Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/21/2019 1:35:07 PM EDT
DNR Wateree will be closed the entire week of Christmas. BOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The week of New Year's they will be closed Monday and Wednesday but will be open Tuesday, Thursday, Friday, and Saturday.
Link Posted: 12/22/2019 12:50:18 PM EDT
[#1]
FWIW Manchester Range (Poinsett) is closed until January 11th.
Link Posted: 12/22/2019 5:24:58 PM EDT
[#2]
How often do you hit the range? You are the go to guy for closings.
Link Posted: 12/22/2019 7:28:31 PM EDT
[#3]
I don't get out there all that often but...

These public ranges are typically closed for extended periods during the holidays so yesterday I made it a point to ask.
Link Posted: 12/24/2019 5:18:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Right now the extended closure is irrelevant.

I injured my right (strong side) hand at the range when I was getting ready to go pack up my stuff. Grabbed a pistol and in the process of putting in my range bag felt a very sharp stinging pain in my fingers/wrist. I've experienced this before when grabbing a holstered gun (carpal tunnel). When I got home the pain was mostly in my thumb and was bad enough to warrant a doctor's visit (and subsequent X-ray this morning).

The two flexor and one adductor muscles that connect with the thumb are extremely swollen. as well as pain running down the back of my thumb down to the wrist. In addition I was mentioned that there may be a very slight hairline fracture in a bone in that area.

Some online research points to "DeQuervain's Tenosynovitis" as a possible issue.

Extended periods using a reloading press (yes, I have) may have set this off. In the meantime, no range sessions and no reloading.

I am considering replacing the press handle with a roller arm from Inline Fab.
Link Posted: 12/24/2019 8:14:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Break bones shooting or reloading. Do the RO need milk or if he 100 years old? The twins ponds down here does stupid stupid stuff now that its manned. Theres only one RO or should i say person that can RO so if they call in sick the range is closed. They close on sundays and mondays. Most people dont work weekends and sunday is one of the most popular days.
Link Posted: 12/30/2019 2:43:37 PM EDT
[#6]
That sucks man, hope you feel better quickly.  Dealing with a wrist injury myself since October but haven't been to the Doc about it.  It's been progressively feeling better but seems to be taking a very long time.  Still can't pick up anything remotely heavy with it at certain angles but I was able to shoot handguns this week.  Some of the heavier pistols hurt but not to the point I couldn't shoot.  Really gets you down when injuries prevent you from enjoying hobbies or god forbid defense.
Link Posted: 12/30/2019 2:52:42 PM EDT
[#7]
It's a perfect time to refresh shooting with weak hand skills.

Luckily after futher review of X-rays there was no bone fracture.

Hand injury is another reason to invest in a couple of "Lula loaders".
Link Posted: 12/31/2019 11:49:09 AM EDT
[#8]
Not to sound like an ass, but I’m glad you have this.  Because I have the same shit going on with my thumb and had no idea WTF was going on with me.  Left thumb has been bothering me for well over a year now.  The day of my 57th birthday last week I woke up to my right thumb and wrist in extreme pain and it hasn’t gotten any better.  Reading your thread has me woke now.  
My GP thought it was a worn out joint and told me I needed a replacement.  He was going to set me up an appointment with a hand doc, but I declined because I’m not willing to go there yet.

But I just did some googling about this.  Fits me to a T as to my issues.  Probably from surfing AR15 on my iPad so much.  My wife has a good hand doc, she’s having surgery next month for Dupuytren’s contracture.  Her’s is very early onset, so he’s going to go in and dig out the connective tissue before it gets bad.  But I’m going to make an appointment with him ASAP.
Link Posted: 12/31/2019 7:44:24 PM EDT
[#9]
I got to Wateree at opening time and both sides started to get pretty busy within the hour and both rifle and pistol ranges were pretty much full by the time I left at noon.

Lots of people taking their new toys out for a spin.

Did not shoot any weak hand but my afflicted strong hand did not give me much in the way of trouble. I popped an Aleve when I got up this morning.
Link Posted: 1/2/2020 7:35:33 PM EDT
[#10]
I rode out to Wateree this afternoon with BubbaShootz and his son in order to install a set of night sights on one of his latest acquisitions.

Got there about an hour before closing. It was dark and getting cold and it started to rain but the pistol side was pretty full and a good time was had by all. Rounds loaded with Power Pistol are really flashy in these conditions!
Link Posted: 1/2/2020 11:01:39 PM EDT
[#11]
We did have a good time despite the low light and drizzling rain conditions. Thanks again for getting those TFX Pro's on the new G45 for me. I agree Power Pistol was a little flashy today . Still have about a pound and a half of it to use.
Link Posted: 1/4/2020 6:56:31 PM EDT
[#12]
I went out there again for a couple of hours. Range both sides pretty busy people showing up  right up until the cut-off time.

