51:59 AM EDT
[#3]
@lvcipriani

I shot at Cardinal 2 weeks ago now and it wasn't too bad.  Granted I was one of 4 people on the pistol range at the time.  The safety officers were ok & just stayed by the burn barrel (it was like 35 out that morning).  They had no issues with me rapid firing a glock happy stick off.  The only catch was they want you in the middle of the range when shooting at the steel bc i was told "if you shoot at at angle the round might bounce off the targets & go through the wall".  The wall is 8" solid poured concrete......

Overall good place to shoot I thought.  Much better than any of the indoor ranges.
Link Posted: 4/15/2019 10:03:49 AM EDT
[#4]
Work Beginning at Delaware Shooting Range

4/10/2019 Division of Wildlife
Work Beginning at Delaware Shooting Range
Delaware Range will likely reopen by fall of 2020

COLUMBUS, OH – Work has begun for the complete renovation of the Delaware Shooting Range and should be completed by the end of 2020, according to the Ohio Department of Natural Resources (ODNR) Division of Wildlife. Contractors have been doing site preparation so environmental remediation efforts can begin this spring.

The Division of Wildlife is working within the framework approved by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, which owns the property where the range is located. Once the environmental remediation work has been completed, the Division of Wildlife plans to begin upgrades to the range this summer.
The new multi-million-dollar range will include:
•Four clay-target hand trap fields
•30 shooting positions at 100-yard range
•24 positions at 25-yard range
•36 positions at 50-foot pistol range
•20 positions at the 90-meter archery range
•14 position 3-D archery walkthrough course with elevated shooting positions
•Restrooms

•New education and training center featuring an indoor archery range and classroom.

“While the Delaware range is closed, please visit one of the other public shooting ranges,” said Korey Brown, Wildlife District One Supervisor. “To help fill the shooting void that was created by the temporary closure of the Delaware Shooting Range, the Cardinal Shooting Center will honor the Division of Wildlife’s one-day and annual shooting range permits for one hour, Thursday through Sunday, from 9 a.m. until dusk.”

A class “A” range requires a shooting range permit for all persons 18 years or older. Permits are available at all hunting and fishing license outlets and online at wildohio.gov.

For additional notifications and shooting opportunities visit: wildohio.gov/ranges. For questions about the Delaware Shooting Range, call the Wildlife District One office at: 614-644-3925.

The Division of Wildlife is committed to providing safe and quality shooting opportunities for Ohioans while remaining good stewards of the environment.

Funding for these ranges comes from the sale of hunting licenses and through the Federal Wildlife Restoration Act. Excise taxes are collected from the sale of firearms and ammunitions and are returned to Ohio for wildlife management and shooting range projects.
The mission of the Division of Wildlife is to conserve and improve fish and wildlife resources and their habitats for sustainable use and appreciation by all. Visit wildohio.gov to find out more.
Link Posted: 4/17/2019 10:42:09 PM EDT
[#5]
With 90 firearm shooting positions, I just wonder if they will have multiple range employees or some kind of cease-fire signalizing device.
Link Posted: 4/29/2019 6:21:58 PM EDT
[#6]
There are survey stakes in the ground and they've knocked down a few trees.
Link Posted: 5/11/2019 10:22:33 AM EDT
[#7]
I grew up in Powell and I took my first shots at the Delaware Range.  We thought the last upgrades back in the 90s by the inmate work detail were pretty good then.  This new set up sounds awesome.

I'm glad you guys have this place to shoot but the situation for shooting spots in Ohio was a big reason I've stayed out west.
Link Posted: 5/27/2019 2:40:28 PM EDT
[#8]
I took this photo today. The guys at Norton gun shop said some trees have been removed. Hope progress speeds up.

