Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/18/2022 1:20:34 PM EDT
Okay I am traveling to Michigan for a few days, I have read the laws on what I need to do. ie open carry vs concealed and whats allowed. The one question is what is the definition of unloaded in michigan for when its in the car? is it mags loaded but not in gun? mags unloaded etc?

Yes I will be bringing my "license" to buy handguns from maryland.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 9:23:52 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Okay I am traveling to Michigan for a few days, I have read the laws on what I need to do. ie open carry vs concealed and whats allowed. The one question is what is the definition of unloaded in michigan for when its in the car? is it mags loaded but not in gun? mags unloaded etc?

Yes I will be bringing my "license" to buy handguns from maryland.
View Quote

Is your license for carrying concealed? If not, it is my understanding that when transporting firearms in a vehicle, the firearm must be unloaded, placed in a case, or otherwise made inaccessible to the occupants such as being placed in a trunk or by use of a cable/trigger lock. Magazines do not need to be unloaded but must be separate from the firearm. They can be placed in the same case as long as the magazine is not inserted into anything.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 10:29:54 AM EDT
[#2]
If you don't have a concealed pistol license issued by your home state you can't have the firearm inside the passenger compartment. If you chose to open carry, the firearm must be unloaded and in the trunk or truck bed and you will be forced to load and holster every time you want to become a pedestrian.

I believe you can have the firearms disassembled in the cab or in a enclosed case, unloaded.

Carrying a loaded handgun inside your passenger compartment requires a CPL. It's a felony if you don't have one. Long guns are never allowed to be loaded when transporting them in a vehicle in our state.

Link Posted: 5/20/2022 12:42:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you don't have a concealed pistol license issued by your home state you can't have the firearm inside the passenger compartment. If you chose to open carry, the firearm must be unloaded and in the trunk or truck bed and you will be forced to load and holster every time you want to become a pedestrian.

I believe you can have the firearms disassembled in the cab or in a enclosed case, unloaded.

Carrying a loaded handgun inside your passenger compartment requires a CPL. It's a felony if you don't have one. Long guns are never allowed to be loaded when transporting them in a vehicle in our state.

View Quote

So, what if you have an suv with no trunk or bed. Also, cite your source.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 9:53:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Without a CPL it just needs to be unloaded and in a case.  Or just take the slide off and put the frame (unloaded) and slide on your passenger seat (aka taken down).

It's not a felony it's a misdemeanor if you have a loaded gun on you in a vehicle without a CPL

https://www.legislature.mi.gov/

THE MICHIGAN PENAL CODE (EXCERPT)Act 328 of 1931

750.227d Transporting or possessing firearm in or upon motor vehicle or self-propelled vehicle designed for land travel; violation as misdemeanor; penalty.
Sec. 227d.

(1) Except as otherwise permitted by law, a person shall not transport or possess in or upon a motor vehicle or any self-propelled vehicle designed for land travel either of the following:
 (a) A firearm, other than a pistol, unless the firearm is unloaded and is 1 or more of the following:
 (i) Taken down.
 (ii) Enclosed in a case.
 (iii) Carried in the trunk of the vehicle.
 (iv) Inaccessible from the interior of the vehicle.
 (b) A pneumatic gun that expels a metallic BB or metallic pellet greater than .177 caliber unless the pneumatic gun is unloaded and is 1 or more of the following:
 (i) Taken down.
 (ii) Enclosed in a case.
 (iii) Carried in the trunk of the vehicle.
 (iv) Inaccessible from the interior of the vehicle.
 (2) A person who violates this section is guilty of a misdemeanor punishable by imprisonment for not more than 90 days or a fine of not more than $100.00, or both.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 11:00:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks I am here now. I had it cased and in the trunk, loaded mags in a separate bag. I know the law I read it, I was just mostly needing to know if the mags had to be unloaded as nothing I can find online was clear on that.
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 7:41:35 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Thanks I am here now. I had it cased and in the trunk, loaded mags in a separate bag. I know the law I read it, I was just mostly needing to know if the mags had to be unloaded as nothing I can find online was clear on that.
View Quote
Mags don't need to be unloaded.
Link Posted: 6/18/2022 2:20:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:750.227d Transporting or possessing firearm in or upon motor vehicle or self-propelled vehicle designed for land travel; violation as misdemeanor; penalty.
Sec. 227d.
View Quote
That would include an ATV too I would guess.

I've been riding my ATV back-n-forth with the rifle and ammo to my shooting area on my property.

I am a criminal. Fear me*.

*If you're a lawful varmint to harvest.
Link Posted: 6/18/2022 6:16:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
That would include an ATV too I would guess.

I've been riding my ATV back-n-forth with the rifle and ammo to my shooting area on my property.

I am a criminal. Fear me*.

*If you're a lawful varmint to harvest.
View Quote

I think I sense sarcasm, but on private property I don’t believe any of those laws apply.
Link Posted: 6/19/2022 9:32:46 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I think I sense sarcasm, but on private property I don’t believe any of those laws apply.
View Quote

So you're saying I can ride around my 62 acres in the U.P., during grouse hunting season, with a loaded shotgun in my UTV? Or a loaded rifle during deer season?

No, I don't think so.

It would be nice, I'm 72 years old, and it gets harder to walk it every year.
Link Posted: 6/20/2022 9:28:39 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

So you're saying I can ride around my 62 acres in the U.P., during grouse hunting season, with a loaded shotgun in my UTV? Or a loaded rifle during deer season?

No, I don't think so.

View Quote

Is this sarcasm?  You are concerned about a transport law on your own property?
Link Posted: 6/21/2022 8:57:51 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

No, not sarcasm. Am I concerned? Not really. My comment was about the statement that it may be legal to do so.

No, it's not legal to transport an uncased, loaded or unloaded, long gun in any motor vehicle, anywhere, public or private.

Do what you like. But know what you're doing.
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 5:30:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

No, I don't think so.

View Quote

I do what I want on my property. YMMV...
Link Posted: 8/25/2022 7:57:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

He's correct it is illegal to transport a loaded firearm in a vehicle, even on your own property.  Are you ever going to get busted? Probably not.  That doesn't make it legal though.
Link Posted: 8/25/2022 9:29:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

He's correct it is illegal to transport a loaded firearm in a vehicle, even on your own property.  Are you ever going to get busted? Probably not.  That doesn't make it legal though.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You do you stateless poster.
Link Posted: 8/26/2022 11:52:38 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

You do you stateless poster.
View Quote

I do, but what a person does isn't necessarily what the law requires.  

For those who find Google difficult to use.
Link Posted: 8/27/2022 8:56:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

I recently heard a rumor that the DNR has hired more officers (which might explain, at least in part, why the range at "The Pit" site is now open Thur-Sun), and that they are really cracking down and issuing tickets.  I'm hoping that they get the poachers that take deer out of season and dump the carcasses on my brother's property.

MHO, YMMV, etc.  Be well.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top