Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/28/2023 10:52:30 PM EDT
My wife took a walk with the dog this afternoon and spotted something weird.  A stack of deer, about 4 of them with strings still tied around their legs really close to our property line.  I went and took a look, they were killed within the past few days.  Not gutted, hides still on them and all of the meat is there.  Not ON our property, but VERY close.  It's obvious the coyotes have already started eating them.  I've never met this neighbor, have only seen him (or someone) hunting once, not on my land so I turned around and left him alone.  This pisses me off for two reasons:

1.  It's not ethical to just kill deer, not gut them, not take the meat and just stack them on the property line.  
2.   These deer crossed my property multiple times a day.  Not that I'm upset about not getting more deer this year, see #1.  It's just wrong.

I figured out who the guy is and lives about 30 minutes away.  So what is the point of going to your land to hunt just to leave them?

How do I move forward from here?  Call him and ask him WTF?  Call the DNR and have them come check it out?  I wonder if he even had tags for them, we are in Zone 2 and the Holliday Hunt is going on.
Link Posted: 12/28/2023 11:30:00 PM EDT
[#1]
DNR
Link Posted: 12/29/2023 7:28:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Rob940] [#2]
DNR. Possible the landowner doesnt know anything about this but knows who is hunting it.
Link Posted: 12/29/2023 8:35:37 AM EDT
[#3]
Take pictures, if you can without trespassing, and call the DNR hotline. They'll send a warden out.
Link Posted: 12/29/2023 9:45:28 AM EDT
[#4]
This would piss me off if I found it anywhere.  I wouldn’t hesitate to call the DNR.
Link Posted: 12/29/2023 10:24:31 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/29/2023 10:25:57 AM EDT
[#6]
Wanton waste tickets at the minimum.
Our local warden takes this very seriously.
Link Posted: 12/29/2023 10:34:13 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By The-White-Dog:
Take pictures, if you can without trespassing, and call the DNR hotline. They'll send a warden out.
View Quote

^^^^^^

Link Posted: 12/29/2023 4:31:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DirtyDirk] [#8]
not taking the meat bugs me a little, but they ain't going to waste. The coyotes are getting a good meal. Nothing goes to waste in nature, something will get some use out of it. Fertilizer at the least.

Besides that I'd love to have neighbors that shoot lots of deer, the less deer the better.

I'd talk to the neighbor to see whats up but I'm not calling the DNR for this.

Link Posted: 12/29/2023 6:38:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Maybe road kill to use as coyote bait? Maybe he got them from the DNR
Link Posted: 1/1/2024 11:14:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Ag tags a possibility?
Link Posted: 1/2/2024 12:20:58 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By USSRangerSM:
dnr for sure...and I'm the last one to ever want to call them
View Quote

This.
I'm no fan of the DNR, but I'm a greater no fan of assholes.
Link Posted: 1/2/2024 4:20:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DirtyDirk] [#12]
Originally Posted By NotIssued:
Ag tags a possibility?
View Quote

never thought of that possibility. Best to talk to neighbor to find out whats what.

Just for interest here is a DNR sight that lists all ag permit holders, amount of tags and land available for hunting.

https://dnrx.wisconsin.gov/wdacp/public/permit/2023/deer

my county has zero ag permits tho its southern farmland, go figure.
Link Posted: 1/2/2024 5:58:29 PM EDT
[#13]
What's with the guys getting 25 tags for 1 acre of huntable land?  They must be getting frickin' stampeded!
Link Posted: 1/2/2024 9:37:50 PM EDT
[#14]
I talked to the farmer that neighbors my property, it wasn't him.  Turns out it was the guy that owns the land and his buddy, they had tags.  Still a dick move IMHO.

I'm going to push snow into his driveway every time I plow this year.  8' snow banks should send a message.  

Link Posted: 1/3/2024 11:06:15 AM EDT
[Last Edit: olyman] [#15]
nevermind.
Link Posted: 1/3/2024 12:43:07 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By DirtyDirk:

never thought of that possibility. Best to talk to neighbor to find out whats what.