Link Posted: 5/27/2019 3:45:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Nothing has been done since I posted at the end of april.
Link Posted: 7/22/2019 5:51:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Rode by July 21st. The tubular gate was wide open. There were a couple pieces of machinery down in the range area. Nothing to see here.
Link Posted: 7/24/2019 5:35:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Rode by July 21st. The tubular gate was wide open. There were a couple pieces of machinery down in the range area. Nothing to see here.
View Quote
It looks like the might be moving dirt way towards the back.  It's hard to see.
Link Posted: 7/24/2019 5:44:02 PM EDT
[#12]
I wonder if they're still using these plans

Link Posted: 7/24/2019 9:50:53 PM EDT
[#13]
I am retiring this summer so I am counting on the range being open next year. I will have a ton of time to go shooting.
Link Posted: 8/25/2019 4:49:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Update 8/25

Some earth has definitely been moved around. I might try to get the Project schedule from the State.
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 9:30:38 AM EDT
[#15]
I drove by there last week and there is activity to the east of the parking lot, clear cutting in what I think will be the shotgun fields. Easy to miss seeing it as one drives by.
Link Posted: 8/27/2019 8:35:46 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I drove by there last week and there is activity to the east of the parking lot, clear cutting in what I think will be the shotgun fields. Easy to miss seeing it as one drives by.
View Quote
There was heavy equipment there on Sunday, looks like they have started to remove the old berms.   I wonder what they'll do with all the lead.....
Link Posted: 9/29/2019 3:03:14 PM EDT
[#17]
Substantial progress on moving earth. New gravel driveway on the east side of the property.

Link Posted: 1/7/2020 4:22:10 PM EDT
[#18]
Construction started on the Range Building at the main driveway.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/24/2020 5:27:22 PM EDT
[#19]
Update 3/24

2 buildings under construction. There is a smaller building further into the property. The old range is totally flooded today.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/25/2020 6:39:15 AM EDT
[#20]
Lets hope they learn from the Spring Valley range fiasco and make the berms tall enough the first time around.
Link Posted: 3/25/2020 9:21:10 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Lets hope they learn from the Spring Valley range fiasco and make the berms tall enough the first time around.
View Quote
Yeah really.  What a clusterfuck that has turned into.
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 5:11:05 PM EDT
[#22]
Update 5/24

Main facility building, covered pistol range and a building on the east side of the property.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 9:10:05 PM EDT
[#23]
@hkusp

Thanks for the updates!
Link Posted: 6/6/2020 5:09:14 AM EDT
[#24]
Wish they would would allow Full Auto there.
Range officer is always raining on my parade though.
Link Posted: 6/9/2020 1:02:29 AM EDT
[#25]
Latest on the ODNR website:

"May 17, 2020

The Delaware Wildlife Area Shooting Range is closed for renovations, but should be completed by the end of 2020. The nearby Cardinal Shooting Center will be honoring shooting range permits for one hour, Thursday-Sunday."

https://ohiodnr.gov/wps/portal/gov/odnr-core/divisions/wildlife/related-resource/shooting-ranges
Link Posted: 6/9/2020 7:34:16 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Latest on the ODNR website:

"May 17, 2020

The Delaware Wildlife Area Shooting Range is closed for renovations, but should be completed by the end of 2020. The nearby Cardinal Shooting Center will be honoring shooting range permits for one hour, Thursday-Sunday."

https://ohiodnr.gov/wps/portal/gov/odnr-core/divisions/wildlife/related-resource/shooting-ranges
View Quote

"should".  I've been waiting for it to open since I moved to Delaware....
Link Posted: 6/20/2020 10:00:20 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

"should".  I've been waiting for it to open since I moved to Delaware....
View Quote

I've been waiting on this for a long, long time.. living in Lewis Center for last 15 years. Really want this to work out, as it's fairly close. I had a chance to shoot at the old location a few times before it closed.

For now, it's BWSC for indoor, Briar Rabbit for the real fun. But damn the trip to BR is a cruise!

Edit: @hkusp Thanks for all the pics & info. Looks like it's going to be a sweet ODNR range for sure.
Link Posted: 6/21/2020 12:15:26 PM EDT
[#28]
@mackdaddy1962

If you want something closer Richwood is only 30 min from Delaware and they do some sort of matches every month.
Link Posted: 6/21/2020 12:23:23 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
@mackdaddy1962

If you want something closer Richwood is only 30 min from Delaware and they do some sort of matches every month.
View Quote

@bdover Yeah, I've looked into Richwood. I was actually a member @ Meeker last year, but never made my way back.

Anyone have any insight with Logan Fish & Game in Bellefontaine? I've heard good things about them as well.
Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top