Met some nice people and hopefully we'll see some new 20'ers as a result.
Link Posted: 1/6/2020 11:36:03 AM EDT
[#13]
The range utilizes PVS target stands, 1" x 2" lumber as uprights, and large binder clips to hold the cardboard to the uprights. They would prefer you not use staples to affix cardboard to sticks or targets to cardboard (they supply painter's tape).

Lately there has been a shortage of binder clips as they get shot to pieces .

Online prices for them are really cheap (like $2/doz.) so I stopped in Staples this morning and I though I'd buy some, keep four for myself, and donate the rest figuring the price was comparable.

Wrong.

An 8-count bag is $5.

I bought a bag, but I'm keeping them for my own use.
Link Posted: 1/15/2020 8:17:12 PM EDT
[#14]
As Monday January 20 is a state holiday they will be closed on Tuesday the 21st.
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 4:00:48 PM EDT
[#15]
DNR has recently installed 8' wide tarps on the ground in front of the range benches (erosion control). The DNR requests that range patrons not walk on them. RSO didn't have a problem with me using a broom to sweep brass off the tarp for retrieval.
Link Posted: 2/2/2020 9:58:29 PM EDT
[#16]
There is at least one possibly more range closure days (LE training) in February I'll post them if/when I find out any further information.

I do know that more erosion mats/tarps are going to be installed in the ground (on the ends of bays closest to the berm that divides the pistol and rifle ranges).
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 1:25:25 PM EDT
[#17]
DNR Wateree facilities will be closed on Tuesday February 18 as the 17th is a state holiday (president's day).

The next state holiday (which also falls on a monday) is Confederate Memorial Day. That's a way off from now (May 11). Range will be closed Monday and Tuesday of that week.
Link Posted: 3/9/2020 6:28:29 PM EDT
[#18]
Effective immediately DNR Wateree will not allow pistol grip/Shockwave-style shotguns on any of the ranges including the rifle/pistol ranges.

I'll admit I had an Emily Litella moment when I saw that posted on the range shack bulletin board. "So what's the issue with an AR pistol with a Shockwave Blade on it? How is that any different than an SBA3?"

Oh, that's different.

Link Posted: 3/9/2020 11:17:08 PM EDT
[#19]
One proposed addition to both rifle and pistol bays are light signals to show when the range is hot or not (example Red light, green light)

As usual, the range gets packed on Saturdays. The RSO can at times get overwhelmed when it's that busy.
Link Posted: 3/17/2020 4:35:32 PM EDT
[#20]
The facility manager at DNR Wateree told me this morning that there is a staff meeting in Columbia on Thursday and that it is highly likely that a decision will be made as to when DNR facilities will close to due the pandemic.

I'm sure we know it's not a matter of "if" but "when".

It is suggested that after this Thursday you call the range first before you head out. 803-240-7368
Link Posted: 3/18/2020 9:59:01 PM EDT
[#21]
Going to an outdoor range should be okay as long as it isn't crowded.  When Ponti and I have been there it is often just a few people.  Weekends it gets busy.
Link Posted: 3/20/2020 9:06:57 AM EDT
[#22]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Going to an outdoor range should be okay as long as it isn't crowded.  When Ponti and I have been there it is often just a few people.  Weekends it gets busy.
View Quote
Nope.

@ErikS

ALL DNR RANGES ARE NOW CLOSED UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE.
Link Posted: 3/20/2020 9:18:42 AM EDT
[#23]
I hate to see that happen. It's nice that I belong to a private range with less than 50 people.
Link Posted: 3/20/2020 9:24:38 AM EDT
[#24]
All ranges operated by the State Forestry Commission are also closed until further notice. That means Manchester range (don't know if there are any others)
Link Posted: 3/20/2020 11:49:16 AM EDT
[#25]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
All ranges operated by the State Forestry Commission are also closed until further notice. That means Manchester range (don't know if there are any others)
View Quote
Sucks, but gotta be safe.

ETA

Friend shot this morning at Wateree. They close at 1430. Unk when they will reopen
Link Posted: 3/20/2020 2:45:39 PM EDT
[#26]
I'd estimate the closure at 3-4 months. Hope I'm wrong.

I was at Simpsons gun counter this morning and mentioned the closures. Some guy buying a pistol looked like I'd taken away his lollipop; he had planned on breaking it in Saturday morning. Sorry.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top