Just for interest here is a DNR sight that lists all ag permit holders, amount of tags and land available for hunting.

https://dnrx.wisconsin.gov/wdacp/public/permit/2023/deer

my county has zero ag permits tho its southern farmland, go figure.
View Quote

I have a friend that gets a few ag tags every year as he does see a fair bit of crop damage, so thats pretty interesting.  He actually asked his CPA if he could write off his new rifle as a business expense for the farm as it could be used for ag tags and crop protection.  His CPA wasnt sure how to respond.  

As far as the assholes just shooting and stacking deer?  Fuck them, call the DNR.  Wardens have alot of power, and I guarantee they will frown on that.  And fucking with the DNR is not really a smart move unless you know a good lawyer.  
Im not a huge fan of government related agencies, as most of them are useless, but in this case, they can make this stop.
Link Posted: 1/3/2024 1:01:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Kaldor] [#17]
Originally Posted By USMARINE1108:
My wife took a walk with the dog this afternoon and spotted something weird.  A stack of deer, about 4 of them with strings still tied around their legs really close to our property line.  I went and took a look, they were killed within the past few days.  Not gutted, hides still on them and all of the meat is there.  Not ON our property, but VERY close.  It's obvious the coyotes have already started eating them.  I've never met this neighbor, have only seen him (or someone) hunting once, not on my land so I turned around and left him alone.  This pisses me off for two reasons:

1.  It's not ethical to just kill deer, not gut them, not take the meat and just stack them on the property line.  
2.   These deer crossed my property multiple times a day.  Not that I'm upset about not getting more deer this year, see #1.  It's just wrong.

I figured out who the guy is and lives about 30 minutes away.  So what is the point of going to your land to hunt just to leave them?

How do I move forward from here?  Call him and ask him WTF?  Call the DNR and have them come check it out?  I wonder if he even had tags for them, we are in Zone 2 and the Holliday Hunt is going on.
View Quote

I touched base with a buddy that gets ag tags every year.  He knows another farmer by him that got caught doing the same thing as you posted.  He said call the DNR.  They will slap the shit out of the idiot(s) doing this.  As in large fines.  
Once again, fuck these assholes.
Link Posted: 1/3/2024 1:32:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DirtyDirk] [#18]
Originally Posted By kapusta:
What's with the guys getting 25 tags for 1 acre of huntable land?  They must be getting frickin' stampeded!
View Quote

growing high priced items on small acreage and selling direct to consumers, like asparagus.
I had asparagus beds. Once the deer found them I never had another meal, they would eat every stalk every night.
I'll bet at the right time of the year every deer within a mile would be nailing the same 1 acre asparagus patch.

Link Posted: 1/3/2024 1:41:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Kaldor:  
Im not a huge fan of government related agencies, as most of them are useless, but in this case, they can make this stop.

View Quote

In my case I'd let it go, I'd say its a good start.
I'm tired of having to put a cage around every oak seedling so it doesn't get chewed to the ground.
Link Posted: 1/4/2024 12:17:34 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By DirtyDirk:

In my case I'd let it go, I'd say its a good start.
I'm tired of having to put a cage around every oak seedling so it doesn't get chewed to the ground.
View Quote

Tell me about it.  Ive helped another friend build his rifle range, and after we cleared about 10 acres of scrub trees out in the last 3 years, planted it back with native grass, he planted a bunch of seedlings back last summer.  The deer killed about 50% of them.  He will have to do tomato cages on the next batch to protect them.

Even still, things like this dont excuse someone being an asshole.
Link Posted: 1/5/2024 10:16:26 AM EDT
[Last Edit: rfb45colt] [#21]
I don't think anyone here, myself included, is pissed off that they shot those 4 does. What pisses me off personally, is that they wasted them.

If they don't want the meat, that's Ok, but someone else will want it. https://dnr.wisconsin.gov/topic/hunt/donation.html

IMO, if they didn't want the hassle of donating them, then they shouldn't get the tags and shoot them. What they did is illegal, and there's a good reason for that law.
Link Posted: 1/6/2024 3:52:43 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By rfb45colt:
I don't think anyone here, myself included, is pissed off that they shot those 4 does. What pisses me off personally, is that they wasted them.

If they don't want the meat, that's Ok, but someone else will want it. https://dnr.wisconsin.gov/topic/hunt/donation.html

IMO, if they didn't want the hassle of donating them, then they shouldn't get the tags and shoot them. What they did is illegal, and there's a good reason for that law.
View Quote
+1.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top