Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Site Notices
Posted: 5/1/2021 9:11:33 PM EDT
After 12+ years it looks like I may be headed back to Dayton/WPAFB for work.  Haven't been in the area for several years so I'm looking for any info on homes, areas, etc.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 5/1/2021 9:33:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Im in washington township centerville area....I have no  hesitation in recommending as a place to live. Real estate is crazy right now with most selling within a day or two. Price range your considering will also dictate options. Regardless I would stay south of Dayton in Centerville, oakwood, bellbrook all of which give you easy access to I 675 and the base
Link Posted: 5/1/2021 10:28:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Bellbrook is nice.
Link Posted: 5/2/2021 7:51:01 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Bellbrook is nice.
View Quote
And it's in Greene County.
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 6:59:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Beavercreek is nice and close to WPAFB.  Bellbrook is nice too.  Besides those I would look into one of the townships.  Beavercreek and Bellbrook also don't have city income taxes.

The housing market is crazy right now.  In my neighborhood there was a house that came up for sale and there were 13 showings the day before the sign was even in the yard (and 16 showings the next day).  From what I heard - multiple offers were put on the house the first day and the person who got it (the sale is pending) was willing to pay cash out of pocket over and above the appraised value.  There is a second house for sale in the neighborhood (the reason for the sale is the owners are relocating out of state) and I figure it will sell just as fast.

Will you be working on the base or in the surrounding area?
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 10:36:04 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Beavercreek is nice and close to WPAFB.  Bellbrook is nice too.  Besides those I would look into one of the townships.  Beavercreek and Bellbrook also don't have city income taxes.

The housing market is crazy right now.  In my neighborhood there was a house that came up for sale and there were 13 showings the day before the sign was even in the yard (and 16 showings the next day).  From what I heard - multiple offers were put on the house the first day and the person who got it (the sale is pending) was willing to pay cash out of pocket over and above the appraised value.  There is a second house for sale in the neighborhood (the reason for the sale is the owners are relocating out of state) and I figure it will sell just as fast.

Will you be working on the base or in the surrounding area?
View Quote

Will be working on base/immediately beside WPAFB.  From what I've seen online housing is very very nuts.  Looking in Beavercreek, Fairborn (E of 675 side not old town), Bellbrook, Centerville, etc. Suprisingly seeing very little in Huber.  Seen some homes in Tipp City & Vandalia...have those areas improved?
Link Posted: 5/4/2021 8:45:23 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Will be working on base/immediately beside WPAFB.  From what I've seen online housing is very very nuts.  Looking in Beavercreek, Fairborn (E of 675 side not old town), Bellbrook, Centerville, etc. Suprisingly seeing very little in Huber.  Seen some homes in Tipp City & Vandalia...have those areas improved?
View Quote

Tipp and Vandalia are both nice.  I live in Troy, which I love, but it's probably a little far if you're working at the base.  We did look at houses in Beavercreek, and the big turn off was the taxes.  You're going to get a lot less house for the money in Beavercreek compared to Miami County.  That's just how it is.  If money's not an issue, then swing for the fences and get something close.  But nice houses definitely cost more there.  

Someone mentioned living south of Dayton.  The only thing I'd be concerned about is that Dayton and Cincinnati seem to be slowly inching toward each other.  The traffic on 75 is a real nuisance compared to north of town.  Speaking of south of town, I'd avoid Oakwood like the plague.  Nice houses, but very liberal.  They're all about compassion and caring, but about a decade or so someone tried to build a homeless shelter there.  Needless to say, it never happened.
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 3:43:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Beavercreek is crazy right now for real estate prices.  One house did come available in my neighborhood a couple days ago.  Not sure if it has sold or not.  3 Bed, 3 full bath, 1 1/2 bath, 2 car garage, fenced in yard.  Basement is finished.  All appliances stay (from what I understand).  Area B is closer than Area A.
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 7:47:16 PM EDT
[#8]
I just placed an offer on a house in Warren County outside Springboro city limits. I grew up in Huber but relocating back to Dayton area from Knoxville, TN.

I'm shopping for houses between $250-300k and you have to shop below your actual price range right now because $15-20k over asking price (or a lot more) is the norm. And like someone mentioned above, it's not unusual for offers to contain an agreement to cover an appraisal shortage with cash. We sort of split the difference and offered to pay up to $10k over appraisal value.

