Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 9/7/2018 12:31:53 PM EDT
DALLAS -- A Dallas police officer returning home from work shot and killed a neighbor after she said she mistook his apartment for her own, police said Friday. The officer called dispatch to report that she had shot the man Thursday night, police said. She told responding officers that she believed the victim's apartment was her own when she entered it.

Police haven't released the name of the officer, who wasn't injured. She will be placed on administrative leave pending the outcome of the investigation, police said.

https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:aLvlPNCz7MgJ:https://www.dallasnews.com/news/crime/2018/09/06/shooting-reported-cedars-near-dallas-police-headquarters+&cd=34&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

Enters another's home, shoots, kills, and magically not arrested or even named. Did not even offer first-aid (responding officers did). Why am I not surprised?
Link Posted: 9/7/2018 12:45:25 PM EDT
[#1]
I bet there was no history of problems between those neighbors either.......
Link Posted: 9/7/2018 1:10:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Wow........what a shit show.
Link Posted: 9/7/2018 1:19:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Returning home from work or returning home from having drinks after work?  I don't see how a sober person mistakes another apartment for their own.
Link Posted: 9/7/2018 1:28:01 PM EDT
[#4]
There's a lot more to this story than what's being reported.
Link Posted: 9/7/2018 1:43:44 PM EDT
[#5]
And now the press conference scheduled for 1130 still has not happened. Looks like they want to wait till all the local noon news stations are off the air and will not carry it live.
Link Posted: 9/7/2018 1:58:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Presser just started. Chief says they are seeking a warrant for manslaughter right now. Getting blood samples too. Officer is white, will be named when booked. Somehow Chief does not know when officers shift ended, thus we do not know the gap in time between end of shift and shooting (we can guess where she was). Texas Rangers are now in charge of investigation.

In before BLM protests!
Link Posted: 9/7/2018 2:01:45 PM EDT
[#7]
That story really dibesnt pass the BS test.
Link Posted: 9/7/2018 4:13:30 PM EDT
[#8]

Could have easily been avoided.
Link Posted: 9/7/2018 6:38:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
No details yet, but I bet its hard to see those colors late at night through beer goggles or her drink of choice.  Conveniently it sounds like no blood draw until 12 hours after the incident. That or there was some messed up love situation gone bad.
Link Posted: 9/7/2018 6:47:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

No details yet, but I bet its hard to see those colors late at night through beer goggles or her drink of choice.  Conveniently it sounds like no blood draw until 12 hours after the incident. That or there was some messed up love situation gone bad.
View Quote
That's the joke.

They had to start painting different colors on doors in Dublin because the Irish were too drunk to find their own homes.  Something doesn't smell right in this story.
Link Posted: 9/7/2018 6:48:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
From what was said on the radio today, she had recently gotten off work and was in uniform that her apartment was a block from the station. Should have done a blood draw in the first hour or two.

What gets me is don't you lock the door in an apartment? If the guy shot had locked his door she would have never gotten in, especially if she was really drunk.
Link Posted: 9/7/2018 6:55:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
What gets me is don't you lock the door in an apartment? If the guy shot had locked his door she would have never gotten in, especially if she was really drunk.
View Quote
It is being reported it is same apt on different floor, which seems likely for this type of error. She tried to enter, deceased her door noise, opened door for Officer Friendly and she shot him.

eta

A Dallas police officer, who spoke with NBC 5 under the condition of anonymity, said the female officer was assigned to the department's elite Crime Response Team and had just finished a 14-hour shift serving warrants in high-crime areas. When she arrived home, she took the elevator to the 14th floor, though her apartment is on the 13th floor. She then went to what she thought was her door, put the key in and struggled with the lock. She then put down several things she was holding and continued to fight with the key when the resident swung open the door and startled her. The officer believed Jean, who was wearing only underwear, was an intruder and shot him with her service weapon. It wasn't until police and rescue units began arriving that she realized she was not at her apartment. Once realizing her deadly mistake, she became emotional and fully cooperated with officers, including offering to provide blood samples.
Link Posted: 9/7/2018 9:25:30 PM EDT
[#13]
I’m pretty sure that’s murder.
Link Posted: 9/7/2018 9:35:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Ok, I was wrong.  I can see her getting confused in that situation.   Work 14 hour shift, get to your building, probably busy looking at her phone not paying attention to what floor she hit on the elevator and half paying attention trying to open the wrong door.

