Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/7/2022 8:58:36 PM EDT
My wife is concerned. She has found the bodies of three young quail in different areas of the yard.

We used to find a bunch during hatching season that would get into bad places or just be abandoned. That sucked.

These quail are a bit more mature. Darwinism or something else?

Link Posted: 6/7/2022 9:39:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Poisoned.....feral cat??
Link Posted: 6/7/2022 10:26:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Poisoned.....feral cat??
View Quote
I hope not. We are in the process of having some ground over and brush removed. It might be possible that these chicks were left behind and already dead. ?

At the old house the gopher snakes were assholes to the quail chicks.

I want those gopher snakes on this property to deal with the rodents.

Link Posted: 6/7/2022 10:31:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I hope not. We are in the process of having some ground over and brush removed. It might be possible that these chicks were left behind and already dead. ?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Poisoned.....feral cat??

Hope it's not poison, that stuff's awful.
The gopher snakes should keep the rodent population in check.
Link Posted: 6/7/2022 10:53:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Pulled another out of the spa skimmer basket.

The way the backyard is arranged, I think that they were trapped and abandoned.

Backyard is sunken and walled in. This sucks. Idyllic yet bad location to lay eggs.

I am a softie.

eta: no young chicks, though. These guys are little quail looking guys.
Link Posted: 6/8/2022 12:21:34 AM EDT
[#5]
We usually get a bunch of baby’s every year. We ended up building a bunch of hiding places for them until I can get rid of the neighbors cat that keeps trying to kill them.
Link Posted: 6/8/2022 12:05:03 PM EDT
[#6]
I watched a hawk sit in one of my trees and eat what looked like a smallish quail or dove.  It could be hawks too, lots of predators out there that make quick work of young birds.
Link Posted: 6/8/2022 12:57:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Any roadrunners around?  I've watched them spear little birds with their beaks then feast
Link Posted: 6/8/2022 1:40:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I watched a hawk sit in one of my trees and eat what looked like a smallish quail or dove.  It could be hawks too, lots of predators out there that make quick work of young birds.
View Quote
There is a falcon that shows up on occasion. He leaves only feathers and bones behind. He did leave what looked like a heart once.

Watching him pick the bones apart is really interesting. Methodical.
Link Posted: 6/8/2022 1:41:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Any roadrunners around?  I've watched them spear little birds with their beaks then feast
View Quote
Actually, yes. I saw him in the front yard the other day. Small guy.
Link Posted: 6/8/2022 3:15:03 PM EDT
[#10]
I disposed a trash panda last month.  Bastard was destroying nests and eating the eggs.

Link Posted: 6/9/2022 1:24:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Heard on the news last night that a few cases of avian flu have been confirmed in Scottsdale. Hope it's not that.
Link Posted: 6/9/2022 6:08:10 PM EDT
[#12]
I recently read the mortality rate for baby quail is north of 80%...  lots of dangers out there when you are smaller than a lemon.
Link Posted: 6/10/2022 2:26:24 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Actually, yes. I saw him in the front yard the other day. Small guy.
View Quote

There is your answer, roadrunners kill just to do it and Quail seem to be the main target.  Got a puncture wound in their chest or back?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top