Not fun stuff right now, but since we're relocating we don't have much of a choice but to deal with it.

*edit* update below- we got it.
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 8:42:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Im in washington township centerville area....I have no  hesitation in recommending as a place to live. Real estate is crazy right now with most selling within a day or two. Price range your considering will also dictate options. Regardless I would stay south of Dayton in Centerville, oakwood, bellbrook all of which give you easy access to I 675 and the base
View Quote

My wife and I are also in Washington Township.  This is a great area.  My wife also works at WPAFB and the commute is easy.
Link Posted: 5/9/2021 9:46:22 PM EDT
[#10]
I live in Bellbrook and work on the base (civilian). Great area, easy commute, but it may be hard to find a house.

I also grew up in Miamisburg, its nice, but your commute will be a little longer.

PM me if you want more info
Link Posted: 5/10/2021 8:56:20 PM EDT
[#11]
This is hitting home!!  Grew up in West Milton, and I can remember we had a LOT of Wright Pat civilian employees in town.  Now you Tipdalia and Daytonati to deal with....

Miami County is STILL a lot more affordable and just over a half hour drive to base (please correct me if the patterns changed)...

And I can remember when Bellbrook was the smallest school in the SWBL....
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 9:44:28 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I live in Bellbrook and work on the base (civilian). Great area, easy commute, but it may be hard to find a house.

I also grew up in Miamisburg, its nice, but your commute will be a little longer.

PM me if you want more info
View Quote

Yup. Houses in Bellbrook aren't on the market for more than a few days before they sell.
Link Posted: 5/12/2021 7:52:41 AM EDT
[#13]
We just "won" a contract in Springboro for $23k over asking. We'll cover up to $10k of the gap between appraisal and purchase price- so with any luck, it'll appraise lower and we'll save a bit of money on the back end. We offered asking price with an escalation clause up to our max # for that house.

I'm not excited about the price but we were shopping well below our max price so it'll be ok.
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 1:04:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
We just "won" a contract in Springboro for $23k over asking. We'll cover up to $10k of the gap between appraisal and purchase price- so with any luck, it'll appraise lower and we'll save a bit of money on the back end. We offered asking price with an escalation clause up to our max # for that house.

I'm not excited about the price but we were shopping well below our max price so it'll be ok.
View Quote

Welcome to the area.....when you get settled look into the Ohio Gun Collectors association. Quarterly gun shows that are members only. Lots of guys here are members and we can assist in getting you in. Annual dues are $50 range but well worth it. Shows do not allow any of the nonsense that a commercial show has. Typically spend several hours just to get through it all and one of the best shows going where gun guys get together. Also the shows are in wilmington which is very close to springbo.

Ogca

Link Posted: 5/15/2021 2:40:02 PM EDT
[#15]
If I worked at the base I'd look around Xiena or whatever township that is assuming you want somewhat rural.
I work SW of Dayton and live in Preble co. House prices are pretty crazy here.
Link Posted: 5/24/2021 11:00:18 AM EDT
[#16]
Im in Vandalia, I also have a real estate license. Vandalia is nice but the influx of mega warehouses like P&G, Crocs, Chewy and Amazon coming soon is changing the landscape. Go to Miami or Warren county for tax reasons. The extra gas will offset the tax difference so may depend on if you stay here a long time. Look into Bethel Township also.

If you need any help let me know.
Link Posted: 5/24/2021 12:31:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Welcome, Clearcreek township here. Hope you like it.
Link Posted: 5/26/2021 5:09:12 PM EDT
[#18]
Have put in 5 different unsuccessful offers on various homes in a wide backward C search area that surrounds Dayton (excluding Dayton proper).  Been unsuccessful in Beavercreek, Tipp City, Englewood, and Huber.  Can't even find a decent rental.  We're being told wait for after 1 June as it will be after Memorial Day/local graduations/etc.  Just really getting frustrated.  Putting in offers in excess of asking price with no success.

Link Posted: 5/26/2021 5:11:51 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

We've been unsuccessful doing exactly what you did.  We've even gone as far as unlimited appraisal gap.  Done the escalator thing with max being $30k+ over asking as well.
Link Posted: 5/27/2021 8:51:42 PM EDT
[#20]
Man I hope you find something.......it will loosen up but damn
Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top