BUT why when her key didn't work, why would you not look at the number on the door?  And unless that person answered the door with a gun in hand pointed at her, why would she just shoot some guy in his underwear?
Link Posted: 9/7/2018 10:12:51 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Ok, I was wrong.  I can see her getting confused in that situation.   Work 14 hour shift, get to your building, probably busy looking at her phone not paying attention to what floor she hit on the elevator and half paying attention trying to open the wrong door.

BUT why when her key didn't work, why would you not look at the number on the door?  And unless that person answered the door with a gun in hand pointed at her, why would she just shoot some guy in his underwear?
View Quote
Even if the guy answered the door of his apartment had a gun in his hand (doesn't sound like he did), she is up shit creek for shooting the guy. Bad part is you have 2 good people who who's lives are ruined.

I live in a pretty nice safe neighborhood and if you are at my front door I do not ever unlock and open the door until I know who is there. Now until I am 100% sure I want to unlock and open my door I have a gun in my hand ready to shoot if needed.
Link Posted: 9/7/2018 10:14:19 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Even if the guy answered the door of his apartment had a gun in his hand (doesn't sound like he did), she is up shit creek for shooting the guy. Bad part is you have 2 good people who who's lives are ruined.

I live in a pretty nice safe neighborhood and if you are at my front door I do not ever unlock and open the door until I know who is there. Now until I am 100% sure I want to unlock and open my door I have a gun in my hand ready to shoot if needed.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Would suck to get shot for opening your own door for the police
Link Posted: 9/7/2018 10:47:11 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It happens poor than you think, many time no knock warrants can turn into a shit shop real fast. If they indentify themselves as LEO I have no problem opening the door without a gun in my hand.
Link Posted: 9/7/2018 10:50:01 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
It happens poor than you think, many time no knock warrants can turn into a shit shop real fast. If they indentify themselves as LEO I have no problem opening the door without a gun in my hand.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

More fun when bad guys tell you they are the police
Link Posted: 9/7/2018 11:14:43 PM EDT
[#19]
Sad situation for the victim.

I don't think working a 14 hour shift was as much of an issue as the job she was working - serving warrants.  This is another reason I don't think women should be in these types of positions, just too much volatility.  Women are easily startled and usually react poorly, as in this case.
Link Posted: 9/8/2018 10:05:29 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Better be in full uniform and show ID and warrants if asked. I don't have a PD where I live only Sheriffs.
Link Posted: 9/8/2018 12:14:52 PM EDT
[#21]
Mind boggling:

"The officer has not been interviewed and was not detained. She was allowed to leave since a warrant has not been formally issued yet"
Link Posted: 9/8/2018 12:36:35 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Mind boggling:

"The officer has not been interviewed and was not detained. She was allowed to leave since a warrant has not been formally issued yet"
View Quote
If this has been anyone other than a cop that would have never happened.
Link Posted: 9/8/2018 2:10:32 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Mind boggling:

View Quote
Since when is a warrant required to make an arrest?

I think they may give the case to a Grand Jury.
Link Posted: 9/8/2018 2:13:25 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Since when is a warrant required to make an arrest?
View Quote
Ever since it became SOP to have a crime scene, have a murder victim, have a smoking gun, have a suspect holding the smoking gun, have suspect admit to shooting the victim, and then you do not interview the suspect and let the suspect go.

Apparently that is how the DPD rolls when the suspect has a DPD uniform

NEW DPD Investigative Process:

Is there a crime scene? Yes.
Is there a murder victim? Yes.
Is there a smoking gun? Yes.
Is suspect holding the smoking gun? Yes.
Is suspect a DPD officer? Yes.

ACTION:  Then you do not interview the suspect and let the suspect go.
Link Posted: 9/8/2018 4:15:09 PM EDT
[#25]
https://newsone.com/3825718/amber-guyger-amy-gyger-dallas-police-shooting/

Who knows if this is true or not

But when there is no transparency, this is the result.

eta

Link Posted: 9/8/2018 5:45:22 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 9/8/2018 5:58:25 PM EDT
[#27]
Looks like a really bad situation just got worse

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/09/08/mother-black-man-shot-dead-by-white-dallas-officer-wonders-if-race-played-pivotal-role.html
Link Posted: 9/9/2018 11:13:55 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Sad situation for the victim.

I don't think working a 14 hour shift was as much of an issue as the job she was working - serving warrants.  This is another reason I don't think women should be in these types of positions, just too much volatility.  Women are easily startled and usually react poorly, as in this case.
View Quote
Wow, sexist much?

They filed manslaughter on the officer, which it had to be between that and criminally negligent homicide.

