Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/18/2024 5:42:45 PM EDT
Let's say you had property in a major American city and it had been occupied by a business for nearly 100 years, but through decades of political bullshit and turmoil, it still didn't have city sewer services and you were stuck on an aging septic system. You could start the process of trying to get the city to install lines on your street and run your own septic lines, but realize this process may cost you dearly and take several years to complete.

We've already got a port-o-potty as a backup.  With just a few people using it during the recent rains and once a week cleaning, it's a pretty grim prospect to use it. It's just easier to pee outside for the men at this point.

What are my options?

I've seen office trailers and dedicated bathroom trailers with their own aboveground holding tank, then a contracted company would come out weekly or biweekly and pump it out. These had conventional toilets with none of the bowl fright of a port-o-john. Anyone know of a company in the DFW area that does that and approximate costs?

We've also consider an incinerator toilet, but we've never actually used one. Probably better than a portopotty, but probably more stinky in use.

And of course I could just bring in more port-o-potties and request biweekly cleaning.

Any other thoughts or suggestions?
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 7:44:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 1:26:22 PM EDT
[#2]
I just got quoted $4000/month for a two stall trailer.

Link Posted: 3/19/2024 11:05:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By joemama74:

View Quote

That sounds pretty reasonable to me if it includes servicing.  That's what, probably a $10k trailer?
Or else you found another business opportunity.
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 8:44:56 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By mPisi:

That sounds pretty reasonable to me if it includes servicing.  That's what, probably a $10k trailer?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

poop is apparently good business.  Burleson septic is down the way from me and they appear to stay quite busy
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 9:28:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DavidY] [#5]
Originally Posted By Freakinout:

poop is apparently good business.  
View Quote

Speaking professionally as someone who works with wastewater crews every day at work

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 1:33:47 PM EDT
[#6]

View Quote

We've quickly come to the conclusion that I need to buy a construction office trailer with a bathroom and a holding tank and just have the tank serviced. At least then we could use the rest of the trailer as an employee break room.
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 8:46:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Why not just replace the septic system?
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 11:07:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Wulf202:
Why not just replace the septic system?
View Quote

I don't know that after permits and plans and everything with the city, that it would be cost effective and have any guarantee of working any better than it doesn't right now.
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 10:45:14 AM EDT
[#9]
Why can't you just keep using the existing septic system?
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 1:06:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By NotJackMiller:
Why can't you just keep using the existing septic system?
View Quote

Drainage is so poor, when you get more than 3/4" of rain, you can't flush for a day.
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 3:29:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DogtownTom] [#11]

Drainage is so poor, when you get more than 3/4" of rain, you can't flush for a day.
View Quote

Pfffft......you need to do what we do do in Plano. Just claim "a valve stuck" and let your sewage run into White Rock Creek.
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 4:53:54 PM EDT
[#12]
How many sqft or acres is the lot?  How much of that is covered by buildings, asphalt, and concrete?  If you are in the city limits how can you not simply get a permit to tie in to the city sewer system?
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 11:53:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By brazos609:
If you are in the city limits how can you not simply get a permit to tie in to the city sewer system?
View Quote

Literally OP's first sentence?
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 1:11:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: joemama74] [#14]
Originally Posted By brazos609:
How many sqft or acres is the lot?  How much of that is covered by buildings, asphalt, and concrete?  If you are in the city limits how can you not simply get a permit to tie in to the city sewer system?
View Quote

There is no sewer line on my street. The city would have to trench a new line to our property. There's actually miles of existing property without access. I when I say existing, it's been there more than 60 years.

Big city = zero fucks given.

It's tough to get anything in what's considered the shitty part of town.

I had city trash services for a while, if I was lucky, I'd actually get them to pick up the trash once every 3 weeks. After 6 months of bitching, I told them to come pick up their can. I contracted a dumpster with a private service.

Everyone has great internet, right? Especially if you can walk to the end of your driveway and see the AT&T world headquarters, right? Oh fuck no. Spectrum is the only one with a line in our area and it took me 8 months to get hooked up. I finally had to grab a repairman who was working down the street on the line, bring him to my place, show him the cable line on the power pole and asked him if they could hook me up. Everyone at Spectrum's corporate office denied there was line there.

Everything is like that. You just don't go downtown and get a permit to do anything, because in most cases, they never put anything in or don't have people assigned to the area.

Link Posted: 3/22/2024 2:04:50 PM EDT
[#15]

There is no sewer line on my street. The city would have to trench a new line to our property. There's actually miles of existing property without access. I when I say existing, it's been there more than 60 years.

Big city = zero fucks given.

View Quote

Dallas got rid of those horrific Confederate statues in less time than it took to get rid of Shingle Mountain.
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 2:20:09 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By DogtownTom:

Dallas got rid of those horrific Confederate statues in less time than it took to get rid of Shingle Mountain.
View Quote

I met with a guy last week on a city board (not a city employee). We drove around the area discussing various problems. He was telling me how D Caraway was involved in gambling in the southern sector, basically as his own personal fundraiser and how he figured current leadership in the south was probably similarly tied.

If we can ever get DPS off the border, we need them back into town just to take down gambling joints that DPD won't touch because of political elites. It's somewhere between a cartel and an oligarchy, generating cash that you can't legitimately match. Dallas is due to send another councilman to prison, seems like there's at least one a decade.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 12:09:20 PM EDT
[#17]
Oddly, the City of Dallas has an aggressive program for residential properties where the city will furnish plumbing installation fees and associated costs to get a residence off septic and onto the sanitary sewer grid. But not for commercial accounts.

On the other note, much of Southern Dallas is run by organized criminal activity. This occurs at the street level with gangs but also runs through city and county government. If you peel back the curtain and look behind the scenes it becomes evident very quickly that the fix is in. An honest person cannot make a living or call that area home without paying protection or becoming part of a criminal network.

Poking around some can eventually lead to law enforcement taking on some crime. Most recently game cameras in South Dallas parks documented an illegal stolen ATV ring responsible for robberies, thefts etc. The investigation tied back into Kaufman County where the ATF busted up the ring with arrests I was told this morning.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 12:19:01 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By refidnasb:
Oddly, the City of Dallas has an aggressive program for residential properties where the city will furnish plumbing installation fees and associated costs to get a residence off septic and onto the sanitary sewer grid. But not for commercial accounts.
View Quote

Already been down that road. But hooking up isn't really the issue. The city never installed the infrastructure to begin with.

I've been offered "help" by a couple of officials, but that means absolutely nothing, and you have to consider the timelines. Months not days, years not months.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 12:55:41 PM EDT
[#19]

On the other note, much of Southern Dallas is run by organized criminal activity.
View Quote

So let's say that prostitution is organized under this umbrella, no one ever feels like these girls who are brutally murdered and dumped are a problem, especially if our politicians are receiving money from it?
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 3:32:58 PM EDT
[#20]
Attachment Attached File

The level of organization could be massive.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 7:09:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DavidY] [#21]
much of Southern Dallas is run by organized criminal activity
View Quote

Attachment Attached File

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top