This is a horrible thing that happened.
Link Posted: 9/9/2018 11:22:30 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

They filed manslaughter on the officer, which it had to be between that and criminally negligent homicide.
View Quote
No charges/warrant have been filed yet.
Link Posted: 9/9/2018 11:33:59 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Wow, sexist much?

View Quote
Actually, they haven't filed shit yet. The Texas Rangers asked authorities to hold off on issuing any warrant until they had an opportunity to investigate some of the information that was provided during an interview they conducted with Guyger.

That being said, whatever charge may come down isn't necessarily going to be limited to manslaughter or CNH. Depending on what info is uncovered, there may well be a range of charges available.
Link Posted: 9/9/2018 1:27:23 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Wow, sexist much?

View Quote
Call you what you want but facts aren't always politically correct.  Are there exceptions to the rule?  Always.
Link Posted: 9/9/2018 8:50:29 PM EDT
[#32]
She was just arrested and charged with manslaughter
Link Posted: 9/9/2018 9:07:45 PM EDT
[#33]
$300K Bond and just like that, she is free again.
Link Posted: 9/9/2018 9:57:09 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote
If she lived in California she would have been handed a reminder to return for trial and wouldn't have had to post anything.
Link Posted: 9/9/2018 10:00:56 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

If she lived in California she would have been handed a reminder to return for trial and wouldn't have had to post anything.
View Quote
She was processed in Kaufman County, apparently she has been spending the last 2 days looking for her apt.
Link Posted: 9/9/2018 11:29:07 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote
What's your point?
Link Posted: 9/9/2018 11:31:52 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote
Not like she’s a flight risk
Link Posted: 9/9/2018 11:43:55 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote
I’d bet many in Dallas who get charged with similar crimes usually get much lower bond amounts.  Is this an example of the preferential treatment you’ve been pointing out throughout this thread?

Maybe it’s just me, but I sense you have some sort of axe to grind in this situation.
Link Posted: 9/9/2018 11:52:38 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I’d bet many in Dallas who get charged with similar crimes usually get much lower bond amounts.  Is this an example of the preferential treatment you’ve been pointing out throughout this thread?

Maybe it’s just me, but I sense you have some sort of axe to grind in this situation.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

$300k for manslaughter is way higher than "normal" in Dallas County. Intoxication manslaughter is $50k.

2017 recommended bond schedule.
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 1:40:55 AM EDT
[#40]
$300k bond is very high and only in extreme circumstances can you get a "no bond" warrant.

Will she abscond? Only time will tell.

But you cannot deny someone a right to bond simply because they "might." If that were the litmus test nobody would be able to bond out. You need more than a wild guess to get a no bond.

Looks on the surface to be a very bad shoot, but that does not mean she is going to be a flight risk.
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 9:55:44 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

What's your point?
View Quote
Just the facts Ma'am.
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 1:29:52 PM EDT
[#42]
Kaufman? What gives?

There were a bunch of DPD who turned themselves over to Seagoville a few months back

I'll admit it's a sad situation and a clusterfuck, but anyone else not wearing a badge would be arrested immediately and sitting in jail in Dallas.
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 4:21:44 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 5:14:49 PM EDT
[#44]
This is one reason why I tell all of my LTC students that:

1) Just because you can shoot, doesn't mean you should.
2) A flashlight is incredibly important.
3) You should always do your best to understand the situation and circumstances before shooting, although this is at times a luxury.

Based on that description, it seems like she (aside from having poor situational awareness) freaked out...  She didn't ID her target well enough, decided not to retreat, and then escalated force REALLY quickly.
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 5:48:29 PM EDT
[#45]
That's going to end badly for her I would expect.
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 6:06:42 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

That's going to end badly for her I would expect.
View Quote
I certainly hope so.
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 6:40:56 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

She was processed in Kaufman County, apparently she has been spending the last 2 days looking for her apt.
View Quote
Either that or she knows she's going away for a while so she was making the best of what time she had left.

Or they told her to stay away from her own home for her own safety.
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 7:10:26 PM EDT
[#48]
Her lawyer probably arranged for her to be processed outside of Dallas to avoid the media attention and stay in hiding while the bail was being processed. Neither her nor DPD would want any more media attention than they are already getting.
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 7:13:22 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Her lawyer probably arranged for her to be processed outside of Dallas to avoid the media attention and stay in hiding while the bail was being processed. Neither her nor DPD would want any more media attention than they are already getting.
View Quote
Fox4 said Texas Rangers arranged it with DCSO and her lawyer.
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 7:43:45 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Fox4 said Texas Rangers arranged it with DCSO and her lawyer.
View Quote
Certainly a courtesy that would be extended to anyone in the same situation.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Top Top